The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Finally got round to watching some of the action from the weekend.

Well Sturm continued his downward spiral by losing to Sam Soliman. It was a close fight that I personally gave to Sturm by one point, his knock down being the difference. I also felt that Sturm was landing the cleaner and harder shots and that a lot of Soliman's work was ineffective 'aggression'. Still Soliman clearly out worked Sturm in the later rounds. Sturm definitely over the hill and no longer a 12 round fighter IMO he loses it a lot as the fights go into the late rounds. Probably time for him to pack it in although there's some talk that he'll be fed to Golovkin. Golovkin would destroy him as Sturm likes to stand in front of his opponent with that guard up. Golovkin would just punish his body and even then, hits so hard he would still hurt Sturm even if his punches were partially blocked.

Also, the fight of the weekend was the overrated heavyweight 'prospect' Artur Spzilka going life and death with the very inactive and out of shape Mike Mollo. Terrific action and by the way, one of the worst ref's I've seen for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wWR0QtbLU&list=FLY8Swy2un3yCEeu8Lim9cAg&index=1

lol exactly, he did everything in his power to help the prospect even though Szpilka will be on the scrap heap very soon, the only reason I can think of as to why he's a 'prospect' is because he's a south-paw LOL.

When the ref told Mollo to "watch your **** head" I couldn't believe it, so unprofessional, I hope he's relegated to club fights for the rest of his life.

Yeah it's a biceps injury to Alexander, no word on when the fight will take place. I guess this is what you deserve for straight up ducking a title shot and looking to take the easier route like Brook did.

It's an awful first quarter to be honest, very disappointing.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Rumours are suggesting Alexander will take a fight with Floyd instead in May.

Oh and great thread btw, not many of my friends are boxing fans, so at least I can leave some views in here!!

Edited by SteveMac

Rumours are suggesting Alexander will take a fight with Floyd instead in May.

Oh and great thread btw, not many of my friends are boxing fans, so at least I can leave some views in here!!

Welcome.

I just read about Alexander vs Mayweather. I have to say (1) that's one of the most boring fights that could be made, Mayweather cruises to a very wide UD in that whilst also inventing the cure for insomnia.

(2) Brook and Hearn have been exposed as two of the biggest chumps in England. Bradley offered them a title shot at the back end of last year and instead they chose the IBF route, which consisted of fighting bums in order to become Alexander's mandatory. Well look at the dividend that has paid off... I guess Brook will now fight another bum in what is essentially a town hall fight in Sheffield and will then be scratching his head with Hearn looking for a title shot.

I do wonder what Brook's options are to be honest. When Mayweather schools Alexander and takes the IBF strap there's no way he'll fight Brook because Brook is a nobody and Mayweather is looking for fights against 'names' that generate money. Bradley would be a stretch because they refused him the first time around, however perhaps Bradley wants a tune up after a lay off and sees Brook as a very winnable fight. There's also Malignaggi who seems to have a love affair with the UK and is clearly the worst champion in the division. Would Paulie risk losing his strap when he can have easy-ish fights in New York.

Either way, Brook and Hearn = chumps.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

They are now saying that Alexander Vs Floyd will not happen!! I wouldn't mind seeing Brook against Malignaggi as I think Brook wins that.

Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez this weekend too I think, reckon Frampton will win, but will be tough for him.

Martinez IMO is a basic boxer, comes forward, basically just throws hooks has decent power. Contrary to what the Sky Sports hype jobers say he has never been 'world class' at the weight, he was schooled by an old Takalani Ndlovu and obviously Munroe beat him a couple of times.Given Frampton has like 15 pro fights this is the level he should be fighting at this stage, i.e. european level, I expect him to clear out Martinez but it'll be interesting if he gets caught.

I'm glad that the ref has told Frampton to stay upright, at times he is crouching down his head is in his knees and its taking away all of Martinez' target making it impossible to hit him, its not good defence its almost cowardly. Good scrap so far though.

Martinez is definitely the aggressor but Frampton is finding some decent shot's now

Â