PC software shops

PussEKatt

I will be in England next month and I was wondering.

Which shops have the largest range of titles ? this will stop me from going all over the place. I am also hoping to find a couple of older games that are not avaiable any more. Is there a shop/shops that sell old/used PC games.

I will be living in London but I will be in Birmingham a few times ( to watch Villa ) so preferbly shops in these 2 locations.

Thanks in advance.

In London, Tottenham Court Road Computer Exchange used to be your best bet - I don't know if it is any more since I've been away for years. They even used to have a retro gaming section in the basement. I never visited the one in Brum.

Almost all my PC gaming buys nowadays are digital downloads or ordered through Amazon for physical copies.

EDIT: changed the link, the store I was thinking of with the cool basement was the Rathbone Place store.

There are two CEX shops in Birmingham, the original one is below street level on the crossroads of Corporation Street and Bull Street. I used to go in there all the time but I havent been in for ages. There is another one somewhere in the Bullring apparently.

Oh, and you do know there is only one way to travel from London to Birmingham, dont you? ;)

There are two CEX shops in Birmingham, the original one is below street level on the crossroads of Corporation Street and Bull Street. I used to go in there all the time but I havent been in for ages. There is another one somewhere in the Bullring apparently.

Oh, and you do know there is only one way to travel from London to Birmingham, dont you? ;)

Thanks Rev, I checked out that website and it looks very promosing.I will be living mainly in Thornton Heath for 9 weeks and apparently its really easy to go to london from there.

Do all the CEX stores have older PC games, or just the ones you have mentioned ?

Btw. I already have my tickets for the WBA and Spurs games, so if you see a guy wearing an eyepatch and a Villa shirt come over and say hi.

The other CEX in Brum is only a little one that sells/buys mobiles. Unless there is a third one?

The big one does have PC games, not sure how old they are though. I never look in that part - they're at the end of the store from where you walk in, down a small set of steps, next to the PS2 games. I went down there once out of curiosity to see how much they were flogging PS2 games for, and it reeked of BO. I mean, more so than usual for a CEX. So I've never gone into that dark and dingy section ever again.

Yeh but for srs, you should try Steam. Or at the very least have a look at gog.com, loads of old PC games on there to download, and they're DRM free. You'll be hard pushed to find many old PC games in stores now I'm afraid...

Btw. I already have my tickets for the WBA and Spurs games, so if you see a guy wearing an eyepatch and a Villa shirt come over and say hi.

Why you weard eyepatches? 8)

I wear an eyepatch because 18 years ago I had a brain tumor, it is called an " acustic nuroma ) the muscles on the left side of my face are weak because of it and because of this I can`t blink properly.I also have no feeling on the left hand side of my face, so the eyepatch is to protect my eye.If I got something in my left eye I would not know it ( no feeling ) and my eye could dry out because I cant blink properly.

So, the eyepatch is for protection only.

Thanks for the info about the PC games, will definately check it out when I am in Birmingham.

Can this be the questions about eyepatches thread now?

Do you have a selection of them, or does one just do the job everyday? Like, when you down to the Villa, will you have a claret and blue one?

Your're going to be in Thornton Heath? Thats about a mile from Croydon. Regrettably for PC gaming, there is a Game store (there used to be 3!), but it only has a narrow selection of games, mainly the latest, Xbox ports!

There are 2 CEX stores (second hand shops) in Croydon, one about next to Easy Croydon Station, but I don't think they do games/software anymore, just s/h phones and DVD's. 200 yards down the road is the second, lager CEX but they have a pretty poor selection,of mainly pretty old stuff. To be honest, for PC games, the Croydon branch of Game is about the worst one I've been in - you'd think PC gaming was dead.

There is 1 further indie store about 50 yards down towards the centre of the town, but again, very limited. To be honest, I've not managed to buy a single game I fancy and as a new convert to Steam, have bought all my games there.

If I were coming over from Oz I would make a UK steam account while here and gift a ton of games to my Australian account too. Cheaper games, and uncensored versions ahoy!

I'd check Amazon too. If you have a UK address for postage you can buy Amazon gift cards from pretty much any supermarket and pay for stuff that way which gets around the credit card problem. There are usually quite a lot of bargains to be had on Amazon if you want boxed copies of games.

On the London midland line ?

Hell no!

Well,what train should I/we get ?

Buying Amazon gift cards sounds like a good idear.I will check it out.

@ Juju.Thanks for that info as well. Iwill check out what you suggest as well.I am definately going to check out that CEX store in Tottenham and I intend to take a look at PC Plus in Oxford St.

Steam is no good to me because the sort of games I like are not on steam.Here is a list of my top 5 games ( in no particular order )

Panzer Corps

Close Combat:The Longest Day

Steel Panthers

The Blitzkrieg series

Civilization 1 and 4

So, now you can see why I am after older games and also you should be able to see why Steam is not suitable.

As for the eyepatch I just wear a black one.Sometimes for a laugh I take my patch off and put on a pair of glasses instead ( for protection purposes only )What I see out of my left eye is further away than what I see out of my right eye.So without my patch I see some really fantastic stuff.

Chiltern from Marylebone. We have free WiFi and everything! (and you might, just might get The_Rev as your driver...)

Thanks for that Rev.

If you see a guy on the platform with an eyepatch, can I have a little drive ? I promise to keep my patch on so that I dont see funny things.

Hell no!

@ Juju.Thanks for that info as well. Iwill check out what you suggest as well.I am definately going to check out that CEX store in Tottenham and I intend to take a look at PC Plus in Oxford St.

Steam is no good to me because the sort of games I like are not on steam.Here is a list of my top 5 games ( in no particular order )

Panzer Corps

Steel Panthers

The Blitzkrieg series

Civilization 1 and 4

So, now you can see why I am after older games and also you should be able to see why Steam is not suitable.

Have you tried Good Old Games?

Hell no!

Panzer Corps

Steel Panthers

The Blitzkrieg series

Civilization 1 and 4

GOG looks good, and they have a couple of games that I am after as well.

Syd Myers Alpha Centuri

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord

So where are they ? or is it download only ?

Hell no!

Panzer Corps

Steel Panthers

The Blitzkrieg series

Civilization 1 and 4

GOG looks good, and they have a couple of games that I am after as well.

Syd Myers Alpha Centuri

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord

So where are they ? or is it download only ?

It's all download, but it is DRM free. CHANCE!

Â