The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Nice find Dr! I've never seen the full fight before, I didn't think the footage existed tbh. I've seen/heard/read more interviews with Pele Reid about that fight than I've seen fights of his.

That is some premium material for winding up the Klitschko evangelicals. Hopefully Fury gets his grubby hands on it!

It was urban legend for a long time, I've actually met Pele but didn't feel like bringing it up lol. The funny thing is that Vitali always denied it and said in one interview that the stoppage was due to accumulated kicks to the leg, thus preserving his 'iron chin' aura.

The fact that the kick was right on the chin and completely laid him out makes it hilarious. However obviously a kick has more force than a punch, so no real disgrace. Seeing the Klitschko acolytes running to his defence on youtube is funny though....

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He can bang, that's for sure but I didn't think much of Dallas jr at all. He was wide open on more than one occasion and trying to double up with a fairly ineffective jab against a man who can throw haymakers at will was just suicidal.  Mind you, Khan is guilty of such recklessness too... 

Yep stupid approach from Dallas.

Khan likes to wade in with his chin hanging out so prime for a Matthysse left hook. I also don't think Khan has the power to hurt Matthysse at all, Lucas would walk him down. What surprised me the most is that Matthysse officially weighed in at 138.5lbs but on the night weighed 163.5lbs. That makes him the Chavez Jr of the junior welter division. It's no wonder he can take a good punch, he's too big!

That said he's Garcia's mandatory so it'll be interesting to see how Garcia tries to duck him. Matthysse would IMO smoke him.

The Fighter is just starting on Channel 4.  Micky Ward biopic.  He is an interesting enough character for the film not to even be about his trilogy of fights vs Gatti. 

I have mixed feelings about the film. It's good but Wahlberg just doesn't pull off Micky Ward at all. Ward obviously was a junior welter, Wahlberg has the physique of like a light heavyweight lmao.

Also, they make out that Ward won a world title when he won the WBU belt, which isn't recognised by anyone as a legit. world title, it is a paper title. From a boxing POV his highlights were after beating Shea Neary, i.e. his fight of the year against Augustus and the Gatti trilogy.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

That fight ruined basically ruined Sanchez.

What's funny is how the film portrays his career, after Sanchez Ward lost to Vince Phillips and Zab Judah, the fight with Neary came like 3 years after he stopped Sanchez. The title shot given to Ward as presented in the film was actually for the IBF strap against Phillips (which Ward lost) and not for the paper WBU title.

I actually enjoyed the film but it does insult the audiences intelligence by making a load of stuff up and passing it off as real.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

That's true and obviously Ward and Eklund approved of it so no real problem. It's still something that bothers me though it basically ruined the film for me, skipping ahead is fine, but point blank lying to the audience isn't IMO.

It's interesting that they might make a sequel that focuses on the Gatti fights, let's hope they hire a good choreographer. I actually think a biopic on Gatti would be awesome.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

What has happened to the wallet inspector? He used to be a regular contributor to this thread but I ain't seen him about for ages.

I am pretty sure he had a tweet read out on bunces podcast...I can't see there being too many people who go by that name anyway

Tis a shame because this thread literally consists of three peoples opinions

We need to raise awareness of the ''Witton Lane'' Boxing Chat' thread

on a side note I was listening to Fury bad mouthing the Klitch's and Price again last night, he said he is going to put Price in a car crash.

As much as I like watching Fury because he is a bit of a pantomime boxer (and he has improved) I **** despise the bloke

Yeah he has definitely pulled away from him and that has essentially provided him with the excuse to not fight Price.

I think you actually said in a previous post that the Thompson fight could work out really well for Price if he manages to get him out of there early on and in style because that would really boost his name when you consider how Thompson got on against Klitch.

Isn't David Geale fighting on Friday?

I am sure its this weekend he is fighting Mundine...and Kimbo Slice is fighting someone as well so that should be good for a freakshow, its on Boxnation I think.

The longer the fight goes the more of a chance Thompson has, if Price can catch him big early it'll be over in like round 2 or 3 and it'll be a great win. But Thompson is a decent boxer, he's a south paw with decent skill, good on the inside (a huge weakness of Price) and does have a knock out punch. He's 41 but only turned pro at 29 so he's not the bum some people are making out IMO. He did well in his first fight with Wladimir before getting stopped late so this is a really good test for Price.

Geale is actually fighting in like an hour or so against Mundine yeah. Mundine was a good boxer but probably past it now, he gave Kessler a decent fight many years ago but did somehow manage to get knocked out by the featherfisted Sven Otke. I expect Geale by a wide UD but should be firey as they hate each other and Mundine did beat Geale in a controversial fight a couple of years ago.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â