Photography?

trimandson

You mean the 17-55 2.8 that I also bought last week, its a very nice lens :nod:

I decided against the 70-200 2.8VR though and bought the 80-400 4.5 VR instead, should be picking it up today

Which lenses btw?

Yep that one you bought... :) I'm gonna get the 70-200 2.8 VR because the 2.8 and the VR is important to me for work. I'm looking to sell the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which it will replace and the sigma 10-20.. arrrgh.. sacrifices must be made.

trust me the money hasnt come from taxi driving, anyway got to get used to all my toys before my French Hols in July, then its back to try to attempt some live band photo's which you might be able to give a little helping hand with as you've done a bit yourself haven't you?

trust me the money hasnt come from taxi driving, anyway got to get used to all my toys before my French Hols in July, then its back to try to attempt some live band photo's which you might be able to give a little helping hand with as you've done a bit yourself haven't you?

Aye, there are one or two on my site at the mo i think.. .maybe not as wild as you´re after but the techniques the same.

Peter - Nice lens mate, a little out of my price range unfortunately. Think i might just bite the bullet and get this Sigma one i was looking at.

Bickster - That IS a lot of purchasing, are you getting these new from a shop or is there a cheap place i havn't heard of? (ie. ebay... which i have heard of before i get the smart ass comments)

This is my first attempt at a RAW conversion. Comments are more than welcome, and if anyone has a better way of blending the two conversions so i don't get so much 'halo' on the horizon, let me know. I tried a few techniques, but this is just a feathered selection of the foreground and some dodging/burning, which is the best so far. Help!

img2838attempt1oh8.jpg

This is my first attempt at a RAW conversion. Comments are more than welcome, and if anyone has a better way of blending the two conversions so i don't get so much 'halo' on the horizon, let me know. I tried a few techniques, but this is just a feathered selection of the foreground and some dodging/burning, which is the best so far. Help!

img2838attempt1oh8.jpg

Technically i know nothing about it at all. The shot does have that 'doctored' look about it but it is still beautiful, nice one! :D

Actually if you have it in a larger format can you upload it to imageshck so i can nick it for a background. Ta.

drstupid, I take it you are combining two versions of the same image, altered in RAW conversion to give a great dynamic range?

If so I may be able to help but later in the week, I take it you are doing it in Photoshop? If so I have a photoshop action I can mail you

Ihats a great shot, I expect the hogwarts express to run me over at any time now

(and you are right, it was a lot of purchasing and no theres no secret cheap place - lets just say I treated myself with a bit of a legacy)

Cheers for the comments guys, cheered me up no end! Took me a while but i eventually found somewhere to upload the original file. It's 5mb, so it'll take a while to download, but you're welcome to use for a desktop if you wish.

large version

drstupid, I take it you are combining two versions of the same image, altered in RAW conversion to give a great dynamic range?

If so I may be able to help but later in the week, I take it you are doing it in Photoshop? If so I have a photoshop action I can mail you

Ihats a great shot, I expect the hogwarts express to run me over at any time now

(and you are right, it was a lot of purchasing and no theres no secret cheap place - lets just say I treated myself with a bit of a legacy)

Yeah Bicks, it's a combo of two RAW conversions using Photoshop CS2. The tutorial i have for this sort of thing uses a gradient map, but it appears to be useless if the horizon isn't straight (as in this image). Also, the valley on the far left was in bright sunshine, and seems a little out of place in the B&W image (can't decide), so i might need to do a 3rd conversion for that bit, but maybe there's an easier way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Funnily enough the shot's taken not far from the 'Hogwarts Bridge', but we ended up going to Glen Nevis instead (will post some ND filtered waterfall shots sometime from up there). It's very un-nerving standing so close to the rail tracks and concentrating on your camera... i really had to look behind me every few seconds as there was a bend in the track, so no advance warning of any trains!

Love the urban landscape shot, exactly the sort of thing i like taking. Almost abstract.

Might have gone for a bit more contrast between the red brick and the whitewashed wall though... just personal preference, i tend to find that mid-grey a little offensive when it pops up in my images.

mid grey is the digital photographers friend learn to love it ;) Nah I know what you mean really DrS, needs a bit more PS work methinks to increase the contrast

Anyway here's another macro, this one I'm quite pleased with the effect, even if it is a bit of a cliché

whiteroselithfh8.jpg

Â