Weekend in Liverpool

iancharlie

Dear all,

Me and my fiancee are going to liverpool for a weekend away in a couple of weeks. Neither of us have been to Liverpool and i have booked us into the hilton in Liverpool city centre (right by Albert docks) and i am looking for help on:

- where is a good place to eat? (we like nice restaurants) /go out in Liverpool?

- what is a good thing to see in Liverpool (Beatles apart).

Hope you guys can help! Muchos gracias!

Grapes Pub behind Lord Street is good for a laugh!

Never been as drunk as I've been in there a couple of times.

Tate is a good idea as Bicks says, that whole area is worth a look with the architecture around the Liver building being worth a little bit of time to look at if that's your thing.

Seriously, I know you shouldn't stereotype whole towns, but fwk me, stuff nicked from our party on a few consecutive visits including stuff taken from hotel rooms including stays at the Thistle and Malmaison.

The only town in a nationwide building programme (that included Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc) where we had to employ security guards at the gates in the middle of the working day.

There are occassional exhibitions in the crypt of the Rock Cake Cathedral, Le Corbusier last time I was there.

You could always do some stadium tours too!

Being at the Hilton, you are surrounded by shit overpriced cafes and restaurants in Livepool one.

There, fixed that for you.

There is one decent place to eat in Liverpool One though and thats Lunya just at the back of the bluecoat. Its a catalonian / english fusion tapas bar. Food is excellent if you like tapas. The tortillia with corned beef in sounds awful buts tastes great.

Everton have a shop in Liverpool one called Everton Two, so their address is Everton Two, Liverpool One........ a nice touch :D

Its even funnier than that, its next door to the Liverpool FC shop in Liverpool One, so you have LFC SHop Liverpool One next door to Everton Two :mrgreen:

I'd attempt to book some tickets for the Liverpool Royal Court were there is usually some fantastic comedy shows on. More than often starring local comedians I have never disliked one. At the moment, Scouse Pacific is showing and as Andrew Schofield stars I'd definitely go and watch it.

As for going out, it depends what type of night out you want really. I always enjoy Matthew Street and if you're a first timer to Liverpool you might as well go to The Cavern. The is also a high rise bar located near the Liver Building were you can get a decent view of the city and the River Mersey.

As Bickster touched on, the Tate Art and Walker Art Museums are worth a visit. I think the World Museum is okay but I'd prefer to go to the Merseyside Maritime Museum. There is also the International Slavery Museum located at the Albert Dock. If you don't mind a bit of travel, Speke Hall is also worth a visit.

Added are the two cathedrals. Definitely worth visiting as well as the Philharmonic Hall were you will also find some of the best pubs/bars in Liverpool that serve British Ales. As for restaurants I'd look no further than Il Forno on Duke Street. This is also located by a Malaysian and Mexican restaurant (owned by the same individual) that are equally as good.

p.s. I have never had anything stolen and I've lived here all my life.

Oh and for something completely odd, check out the Williamson Tunnels, Just on the edge of the city (get a cab, the hill is a killer :D ) a network of tunnels built under edge hill that serve no purpose whatsover, they were built by some eccentric philanthropist back in the day to keep the locals employed. Worth an hour of your day just for the complete oddness of them

Another eaterie to consider is Puschka on Hope St, bit more up market sort of upmarket British / French cuisine (you might be as well booking here though as its small and busy esp Sat night

thats great thnak you! much appreciated. i know all the stereotypes about pool but we thought we would give it a go! we like italian/british/mexican food generally but all your recommendations sound worth checking out! we are probably likely to get a meal out close by on the friday night as wwe will be travelling there after work (so prob within ten mins walk of hotel) and then explore a bit more on samstag.

Bickster those tunnels sound very odd - we may have to take a ride to see them. Thank you for the ideas on what to do! will check them out too and see what looks best!

If you want somewhere close for the Friday night then Lunya is definitely a good bet, you won't even have to cross a road as its in Liverpool One. Also nearby is Jamie Olivers Italian if overpriced Italian food with shit service is your thing (Been twice, and the service actually got worse on the second visit). There's Bistro Franc which is right by the hotel on Hanover St. Over the road in the Albert Dock theres a few places to eat but I never go there so I can't tell you what to expect and they'll be packed if theres something on at the Arena.

Also close theres the top floor of Liverpool one shopping centre on South Hunter st, which has all kinds of stuff, mainly chains like Wagamama, Gourmet Burger Co, Yo Sushi, Pesto, SOme all you can eat Buffet Place, that French Chain whose name escapes me. Up the side of the hotel theres also Zeligs (an Italian, never been though) and Below it is a Sports Cafe but as thats owned by Jamie Mr Liverpool Carragher I'd avoid it like the plague.

There are absolutely loads of places to eat within 2 mins let alone 5 mins of your hotel. Can't think of a mexican nearby but theres just about everything else

Â