NBA

Vojskovoda

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

An analysis of Hakeem Olajuwon's performance in Ramadan

Starting with the 1990-91 season, when he became more observant and changed his name, Hakeem strictly observed Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, which required him to forgo food and drink from sunrise to sunset. One of the enduring myths of his career is that his game actually improved during this time despite the fact that he played through hunger and often without drinking fluids. In 1997, for instance, he scored 32 points in a win over the Bulls in a game in which he didn't hydrate. In February 1995, he averaged 29 points per game and was named NBA Player of the Month, even though the entire month fell within Ramadan.

Hakeem himself thought he was better during Ramadan and has said in interviews that his statistics went up when he was fasting:

But it's true. When I was playing, we were travelling and all my team-mates were drinking water. To me, it didn't matter. It made me stronger and my statistics went up; I was better during Ramadan, more focussed… lighter.

At the beginning of my career, when my team-mates heard I was fasting during the season they thought it would affect my game and were concerned. But when they saw that it actually made me better there was a lot of admiration and intrigue: 'How can you play at this level without drinking water, when you must need water and must be thirsty' they would ask.

But did fasting actually boost his stats? Intrepid FD reader Eric Marsh ran the numbers, and the math says not really.

5114229304_9808544b81_z.jpg

Except toward the very end of his career, when the fasting graphs tick up noticeably, Hakeem's Ramadan stats barely waver from his career averages. Which means that, by the numbers anyway, not eating or drinking didn't make him a better player. But it didn't make him a worse player, either, which is frankly impressive enough.

(I thought there was a thread specifically about Ramadan fasting on here, but couldn't find it, so here was probably the best place for it)

I wish the Heat will crash and burn! Manchester City of the NBA.

I hope that Suns or Dallas will shock the world, but unless Bryant will retire tomorrow, this won't happen.

Still, since I am a Minnesota fan, that does not concern me. I just hope we won't finish last. Up The Timberwolves!

The NBA has a salay cap, there can't be a Man City of the NBA. (Just a group of players who're willing to sacrifice $$$ for titles).

Aren't you a Knicks fan?

Nets. :(

lets go clips. hoping for a .500 season then follow in the path of OKC who i think could be a top 3 seed in the west this year. I'm also rooting for the Heat and in particular LeBron, cant stand the Lakers, particularly Kobe, Pau and that prat Fisher.

The NBA has a salay cap, there can't be a Man City of the NBA. (Just a group of players who're willing to sacrifice $$$ for titles).

True, but that does not matter. The fact they have 3 super stars who chose to play together in order to increase their chances to win the title disgusts me. Much like Milner who went to Man City "to win some silverware".

True, but that does not matter. The fact they have 3 super stars who chose to play together in order to increase their chances to win the title disgusts me. Much like Milner who went to Man City "to win some silverware".

Of course you want to increase your chances at winning, that generally goes for 90% of sporting moves accross the World.

I don't blame LeBron anyway, he did alot for Cleveland and they never once attempted to give him any help, oh, except for 1 season with an ancient Shaq.

• 1 month later...
lets go clips. hoping for a .500 season then follow in the path of OKC who i think could be a top 3 seed in the west this year. I'm also rooting for the Heat and in particular LeBron, cant stand the Lakers, particularly Kobe, Pau and that prat Fisher.

The only thing commendable about this post is the part where you called Fisher a prat. :winkold:

Basketball fans are more defensive than darts fans it seems ! :D

He started it!

In all seriousness tho, diehard rugby fans are by far the most defensive I have ever come across. They have a massive complex when it comes to football and must constantly try to prove that their game is somehow superior and more pure.

Of course you want to increase your chances at winning, that generally goes for 90% of sporting moves accross the World.

I don't blame LeBron anyway, he did alot for Cleveland and they never once attempted to give him any help, oh, except for 1 season with an ancient Shaq.

You'll note that EVERY personnel move in the LeBron era was made w/ HIS input. That includes the disgusting Larry Hughes and Donyell Marshall contracts. That's what happens when you kowtow too much to a star player.

And in defence of the Cavs' front office, they put together a killer defensive team and some great role players, players that allowed LeBron to just go ahead and do his thing. The problems in Miami so far show the value of that approach. And the Cavs' unexpectedly high win total proves that it wasn't just LeBron and a bunch of scrubs.

Â