Website Design Advice

tonyh29

Need to revamp our Company website a bit (ok a lot)

I've started to dabble with it myself but i didn't really plan it through very well and then never really finished it as more pressing matters get in the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some software I can use to have another go ?

I was looking at Joomla as there are templates that I can use and modify or should I move away from PHP ?

or should i just pay and get someone in that knows what they are doing ?

Joomla or Drupal. I suspect you can get either as an online service if you want to have a play.

I can't offer more advice when I have no idea what you use (or want to use) the web site for.

just info about the Company really and our services , only a couple of pages .. We don't rely on the web for business as most Research people would use Industry stuff to find us , but it wouldn't hurt to have something professional looking in place

I'm working on a project at the moment and having to email companies all over Europe , I'd imagine the first thing they do after receiving my email asking them if they were interested in bidding on a few hundred K's worth of business was to check out our website to see who we were.... It was the same process of me checking perspective companies out that highlighted that I'd be better off taking our website down than just having it in it's current half finished state :oops:

i'd use cms (joomla, drupal, worpress etc.) for websites with loads of content, news and articles added daily etc.

use html/css for simple web pages. Use google to find some free templates and edit them

let me know if you need some help

It depends how much you want to spend on one really.. If you know someone than can do it then see how much they'd charge but I imagine itd be a few hundred quid or so. But you'd know you'd be getting a solid professional design for that which is worth it.

Or if you want to DIY I'd look at Wordpress. Probably the easiest CMS to use personally. Have a look at themeforest.net or wpshower.com . Fairly easy to set up, most come with documentation which helps if you get stuck!

thanks for the suggestions folks

I've found a template I like In Joomla , going to have a look at that in a bit more detail ..will probably pay someone to create it and i can do the maintaining and updates

Â