The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Internet rumours about Broner vs Malignaggi in June continue to circulate.   Any idea what weight they would meet at?  It would have to be some kind of catch weight, surely? 

Nah it would take place at welterweight. Broner walks around at 150lbs+ and is a very, very big lightweight so the weight would not be an issue. Also Paulie holds a belt at welter so it's a chance for Broner to become a welterweight champion and to use that as a spring board for bigger fights, e.g. against Mayweather.

A catchweight fight makes no sense at all because the belt wouldn't be on the line and no one cares about Malignaggi, catchweights only really happen when major players at different weight classes want to fight each other, Paulie don't have that clout as he's one of the worst title holders active in the sport.

Dr P, you don't rate Calzaghe do you?

No I don't, he's one of the most overrated boxers in the sports history.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Hopkins wins again and is now the IBF Light Heavyweight champion of the world. 

xZMRe51.jpg

The guy is 48 years old!  He isn't just great for his age, he is great. I dread to think what he would do to Clev. 

Edited by The_Rev

Wow just wow, B-Hop put on an absolute clinic, completely schooled Cloud who looked clueless for the most part. B-Hop = Master of craft.

It's amazing how a 48 year old has fought nothing but the best in the LHW division over the last 2 years but a bum like Cleverly, in his physical prime, continues to defend his paper title against no marks that nobody has ever heard of.

How many world title fights has Hopkins had now?  He defended his middleweight title 20 times in his first reign as champ (which is a record?) and unified the titles in that division. He has since worn the WBC and IBF titles at light heavy. It's got to be creeping up on 30 title fights?  

From what I've seen Broner v Malignaggi will be at 147, so I guess Pauli's belt will be on the line for that fight. Disappointing that Broner doesn't fight at 140 first, but alot of the good fighters in that division already have fights lined up/in the pipeline. Plus he can always move back down to 140 after the Pauli fight.

Will be interesting to see if Broner can carry his power up to 147, as for moving up 2 weight divisions, no different to Guerrero who I think did the same.

I need to watch the B Hop fight, a great achievement in any case!

The 140 division is stacked and there's a number of fighters in there that would give Broner a shit load of problems and likely beat him.

Broner of course has never stepped into the ring against a legitimate world class opponent. Going up to 147 to fight the weakest champ is fitting with his MO.

That said I think Paulie could give him a lot of issues, he has always had good movement, if he can show Broner some lateral movement and pop out that jab of his then he'll make the fight very competitive and have a chance for the upset. Broner is very stationary and I'm not sure whether he is actually that good of a mover himself. Plus most of the cans he has beaten up so far have been there to hit, static or come forward fighters. 

I'm still waiting for Broner to fight even world class (let alone elite level) competition before I can get interested. 

I like Bradley, he's as tough as they come, has a great chin and excellent movement and in-ring IQ, he did much better in the Pacquiao fight than a lot of people say. What he does lack is power.

I disagree that he lost to Witter, I felt he won quite clearly, a good feat given how young he was and how he was fighting in Witter's back yard.

Although I disagree with his comments viz. Pacquiao I like his confidence. I just can't hate on him.

So my boy Bradley is fighting on HBO tonight squaring off against Ruslan Provodnikov. Provodnikov is considered a puncher, his record is something like 70% KO/Win ratio. He has stopped 4 out of 5 of his last opponents, the one who wasn't stopped was the very durable 'Chop Chop' Corley. That said he has never been in with a world class boxer, Bradley is certainly that and I fully expect his skill level to be too high and he'll cruise to a UD.

Good betting opportunity with the Jesse Vargas - Wale Omotoso fight on the undercard. Vargas is a decent boxer who has a very good jab but not much in the way of power and isn't a particularly good mover. Omotoso has a lot of power at the weight he has stopped like 80% of his opponents, he can also put his punches together well and can move.

I believe Omotoso is at around 2/1 so is well worth a punt IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Wow Bradley in an exciting fight, what a shocker. Just a great fight that. Provodnikov's stock has risen considerably, the guy is a seriously hard hitter with both hands and has that come forward, high pressure style, we'll be seeing a lot more from him.

Bradley well, great chin and he put in great work throughout the fight, he busted Provodnikov up with right hands to the head but also excellent body work.

I personally scored the fight 114-112 to Bradley, I gave Provodnikov a 10-8 round in round 2, I didn't in round one although almost did (would have been 113-112 final score).

Bradley came out looking to stop this guy but backfired he made a great adjustment by starting to move a lot more and show Provodnikov some angles, I felt he pulled away by winning rounds 7-11 but nearly got stopped in 12. What a chin lol.

Oh and I thought the score cards for the Omotoso - Vargas fight were BS, it was close and I gave it Omotoso by a round. Vargas surprised me a bit with his power punching, he was loading up a lot more than usual and almost had Omotoso in round 5. Omotoso was a live underdog and IMO came through on that but well the judges clearly in Bob Arum's back pocket and I'm now 20 quid lighter!

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â