XCOM - Enemy Unknown

Wainy316

Spoiler, not sure if you'll want to know this for your first playthrough, but it's useful to know: The alien base mission will reset panic of all countries (apart from those who've abandoned XCOM), to the lowest rating, so it may be worth delaying it until you have countries at max rating, gearing up and leveling soldiers, then doing it to reset panic. Just be careful not to wait to long as you'll lose them.

I think actually (highlight to show):

it only reduces worldwide panic by 2 bars. Could just be a difference of Classic mode.

For myself, I just completed the game on Classic mode with 30 losses overall. The biggest problem for me was the strategy aspect. I think I had lost 5 or 6 countries by the end and China was also at 5 bars by the time I attempted the final mission. I was never sure if the playthrough was going to end in defeat or success, so I guess the difficulty was perfectly pitched for me. It wasn't Ironman, so there was reloading involved of course, but I mostly only reloaded squad wipeouts, from the start of the mission. Losing a single mission in Classic mode would have meant losing the entire game TBH, and I wanted to see the ending on my first play.

The game was a real, real bitch overall, but the Colonel-tier abilities you get really change the game. Colonel snipers are mind-blowing - both Double Tap and In The Zone are awesome to have, especially in conjunction with some of the abilities you get from late game armour. With skills like that I was struggling less and less as the game went on. I didn't lose any soldiers in the last few missions, although I finished a couple while soldiers were bleeding out (which saves their life). I also almost totally ballsed up the last few enemies in the final mission, which made for a tense finale.

Great, great game. My game of the year easily. I think I'll have a long break from it before diving back in on Ironman, though, because despite being addictive as hell it is pure tension and stress at every step.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, i really enjoyed this. It's so perfectly balanced in regards to difficulty and reward. Really excellent, one of the games I enjoyed 'winning' most this gen.

Anyone played Enemy Within?

I was a massive fan of Laser Squad on the Amiga and XCOM was very much in the same envelope.

Julian Gollop. 'Rebelstar Raiders' was the first incarnation, a Spectrum classic.

I'm not a massive retrogamer, but another Gollop title, 'Chaos' is the Speccy title I've always gone back to.

Â