Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Not a good impression is it ?

No its not

However, and its a big however, PR or the lack thereof doesnt impress me.

I want to see plans, I want to see numbers, i want to know whats going on

Now I really, really am impressed by what lerner has to offer, believe me. I have been massively impressed by how slick and efficient he has been, things that really cant be said of any of the others, but at the end of the day it is important that we get the best deal for Aston villa in the short, medium and long term.

Probably that is lerner, as it is hard to see how anyone could better it, but they might, and I just think that if they do, and if they produce a superb plan for Villa's future they;re going to be viewed as the bad guys who stopped randy taking over, and that troubles me alot.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, Padfield isnt going to run Aston Villa, the people behind him are. he's a high court judge, a mediator, a fixer, not a businessman. it doesnt matter who Padfield is from a footballing perspective, he's just the guy putting it together for other people

I want to know who is behind him, what his plans are

I just find this blind rush to randy a little bit scary, especially when it is possible there are better options available

What the hell is going to happen if lerner loses this? there's going to be alot of bitterness and recrimination around, because we got bought out? Its stupid and extremely dangerous. There is no guarantee that randy lenrer has the best bid guys, and i really, really hope that there isnt a major fallout if he fails

I agree. We need to keep an open mind to avoid potential heart break.

Like I said a few pages back, for Padfield's bid to beat Randy's, it would have to exceed his (Lerner's) bid and thus must be very exceptional.

Look, Padfield isnt going to run Aston Villa, the people behind him are. he's a high court judge, a mediator, a fixer, not a businessman. it doesnt matter who Padfield is from a footballing perspective, he's just the guy putting it together for other people

I want to know who is behind him, what his plans are

I just find this blind rush to randy a little bit scary, especially when it is possible there are better options available

What the hell is going to happen if lerner loses this? there's going to be alot of bitterness and recrimination around, because we got bought out? Its stupid and extremely dangerous. There is no guarantee that randy lenrer has the best bid guys, and i really, really hope that there isnt a major fallout if he fails

As has been said before, in that sense I suppose it's very much a win win situation but I've not like Padfield and his bid intentions ever since he couldn't be bothered to get off his holiday and bid and thus still very much prefer Lerner's intentions.

I agree. We need to keep an open mind to avoid potential heart break.

Like I said a few pages back, for Padfield's bid to beat Randy's, it would have to exceed his (Lerner's) bid and thus must be very exceptional.

Not a good impression is it ?

No its not

However, and its a big however, PR or the lack thereof doesnt impress me.

I want to see plans, I want to see numbers, i want to know whats going on

Now I really, really am impressed by what lerner has to offer, believe me. I have been massively impressed by how slick and efficient he has been, things that really cant be said of any of the others, but at the end of the day it is important that we get the best deal for Aston villa in the short, medium and long term.

Probably that is lerner, as it is hard to see how anyone could better it, but they might, and I just think that if they do, and if they produce a superb plan for Villa's future they;re going to be viewed as the bad guys who stopped randy taking over, and that troubles me alot.

Well we're not too far apart on that.

However, I just am influenced by what they are reported to have said and by what details of their bid has come out.

Like I have said all along "I am struggling to comprehend how any bid could top Lerner's and this is regardless of the money involved"

However, I do share your opinion that if it is better then it's better for Villa. I just dont think it is better, or can be and that this will just muddy the waters.

SoccerHQ,

But what if Padfield was waiting to see the other 'hands' before revealing his. Maybe that could have been a reason why he went away - he was in no real rush until someone else bid.

If totally confident about his bid, why wait?

The fact that they have not even signed a confidentiality agreement which means they can't conduct any sort of due diligence says it all about them so I can't help wandering what is their motive behind today's statement. I know Doug only wanted to only consider Lerner whilst it was a level playing field ie they all bid the same price.. I just have a slight nagging worry that if they did come in within 21 days with a £70 million bid and could prove that they could provide massive backing to O Neill for the foreseeable then he may start to have a rethink. Hopefully for once in his life Doug will do the right thing and stick to the deal he has struck and the one he has always maintained he wanted.

I am sure that wiythout the due dillenge it is impossible to bid for something and I am sure Rothschilds would not allow this.

OK so Ellis may be given an extra £2m but the offer money is not the only part of the bid.

I mean from today's statement it appears they won;t restart the training ground and without that the possibiltiy of attracting any top class players is slim.

Like I have said all along "I am struggling to comprehend how any bid could top Lerner's and this is regardless of the money involved"

However, I do share your opinion that if it is better then it's better for Villa. I just dont think it is better, or can be and that this will just muddy the waters.

Precisely Richard.

The overall package that Padfield is offering would have to be out of this world to beat Lerner's.

What he needs to do is honestly ask himself whether he can compete and, if not, piss off.

You see Richard we are not that far apart in our views...That's been my point all along "they will muddy the waters" Its something we don't need at the moment.

Ahhh but I am coming from the fact that they will only muddy the waters for the fans and small shareholders. I very strongly believe that Ellis and Petchey will not e swayed.

You seem to doubt that even though you say Lerner is Ellis's prefered option

probably been covered but

Statement from Browns owner Randy Lerner

August 14, 2006

On Sunday evening, Reform Acquisitions, which is owned by Randy Lerner bid for Aston Villa FC, a Premiership Football Club in Birmingham, England. This bid was made in accordance with British takeover law under which the bid must remain outstanding for 21 days after which, should there be no superior bid, the purchase would occur. In effect, the Club is a public company and is therefore being purchased from its shareholders.

“The basis for acquiring Aston Villa is that it is a storied Club dating from the 1870’s with periods of treasured memories and glory,†said Lerner. “Currently it faces the need for reinvestment in a variety of areas which many of its competitors have underway or have completed in recent years. The opportunity to be a part of strengthening Villa’s business operations and facilities represents a broad set of challenges that I’m eager to take on.â€

Cleveland Brows O/S

SoccerHQ,

But what if Padfield was waiting to see the other 'hands' before revealing his. Maybe that could have been a reason why he went away - he was in no real rush until someone else bid.

If totally confident about his bid, why wait?

To see what Lerner is offering?

To make final adjustments?

I don't really know.

Just from knowing Doug for so long I know that he can easily have his head swayed especially by cash!! Imagine if AV06 throw in "you can stay on the board Doug if you like" Just being devil's advocate here but until this is all completely done and dusted I will fret slightly. Whilst it was a level playing field on the bids ie the asking price Lerner was Doug's prefered option no question. Like I said I just hope for once in his life Doug does the right thing here... Honour the deal he has struck, the deal he wanted and ultimately the best deal for Aston Villa not necessarily Doug Ellis.

Can I just say that we are all forgetting one man in this. Herbert Douglarse Ellis.

He made a statement yesterday and will not want to back down on that or make himself look like a bigger eejit than he is. He will not want to look like he is not in control of this situation.

Lerner is his prefered option, of that I am sure. He will not want to change tack now.

I firmly believe that the 10 days will coincide with new owners being unveiled at the Reading game next week

Can I just say that we are all forgetting one man in this. Herbert Douglarse Ellis.

He made a statement yesterday and will not want to back down on that or make himself look like a bigger eejit than he is. He will not want to look like he is not in control of this situation.

Lerner is his prefered option, of that I am sure. He will not want to change tack now.

I firmly believe that the 10 days will coincide with new owners being unveiled at the Reading game next week

perfect timing eh ?