The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just read that Johnny Nelson is coming out of retirement to fight Ovill McKenzie

Will have to watch that one so used to seeing Nelson as a pundit i'll be cheering him on

What a joke, wasn't he coming out of retirement to fight someone a few months ago as well

Technically his footwork is supreme. On top of that he has the sort of 'off balance' power that very few have (Kovalev is another example of this although their styles are different) - by that I mean he often doesn't need to have his feet obviously set in order to throw power punches that hurt you (e.g. see the Geale knockout). I think he opitimises the phrase 'heavy hands', some of the punches that hurt his opponents appear to be taps, and his jab is pretty destructive. 

He's a genetic freak. 

Agree 100% with this, I thought Rubio might be able to drag it to at least 6 rounds as he started well, but GGG is just a beast.

• Like 1

Hated him, I've just took a look at his record and I don't know barely any of the names that he fought, now I was only a nipper at the time but I always used to watch prince nas in the hope he would get KTFO

if his record and level of opponents as poor as it looks or was I just to young to remember that they were actually decent?

Hated him, I've just took a look at his record and I don't know barely any of the names that he fought, now I was only a nipper at the time but I always used to watch prince nas in the hope he would get KTFO

if his record and level of opponents as poor as it looks or was I just to young to remember that they were actually decent?

He was the best featherweight in the world for a few years and I believe held, at various points, all of the recognised titles at that weight, the names aren't 'there' because the division wasn't exactly blessed with names but he beat/stopped a lot of world class operators.

Also, what a lot of revisionists who hate Naz fail to recognise is that he was heavily ducked by Morales, Barrera (who he did eventually fight and lose to) and Marquez (watch the post-fight interview in the Augie Sanchez fight where HBO admit as much). 

Personally, I think he's one of the best British boxers ever and should definitely be in the International Boxing Hall of Fame. 

• Like 1

Oh I don't dispute that he was fantastic, I just couldn't stand him, I always thought it was strange the way that one defeat ended his career

I think he lost a lot of his appetite after losing to Barrera. It was, despite some decent rounds for Naz, a very one sided defeat. According to Emmanuel Steward Naz didn't really take Barrera seriously and didn't train particularly hard for the fight since he believed he'd knock him out quite easily. Apparently Naz thought he was fighting the Barrera who lost and had been dropped and seriously hurt by Junior Jones, rather than the rejuvenated Barrera that he faced off against that night.  

His return fight a year later against a journeyman didn't really impress and I recall him getting boo'd out of the stadium that night. On top of that his hands were supposed to have been a complete mess by that point (which often happens to very big punchers) so he called it quits. He made an absolute fortune, he must be one of the richest boxers of the last 20 years, and by all accounts saved a fair amount of it so on reflection it was probably the right time to quit. 

It's an open question as to whether he could have hung with the likes of Morales, Marquez and the emerging Manny Pacquiao, he probably couldn't, but with his power always had a chance, that said, he was a fantastic fighter. 

Dr P did you watch the Katsidis fight the other week? I didn't see it myself, I really hope he calls it a day now, I really liked him but the man doesn't know how to do anything other than war and it's obviously taken it's toll

He's completely shot to shit and has been through far too many wars. He quite recently had some negative results from a brain scan (something he admitted himself) but has amazingly been allowed to fight on, you'd think the British boxing board of control would know better. 

Anyway the net result was that he was knocked out by a non-puncher with a shot that wasn't even very heavy. It's a shame but I don't think he's able to stop fighting. 

He's give us some great fights over the years, like his fights against Casamayor, Amonsot and Juan Diaz, but should be banned from lacing up the gloves ever again for his own sake. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Yeah it was concerning when he came out of retirement, he should have jacked it in after the Burns fight, you could see then that he was finished, I'll always remember the fight against Mitchell, great knock out that was

Agreed, love watching arrogant clearing in the woods getting sparked out.

B-Hop v Kovalev on Saturday at 2am

Will Kovalev blow him out of there with his power or will B-Hop spoil him out of the fight which we all know he is a master at

Me myself I think it's a massively dangerous fight for the alien and I was shocked when he took it

Â