The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

did anyone watch Frankie Gavin last night, he got beat didn't he, heard it was a split decision and he was put down in the 6th

Only caught a little of it. He dropped like a sack of shit after a punch to the liver area. Looked finished but managed to hang on after a long count. Warren trying to get a re-match afterwards showing little respect to Bundu.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit of a toss up fight in my eyes. 

Kell Brook is a very big welterweight, not only is he a lot taller than Porter but he also rehydrates well above the junior middleweight limit on fight night. Brook IMO has more power than Porter, Brook has power in both hands, is very accurate, and doesn't really waste his punches, like Canelo Alvarez his output isn't that high but he likes to make it count. Another thing Brook has is good timing, and this could be key, because Porter likes to leap in from way outside and surprise his opponent, this will give Brook lots of chances to time Porter onto big shots. 

Porter on the other hand has excellent feet, that's his biggest asset, he closes distance very quickly, enabling him to transition from the outside in very, very quickly. It also makes him an excellent pressure fighter as he can have his opponent on their back foot and very uncomfortable. Porter has power, especially with the left hook and overhand right. Also, despite being small he has very long arms so can hit you from far out when it looks like he doesn't have the measure to do it. On top of this is the better athlete than Brook, he can go the distance at relentless pace. 

Brook seems to struggle with pressure, Carson Jones, a significantly inferior boxer to Porter took Brook to the brink in their first fight because he stayed on Brook's inside, smothered Brook and cut the ring off effectively. Shawn Porter can do all those things much better than Jones and also has more versatility since he is adept at 'jabbing his way in'.

Brook tends to pull back from his punches straight up and stiff, making him open to big left hooks and over hand rights...

Porter looks to bring the pain and I think he will rough Brook up and work openings, but again Brook will have plenty of opportunities to land his power shots as long as he doesn't come out cold and get hurt early. 

Brook has been mollycoddled, which has seen him rack up a 32 fight unbeaten career (to put that into perspective that's the same amount of fights as Amir Khan and only one less than Tim Bradley), but has seen him fight not a single prime, world class fighter. His lack of experience could be fatal in a fight like this.

I also think Brook has looked a little nervous in the pre-fight stuff, his behaviour was odd in the final press conference. He was rambling a lot and tried to walk off before the face off, and oddly shook De La Hoya's hand before it. Brook is well known as being a confidence person who has a lot of nerves and self-doubt, hopefully this will keep him on his toes rather than making him freeze.

It's an intriguing and in principle a close fight but I can't help think Porter will when, Brook's only chance is to stop him IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Porter is gonna knock brook the fack out!! I hope im wrong but im confident I wont be. Brook has fought NO ONE. A list of tomato cans, european level fighters like Hatton and senchenkho and warm up fights like carson jones. Yet carson jones and senchenkho both had him rocking on his feet.

A decent puncher like porter who has fought much better opposition will destroy him. Is brook better then devon Alexander? No way, yet porter beat alexander easy.

Even if brook manages to take it to a close points decision, the chances of getting the decision on a golden boy card against a goldne boy fighter is slim.

Id love never more then brook to win but I dont think he has done anything or fought anyone as near as good as porter to suggest he can pull it off.

Majority decision, but the two who scored it wide to Brook got it right. 114-114 was ridiculous.  Dunno what the Sky Sports commentary are on either.

I felt it was quite close but Brook exposed in Porter a lack of ring IQ, Brook was the one landing the clean shots, the crisp counters and managed to visible hurt Porter a couple of times. Porter was sloppy and rarely landed any good shots to Brook's head and his body attack didn't really take anything away from Brook. I was surprised that Porter gassed a bit in the second half of the fight but that's probably because he expended a lot of energy on in-effective attacks and Porter's power shots were probably having an impact. 

I did feel at various points that Brook was being too patient, I felt opportunities were there to let his hands go more and put more punches together. At one point he landed a nice 3-4 punch combination on Porter to good effect, if he would have done that more he may have been able to drop Porter.

But it was impressive from Brook who has finally made the step up, I'd like to see him fight Khan next, Keith Thurman is also an interesting fight but a massive risk.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â