Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I think it's harsh how people have totally dismissed Padfields bid and intentions, and I'm not sure why people seem to think Learner would be so much better than Padfield. Dont get me wrong I would love to see Learner to take over the club because it would mean new owners, but no more than Padfeild.

Perhaps if Padfield hadn't resorted to slanderous, xenophobic tactics, more people on this board would be a little more fair-minded about him. What he has said to the media goes a long way to revealing his character and intentions IMHO. :)

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's harsh how people have totally dismissed Padfields bid and intentions, and I'm not sure why people seem to think Learner would be so much better than Padfield. Dont get me wrong I would love to see Learner to take over the club because it would mean new owners, but no more than Padfeild.

At the moment for me - Simply because Padfield has been said to have made comments which I find astounding and completely unprofessional for someone supposedly trying to place a formal bid for AVFC.

I am not going to repeat these reasons, they are throughout this and the other main thread about Padfield for anyone who wishes to read them.

If AV06 had just come in with a formal bid that we were asked to approve, I would have been interested because I know to get to that stage it would have to completely overhaul Lerners in all areas.

But that hasn't happened, and now even if it did, I am still dubious of a consortia that hasn't just got on with the job of bidding for AVFC.

Perhaps if Padfield hadn't resorted to slanderous, xenophobic tactics, more people on this board would be a little more fair-minded about him. What he has said to the media goes a long way to revealing his character and intentions IMHO. :)

Well don't you think Learners tactics of pretending to pullout were a bit under hand?

Well don't you think Learners tactics of pretending to pullout were a bit under hand?

Pretended? It is well-documented that Ellis pissed him off, and he was ready to walk. Besides, if it was indeed a tactic, there is no real proof of that. There IS proof of Padfield's tactics, as we have actual quotes from the man.

Whose to say he was pretending and it was a genuine reaction on his part?

And even if it wasn't - to react against Ellis is one thing - to make a host of comments that range from (if they are from AV06 and Padfield as reported) xenophobic to outright lies - are they someone you really want?

Thanks - but no thanks.

Is your average American newspaper reader savvy enough to know it's not a general anti-American feeling, just a stupid desperate clearing in the woods ?

We're familiar with the breed. Indeed, I suspect that virtually all of us would agree that (at least) one of the major parties nominated one for the Presidency last time around.

(For the record, we're a politically mixed group at the OBR, but based on our political board most of us seem to lean Republican).

I can only really speak for the "right" side of the spectrum, but it seems to me that the UK is about the most popular other country right now. Poland and Australia are up there too. So any stupid comments would likely be seen as the ravings of a minority.

Now if a Frenchman were to say such a thing, that might be a bit of a different situation.

By the way, Condoleeza Rice is a Browns fan. :twisted:

Is your average American newspaper reader savvy enough to know it's not a general anti-American feeling, just a stupid desperate clearing in the woods ?

We're familiar with the breed. Indeed, I suspect that virtually all of us would agree that (at least) one of the major parties nominated one for the Presidency last time around.

(For the record, we're a politically mixed group at the OBR, but based on our political board most of us seem to lean Republican).

I can only really speak for the "right" side of the spectrum, but it seems to me that the UK is about the most popular other country right now. Poland and Australia are up there too. So any stupid comments would likely be seen as the ravings of a minority.

Now if a Frenchman were to say such a thing, that might be a bit of a different situation.

By the way, Condoleeza Rice is a Browns fan. :twisted:

Well hello there, my fellow right-leaning American. :winkold:

I must respectfully disagree with most Americans understanding that it is just a minority of the English who don't want Lerner to buy the club. But perhaps, that's because I'm in California, the Bay Area no less.

My opinion very closely mirrors runetunes on this.

I dont want a man who has to resort to the tactics of the gutter by trying to rubbish bids based on that basest of fears - xenophobia, to attempt to revive his flagging bid. he still can't even prove he has the money until next week, which will be a tad too late. He's trying desperately to keep his consortiums bid alive but is failing miserably. only thing he's achieved is getting Neville out of the spotlight for a day or so, that would be something to be greatful for if he wasn't a similar kind of character himself

And even if it wasn't - to react against Ellis is one thing - to make a host of comments that range from (if they are from AV06 and Padfield as reported) xenophobic to outright lies - are they someone you really want?

Thanks - but no thanks.

I just don't think you should completely write off his bid just for saying ''We are not American, and want to fly the flag."

I dont think he is trying to be xenophobic just that this is an English club competing in an English sport and that could give them an advantage one he would like to remind the fans of. As I've said I'm not saying I want Padfeild to win, but I don't see why people are so whole-heartly behind one bid as a pose to another when not much is known about one if not either.

I just don't think you should completely write off his bid just for saying ''We are not American, and want to fly the flag."

I dont think he is trying to be xenophobic just that this is an English club competing in an English sport and that could give them an advantage one he would like to remind the fans of. As I've said I'm not saying I want Padfeild to win, but I don't see why people are so whole-heartly behind one bid as a pose to another when not much is known about one if not either.

Because, as I've said before and will continue to say..... It isn't just about one comment from Padfield or AV06. I've said my various reasons are in this thread and others.

Its a combination of things that have made me very wary.

To put it simply - I do not want someone in control of AVFC who are happy to resort to some of the comments and tactics we've seen over the past couple of days.

Thanks - but no thanks.

I think you should however realise that anyone that has to resort to such tactics has indeed lost the fight to all intents and purposes. They are the actions of the boxer on the ropes who throws a punch below the belt. Padfield has lost and he's become desperate.

As for the English team in English league and being English would be an advantage, erm name me the last succesful English manager in this English league. Football is a world sport, you don't need to be English to understand it

Because, as I've said before and will continue to say..... It isn't just about one comment from Padfield or AV06. I've said my various reasons are in this thread and others.

To put it simply - I do not want someone in control of AVFC who are happy to resort to some of the comments and tactics we've seen over the past couple of days.

I'm standing right beside you on this one Runetune. 8)

I do not want Padfield.

This comment:

"We are not American, and want to fly the flag."

Makes no difference. Actually, it could just be seen as a statement of fact -he is right, they ARE NOT American.

The article that appeared in the Evening Mail also makes no difference to me. It was written by the world's worst journalist who has a tendency to lie. The quotes were from a 'source close to the consortium' and could not be attirbuted directly to Padfield himself.

His interview on Five Live, he sounded like a bumbling idiot with no grasp of the English game. Again, it matters little, he won't be involved in the day to day running of the club.

But I do not want AV06.

I want Lerner.

I believe the Lerner bid is very well put together, it is everything we could have possibly dreamed of (and more) and will, basically, be impossible to beat.

That is why I do not want Padfield.

Thanks - but no thanks.

I think you should however realise that anyone that has to resort to such tactics has indeed lost the fight to all intents and purposes. They are the actions of the boxer on the ropes who throws a punch below the belt. Padfield has lost and he's become desperate.

As for the English team in English league and being English would be an advantage, erm name me the last succesful English manager in this English league. Football is a world sport, you don't need to be English to understand it

Did I mention anything to do with the manager being English we're talking about the owners.

Shoulder to shoulder? :P

Thanks - but no thanks.

Did I mention anything to do with the manager being English we're talking about the owners.

OK which of the top clubs are English owned

Chelsea - nope

Man Utd - nope

Arsenal - yep

Liverpool - Yep (for now - in the near future maybe not)

So thats 50% of the clubs we hope to eventually join being non English owned

Do you think being English is really that relevant or neccessary? I don't

Shoulder to shoulder :P

Notice, :P I didn't stay standing right 'behind' you.

Looks like your moral high ground on Padfield's xenophobia just collapsed, mind..

Looks like your moral high ground on Padfield's xenophobia just collapsed, mind..

:? Just trying to lighten the mood icklevillan. If I've offended, Im genuinely sorry.