Thomas Cook in the shit!

wiggyrichard

Looks like Thomas Cook are in the shit. Now this is not good at all!

We get married in Mexico next June and guess who our booking is with...yep, Thomas **** Cook! Although the booking has been done through Thomas Cook, it is booked with Hayes & Jarvis.

Question, if Thomas Cook go under will we still be alright? Balance is payed in full, best part of 5 grand!

ATOL protected?

Exactly what i was going to say.

Air Travel Organisers' Licensing (ATOL) is a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) scheme to protect people who have purchased package holidays and flights from a member tour operator.

The majority of UK tour operators are required to hold an ATOL licence, without which they may not legally sell air travel. ATOL licenced firms will have had their business practices inspected by the CAA. An ATOL licensed tour operator must also obtain insurance bonds from the CAA. The aim of this is to provide refunds to travellers affected by any event which causes the airline to be unable to provide travel for its customers, and to arrange for flights (in addition to accommodation and other items which may be included in a package holiday) to return home those who are still abroad at this time.

Because the likes of Thomson know that the bank of ATOL are going to be paying out they will be fighting to get a hold on all of the pre-booked TC holidays and laying on extra flights and transfers etc (as well as looking like they're saving the day) to cope with the demand.

Thomson in particular has rode to rescue a few times over the past couple of years when smaller companies have gone under.

the only potential risk is that TC are so big nobody can handle the extra capacity and more refunds rather than rebookings will be issued.

If I were you I'd line up an alternative booking incase they chuck your money back.

you are ATOL protected.

also if you paid in full Hays and Jarvis if they are completely seperate will take that booking on.

I imagine if they are sensible they will only pay them commission on departure so it means if they take the booking on they won't pay TC commission so they will be happy to do so.

when agents have gone bust out company have taken on the booking instead.

not everyone does this though.

Thomson are the big players throughout europe. if they go under everyone in travel should just give up.

their website is very functional and converts well. they are well established online and have a direct offline and online presence with first choice and thomson stores.

the merger proved successful and they managed to reduce their staff numbers in the process.

their margins could be improved though but they are so big they just sqeeze that from other operators and hotelliers to soak up as much as possible.

they can deliver big volume so most peopel give in.

they are like Tescos when it comes to travel. if TC go under they will soak up so much of their share they may have to think about a monopoly side of things in the travel market. they would need to be careful.

If you do get screwed over for whatever reason (which if ATOL protected and the reson I put above you should be fine). I can always sort you out a nice wedding package in a luxury resort in Turkey if needs be :)

you are ATOL protected.

also if you paid in full Hays and Jarvis if they are completely seperate will take that booking on.

I imagine if they are sensible they will only pay them commission on departure so it means if they take the booking on they won't pay TC commission so they will be happy to do so.

when agents have gone bust out company have taken on the booking instead.

not everyone does this though.

Thomson are the big players throughout europe. if they go under everyone in travel should just give up.

their website is very functional and converts well. they are well established online and have a direct offline and online presence with first choice and thomson stores.

the merger proved successful and they managed to reduce their staff numbers in the process.

their margins could be improved though but they are so big they just sqeeze that from other operators and hotelliers to soak up as much as possible.

they can deliver big volume so most peopel give in.

they are like Tescos when it comes to travel. if TC go under they will soak up so much of their share they may have to think about a monopoly side of things in the travel market. they would need to be careful.

If you do get screwed over for whatever reason (which if ATOL protected and the reson I put above you should be fine). I can always sort you out a nice wedding package in a luxury resort in Turkey if needs be :)

Top man! :thumb:

Â