Ultimate Enlightenment? (Synthetic life)

Gringo

Does this achievement  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Does this achievement

• Signal the next step in human evolution
    • Signal the first step in the end of the human race

JulieB, I think it'll be a long, long time before this research is advanced enough to be used to create any sort of weapon, i'd imagine we'll all be long dead before that happens.

To put a slightly more optimistic spin on things, think about the advancements in medicine that this could bring! If we know how to grow specific organisms from scratch, we'd know how to code for specific organs, grow them from scratch and remove the need for any donors, the same could be said for blood. Think of the lives that could be side by eliminating transplant waiting lists! Alternatively, bacteria could be specifically coded to attack other harmful bacteria, or even tumours like cancer. Hell, we could eventually weed out practically every detrimental genetic condition by advancing the practices of screening zygotes etc.

The possibilities are endless!

As far as the poll goes, I can't see it signalling the end of the human race or anything like that, I'd imagine the singularity will be the most likely cause of that.

Guns don't kill people etc etc..

True but then again in the wrong hands they do and if you own one then your far more likely to get shot than if you don't own one.

On past record even if good things come from it.... this mutation science will be used to find new weapons of mass destruction and the technology will be sold for profit ..of that I have no doubt!

Guns don't kill people etc etc..

True but then again in the wrong hands they do and if you own one then your far more likely to get shot than if you don't own one.

On past record even if good things come from it.... this mutation science will be used to find new weapons of mass destruction and the technology will be sold for profit ..of that I have no doubt!

Why do you care anyway ? Are you not hoping for and expecting the apocalypse to come anyday now ?

JulieB, I think it'll be a long, long time before this research is advanced enough to be used to create any sort of weapon,

I don't think I agree... you and I might not get to find out about it but I'm pretty sure there will be a military side to all this.

Sorry if that sounds cynical but someone said something similar to me regarding this news a while ago that no one is exactly

sure how the HIV virus originated and I agreed and it made me think.

Why do you care anyway ? Are you not hoping for and expecting the apocalypse to come anyday now ?

No I'm not going to be goaded. I'm too busy.

You know very well what I've posted regarding the events that have been foretold to happen and the order in which they are foretold to happen at a time when mankind would be ruining the whole earth.

You can scoff all you want but I am not going to give you or anyone else another opportunity to start trolling again, because it just ends up with some of Athiests on VT hurling insults.

It's a pity because some of my closest collegues are Atheists and we've had come lively discussions but it doesn't stop them being friends who I care about. In fact one is going through a hideous divorce at the moment and I've tried to help him alot because he's in a right state and he's the staunchist Atheist you could wish to meet!

No I'm not going to be goaded. I'm too busy.

You know very well what I've posted regarding the events that have been foretold to happen and the order in which they are foretold to happen at a time when mankind would be ruining the whole earth.

Edited - In hindsight my comments were over zealous.

Julie B - as far as I'm aware the HIV virus came about by interaction with host DNA, that produced a mutation that is detrimental to humans. HIV isn't universally detrimental, the vast majority of organisms are unaffected by it, conversely there are many virus strains that are lethal to other animals that have no effect on humans. A similar situation occurred when the flu virus interacted with pigs, certain mutations occurred that made the virus incredibly detrimental towards humans.

I think for the sake of both our sanity, I won't comment on your second post ;-)

How can you pretend to care about humanity as a whole when your life is devoted to a cult who would love the world to end tomorrow ?

I edited my orignal post.

I care about fellow humans because I am caring person and being a Christian means you have to care about others before yourself.

Go find someone else to troll because I am NOT rising to the bait.

Julie B - as far as I'm aware the HIV virus came about by interaction with host DNA, that produced a mutation that is detrimental to humans. HIV isn't universally detrimental, the vast majority of organisms are unaffected by it, conversely there are many virus strains that are lethal to other animals that have no effect on humans. A similar situation occurred when the flu virus interacted with pigs, certain mutations occurred that made the virus incredibly detrimental towards humans.

I think for the sake of both our sanity, I won't comment on your second post ;-)

I just don't trust the military. I live next to an army camp in a village in the middle of a very rural area.

There's allsorts going on the artillary ranges and as I posted a while ago there have been recently a cluster of mutations and birth defects in the area which seem rather strange. My best friends baby being one of those effected. With the news of this happening to a much greater extent in Iraq. I find the whole matter suspicious and when I hear things like this "new science" then I am sceptical.

How can you pretend to care about humanity as a whole when your life is devoted to a cult who would love the world to end tomorrow ?

I edited my orignal post.

I care about fellow humans because I am caring person and being a Christian means you have to care about others before yourself.

Go find someone else to troll because I am NOT rising to the bait.

Edited - Over zealous comment withdrawn

Please see your pm. This type of post is against the site rules. Blandy

Human life is just an "entrance test" to an eternity of servitude in a "better" place and is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, if you subscribe to christianity. Don't pretend to value the earth and human life when you actually want death and destruction.

That is completely so wrong and so NOT what I beleive! .... No wonder you think I am one confused lady!!

If I say I'm not discussing I'm accused of ducking the issue but I really don't care.

You are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. However...this is completely off topic.

As with others if you have any genuine questions then PM me and I will respond as best

I can as I have to any question that has been put to me.

You know that some scientists believe that the first people to live to 1000 years old have already been born. That's stem cell research though.

Gosh I hope I'm one of them

The crux of the matter is however, that you and likeminded people see the end of the world as a time when Jesus will return triumphantly to take you away. So please don't pretend to care about humanity when your religion has made you believe that we are DESTINED to destroy ourselves thus paving the way for Jesus 2. Can you not see where I am coming from ?

The Crux of the matter is that NO that is not what I beleive. You've got it wrong! So NO I do not see where you're coming from.

My post was about how science tends to be manipulated into producing weapons even when it's being developed for possibly good purposes. It mentioned nothing about my beleifs whatsoever. You are the one who deliberately brought my faith into the debate. WHY? Are you saying that because of my faith I am not allowed to express an opinion on any matter on VT, unless religion has to be bought into it?

I am asking why you even care if we destroy ourselves when you "Know" it is "DESTINED" to happen.

I've sent you a short PM in response.

Awww. I wanted to know too :(

Back on topic.

JulieB - It is almost inevitable, and incredibly unfortunate, that this kind of research will be implemented in future military technology, as is the case with all major scientific advance, but I would think that the benefits of this kind of knowledge will far outweigh the consequences. That is of course assuming that Al Qaeda don't get hold of it and create some kind of super AIDS.

Are there any VT posters who are 'in the know' in this kind of field?

edit: not the AIDS part

Â