UK Census results released.

The_Rev

The census results are coming out, only England and Wales today (Scotland and Northern Ireland later in the year) but the population increase is bigger than expected.

The population of Wales is officially over 3 million for the first time ever.

The population of England now stands at 53 million.

I expect the majority of the increase is due to net immigration, especially people coming in from Poland. It will be interesting to see a more detailed breakdown of the census as the days go by.

We were amongst the states that benefited most from the opening up EU immigration - we were one of the states that choose not to put in place restrictions on internal EU immigration following the ascension of the Eastern European states (many did put in temporary barriers and saw little gain), so kinda makes sense.

I seem to remember reading, however, that following the recession beginning to bite, the Eastern European immigration began to slow down fast and actually quite few moved away from the UK as the benefit to being here slumped in turn with the economy. I do wonder, had the census been done a couple of years before, if the number would have been even higher...

I do wonder, had the census been done a couple of years before, if the number would have been even higher...

I know its only anedotal but my father works in the manufacturing industry and this does fit with their experience. On the other hand some settled Eastern Europeans, scared of the Tories rhetoric on bashing them are now beginning to go through the citizenship process. Which is interesting and kinda nice.

And yes, I am a beardy, sandaled liberal, without the beard or sandals just the sentiment!

Fair **** play to the immigrant influx - doing the jobs the indigenous scum bags are too **** lazy to take on.

Hey, Liverpool is only a small area inside the entire country :|

Â