Stock Market

AvfcTheObsession

I've been working in finance for a while now, and thought it would be interesting to start investing in the stock market (only on a small scale). I just wondered if anyone on here was into it and had any tips for a complete newbie to it?

Use small positions in the beginning until you start to master the game.

Never trade the news.

Before you make a trade, write down the trading plan. Why you want to make the trade, planned time horizon for the trade, what your expectations for the trade is and when you gonna close the trade if it goes the wrong way. Never do things that you have not planned. Stick to the plan.

Cut your losses (use stop loss) on the trades that goes the wrong way.

Let your winners run (examle is if you get a 10% profit, do not sell the stock, put in the stop loss at break even, and stay in the position). Lot's of people keep their losers and take profit early on the winners, and end up losing a lot.

BTW, I trade futures at CMC Markets.

Just took a short EurUSD at 1.2660 and a short SPX at 1364,59.

Plan EURUSD: Fade the news from the EU summit friday morning. It seems that the deal (which we have not heard detalis of) is all talk and does not solve the problem, which is too much debt. Stop loss is put at 1.2710 (if I am wrong). Profit target is 1.25 area.

Plan SPX: Fade the news from the EU summit friday morning. The last minutes spike on SPX Friday also seemed to be window dressing for the second quarter. Stop loss is at 1370. Not sure what profit target is realistic, but will move stop to Break Even when/if 1350 is reached.

EDITED: Profit taken on half EURUSD position at 1.2590. Stop loss on remaining at 1.2660.

Profit taken on half SPX at 1357.17. Stop loss on remaining at 1365.

phone old people and sell them shares

That way, you don't even need to bother with real shares! Just make up a nice sounding company, 'the Kate and Will British Cake Company', explain it would be an investment for their grandchildren, that they need to keep it secret for Kate and Will's sake, and that you're worried they'll miss out on the free pen if they don't sign up straight away, bingo! It's all gravy from there.

That's what I do anyway.

Â