Next leader of the Labour Party should be.....

chrisp65

and the next Labour leader should be......  

132 members have voted

1. 1. and the next Labour leader should be......

• Dave Miliband
    • Ed Balls
    • Ed Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Dennis Skinner
    • Eddie Izzard
    • Workers co-operative along marxist leninist lines
    • Pointless box for token inclusion of celt fringes
    • None of the above
    • Ross Kemp
    • A Female
    • Dianne Abbott

When has Balls said there does not need to be any cuts?

As for his plans on spending money - have you actually read what he has said?

we must set out an alternative plan based on protecting vital services, boosting jobs and growth, fair tax rises and steadier deficit reduction.
I watched the question time with all the Labour leadership contenders and while he never specifically said he would not implement spending cuts, he shook his head and strongly disagreed with Andy Burnham who came out and admitted there would have been cuts and job losses under Labour had they won the election. Not only that, but he goes on about building new homes and schools and not cutting funding. According to him, doing that will get the deficit down.

I'm also a big opposer of this idea that the government should "create" jobs. While all the Labour contenders seem to adhere to that philosophy Ed Balls is probably the most vocal about it.

EB's correct about the Economy.
Like Brown he's probably the most out of touch with reality and what's really going on with the economy.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Brown he's probably the most out of touch with reality and what's really going on with the economy.
What a load of nonsense. Brown knew what to do with the Economy; he managed to stabilise the finances of the Country in a global financial meltdown, and signs of growth have been reported. There's leading Economists who have disagreed with the Tory's budget plans.

Are you a big supporter of the idea that the government should "destroy" jobs?
No, I just don't think it's the government's job to create jobs. Entrepreneurs and businesses are the ones that should create jobs.

Alright, I'll say it - I don't like big government.

What a load of nonsense. Brown knew what to do with the Economy; he managed to stabilise the finances of the Country in a global financial meltdown, and signs of growth have been reported. There's leading Economists who have disagreed with the Tory's budget plans.
What, by getting the country's financies into an even bigger mess than they were in?

The Tory's budget plans aren't perfect. I'd make a few changes to them if I could.

What, by getting the country's financies into an even bigger mess than they were in?

The Tory's budget plans aren't perfect. I'd make a few changes to them if I could.

I think you need to remember this was a global recession, not Gordon Brown's nefarious plan to ruin the Country's Economy.

I think you need to remember this was a global recession, not Gordon Brown's nefarious plan to ruin the Country's Economy.
Oh no I'm nto saying Gordon Brown had some sort of plan to ruin the economy but I certainly don't think he was very competent with running it, particularly when he was chancellor.

Entrepreneurs and businesses are the ones that should create jobs.

And if they aren't (creating jobs)?

What happens if a lot of those businesses and 'entrepreneurs' rely upon government spending for being in the position where they might create those jobs?

Alright, I'll say it - I don't like big government.

That's all right - you can say it you know but I think that you are providing yourself with two options which aren't the only ones.

Oh no I'm nto saying Gordon Brown had some sort of plan to ruin the economy but I certainly don't think he was very competent with running it, particularly when he was chancellor.
Just wait for Osbourne's work :lol:

What happens if a lot of those businesses and 'entrepreneurs' rely upon government spending for being in the position where they might create those jobs?

Too bad. Ultimately the economy will improve and businesses will be in a position where they need to hire more staff. It's unhealthy for a country when so many jobs rely on government money. What happens when the government runs out of a money a la Greece?

That's all right - you can say it you know but I think that you are providing yourself with two options which aren't the only ones.
So what's the third option?

Too bad. Ultimately the economy will improve and businesses will be in a position where they need to hire more staff. It's unhealthy for a country when so many jobs rely on government money. What happens when the government runs out of a money a la Greece?
It isn't "too bad", it's quite serious to cut sternly in the aftermath of a recession. I personally believe the Government should be active in creating work for the public, you need to keep the Economy productive, and people being unable to work will fail to keep the finances healthy.

It isn't "too bad", it's quite serious to cut sternly in the aftermath of a recession. I personally believe the Government should be active in creating work for the public, you need to keep the Economy productive, and people being unable to work will fail to keep the finances healthy.
Of course it's serious. I never said it wasn't. If the government was running on a surplus or even a small deficit I'd advocate investing but right now the government is running on a huge deficit.

Too bad.

Well, you've just wiped out a significant part of the economy.

Ultimately the economy will improve...

When is 'ultimately'?

What happens when the government runs out of a money a la Greece?

Did Greece 'run out of money'?

So what's the third option?

You didn't quite get it. My point was that there are more options than the narrow two which you are looking to choose between (there are a myriad more).

The country is bankrupt and needs to be returned to profitability. The spending under New Labour was ridiculous and totally unsustainable. I mean why the **** do the police need to be driving around in BMWs or Lexus'? That is a pure example of money wastage right there!

When is 'ultimately'?
Depends.

Ha ha ha. So it's an indeterminate length of time? Why use it ase a point of reference, then? 'Ulitmately the economy will...' means absolutely nothing at all.

Did Greece 'run out of money'?
Pretty much. The Greek economy collapsed under the weight of their debt repayments. That's what will happen here if we carrying on borrowing at the rate Labour did.

'Ulimately', maybe. :winkold:

In any reasonable discussion about the prospects of the economy - no.

The comparisons of the UK with Greece were utter sloblock. If you look at the nature of UK debt (not household debt) and compare it with Greece you would see that; if you listen to politicians who would like you to believe otherwise you would believe anything.

Ha ha ha. So it's an indeterminate length of time? Why use it ase a point of reference, then? 'Ulitmately the economy will...' means absolutely nothing at all.
As I said, it depends on the situation.

'Ulimately', maybe. :winkold:

In any reasonable discussion about the prospects of the economy - no.

The comparisons of the UK with Greece were utter sloblock. If you look at the nature of UK debt (not household debt) and compare it with Greece you would see that; if you listen to politicians who would like you to believe otherwise you would believe anything.

Why is the UK not comparable to Greece? Our economy is stronger yes but it wont be if we carrying on borrowing so much.

Why is the UK not comparable to Greece? Our economy is stronger yes but it wont be if we carrying on borrowing so much.

According to the nature of our debt, we were looking at having to refinance a significantly smaller proportion of it each year than the Greeks (and other economies).

Do excuse the (potential/likely) inaccuracy of my memory but I think we needed to refinance about 7% of our debt this year as opposed to Greece which was looking at something more like a quarter of its debt that puts a government and economy such as Greece's in a distinctly different position to our's.

Of course it's serious. I never said it wasn't. If the government was running on a surplus or even a small deficit I'd advocate investing but right now the government is running on a huge deficit.
You need to look past the deficit and put the needs of the Country's people first. The current plans by the Tories doesn't advocate progression or social mobility, I believe these to be two important aspects of twenty first century democracy.