Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

But Curbishley is unrealistic. It's just as pessimistic as thinking we'll get Villas Boas is optimistic.

How on earth is Curbs unrealistic when he was interviewed this season? The board may still be interested in him now GH looks to be going. How is it likely Villas Boas will join when his already looking to be one of the best managers in the world who'll surely be attracted by one of the big CL teams? :?

Was he actually interviewed or is that just rumour? Regardless of that, it's not very likely Cubrishley will be appointed over the summer. It's much more likely that we'll get Hughes, Benitez, Jol, Moyes, Allardyce or even Houllier staying on.

I never said it was likely that we'd get Villas Boas. :| In fact, I specifically said it was unrealistic when I said it's unrealistic to expect Curbishley and that thinking we'll get Curbishely is being just as pessimistic as expecting to get Villas Boas is optimistic. Seriously, do you do this on purpose?

You basically said that Curbs was unrealistic when there's much chance of him coming than Villas Boas. You didn't actually say it was impossible and vice-versa towards the Porto manager. Curbs is still realistic because the club was interested enough to give him an interview and they may seem as the next best thing after GH. Villas Boas? No chance. Why on earth would he come to us anyway?

I'm not doing nothing on purpose. You seem to have this habit by telling people "I never said this or that" when you expect them to follow your every word when your sentences are implied that way. You certainly didn't dismiss that both managers were impossible to get, so I used the word likely, which I saw fit into the discussion.

IMO Curbishley is unrealstic - same as Villas Boas.

Habit? You put words into my mouth that weren't there when you said "how is it likely we'll get Villas Boas?" when I never said anything like that, quite the opposite in fact.

You're not saying it's impossible though. It's totally different because unrealistic means there's a likely chance no matter how small it is. That's why I used the word as I've already explained. Please stop expecting people to follow your every word.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not saying it's impossible though. It's totally different because unrealistic means there's a likely chance no matter how small it is. That's why I used the word as I've already explained. Please stop expecting people to follow your every word.
Actually, unrealistic means there's an unlikely chance. I'm not expecting people to follow my every word, just basic English.

Actually, unrealistic means there's an unlikely chance. I'm not expecting people to follow my every word, just basic English.

So the basic English would be something like "How is it unlikely we'll get Villas Boas?" Yeah, that would have made sense. :lol:

Likely

Definition: Worthy of belief; probable; credible; as, a likely story.

Hence why I used the word.

But it's not likely we will get Curbishley. There is a small possibility, it is unlikely. When something is likely it has more than a 50% chance of happening. Curbishley is not likely.

But it's not likely we will get Curbishley. There is a small possibility, it is unlikely. When something is likely it has more than a 50% chance of happening. Curbishley is not likely.

Likely also means probable. I just fancied using the word likely.

The Porto manager seems impossible though. I don't see why he should be compared.

why is it unlikely? i think he'll be 1 of the main candidates

why is it unlikely?

Did you read his post? I think he explained it rather well.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I reckon you should lay off the drugs. He is never going to Manage Aston Villa. I'll give both you and VT £100 if it happens.

ancelloti? mourinho?

what the f... are you lot smoking? ancelloti wants to win more champions leagues, as does mourinho, avfc may not be the ideal club to do that with right now...

I honestly don't think Mourinho is that far fetched.

I stopped reading here.

If Mourinho is our next manager I'll do a naked balloon dance in the centre circle at his first game

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I reckon you should lay off the drugs. He is never going to Manage Aston Villa. I'll give both you and VT £100 if it happens.

why on earth not?

why is it unlikely?

which 1? the 1 that i quoted?

Curbishley? File under: Never going to happen and move on.

I don't see why some are dismissing him completely. The club were actually interested enough to give him an intreview back in September.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8964724.stm

What's to say he was the second best person after GH and still remains that way? I certainly wouldn't want him, but I won't be surprised if he does end up as the manager. Don't forget the board still want to trim the wage bill down and he seems like a guy who would be happy enough to sort it out.

why is it unlikely?

Yes. The one where he defined what he took "likely" to mean, and explained why Curbishley didn't fit that definition.

He almost literally spelled it out.

So the basic English would be something like "How is it unlikely we'll get Villas Boas?" Yeah, that would have made sense. :lol:

Likely

Definition: Worthy of belief; probable; credible; as, a likely story.

Hence why I used the word.

Unrealistic is almost the opposite of likely. Likely implies a good a chance of something happening where as unrealistic implies an unlikely chance of something happening.

why is it unlikely?

Yes. The one where he defined what he took "likely" to mean, and explained why Curbishley didn't fit that definition.

i still don't see why he's an unlikely candidate, he definitely appeals to me, he's done a good job wherever he's been and seems to be a good man manager

There are so many better candidates out there than Curbishley. Not only that but I just really cannot see him being appointed. If we go for somebody already in a job it'll probably be Moyes or Hughes, if it's somebody out of a job then it'll probably be Benitez or Jol.

why is it unlikely?

i still don't see why he's an unlikely candidate, he definitely appeals to me, he's done a good job wherever he's been and seems to be a good man manager

Are you posting for effect Sir Gary? Sacked by Wet Spam for taking them in to the Champions League? Oh, hang on, no, not quite. He's **** shit. Did ok at Charlton because he knew them inside out. Why hasn't he been taken on by anyone else since West Ham? Plenty of clubs have changed Manager since. You're underselling Villa by a country mile.