General Chat

Stevo985

But curry would be one of those Mike. Not traditionally regarded as healthy but it is one of the best things you can eat if you make it yourself from scratch. Far from eating rabbit food, I just started eating 'properly' for want of a better word.

The secret to losing weight is to buy a huge supply of porridge and not do a weekly shop. This way you have to buy your food each time you want to eat anything else, which is fine most of the time, but you quite often won't be arsed and just eat porridge instead.

Is curry actually fattening tho?
The fattiest thing in a curry is the oil and the accompaniments like rice & naan bread. Also, the stuff you get in jars is full of preservatives (& oil) and as for takeaways/restaurants, they're loaded with oil because it acts as a preservative. There might also be things like MSG which will fatten you. I control everything that goes into my curries and the only thing that has been processed will be the natural yoghurt or passata, neither of which contain any fat of note. I've worked out that the calories from one of my curries based on a typical serving is 400. That's less than you probably eat in a bowl of cereal in the morning. And the curry will fill you just as much as it would if it was bought from a shop.

Is curry actually fattening tho?
The fattiest thing in a curry is the oil and the accompaniments like rice & naan bread. Also, the stuff you get in jars is full of preservatives (& oil) and as for takeaways/restaurants, they're loaded with oil because it acts as a preservative. There might also be things like MSG which will fatten you. I control everything that goes into my curries and the only thing that has been processed will be the natural yoghurt or passata, neither of which contain any fat of note. I've worked out that the calories from one of my curries based on a typical serving is 400. That's less than you probably eat in a bowl of cereal in the morning. And the curry will fill you just as much as it would if it was bought from a shop.

Recommend any recipies on curries BOF?

The secret to losing weight is to buy a huge supply of porridge and not do a weekly shop. This way you have to buy your food each time you want to eat anything else, which is fine most of the time, but you quite often won't be arsed and just eat porridge instead.

I disagree. If you're forced to eat something in that manner then you'll eventually resent it and won't want to eat it ever (even for breakfast). It's also a little impractical to have to go to the shop every time you want to eat something. I've found that filling your house with a variety of healthy stuff works better. If a system isn't sustainable then it'll stop working eventually.

On top of which Turmeric, Chillis, Tomatos, Garlic, Onions... all very good for you. :thumb:
And the best of them all, ginger. Add in cumin and coriander and you've pretty much got the healthiest thing you can eat, which is what I said. I tells ya, Indian cuisine is the best on the planet when done right and it's an easy way to LOSE weight :thumb:

It just takes effort to do, that's all.

I disagree. If you're forced to eat something in that manner then you'll eventually resent it and won't want to eat it ever (even for breakfast). It's also a little impractical to have to go to the shop every time you want to eat something. I've found that filling your house with a variety of healthy stuff works better. If a system isn't sustainable then it'll stop working eventually.

To be honest, it's a system that I use only at work. We have porridge provided for free at work and my inherant lazyness means that i'm happy to settle for this more often than i'm prepared to venture to the shops.

There's also the fact that i'm broke, so it's a bit of a no brainer.

I do find that eating healthily comes at some cost though. Pizza can be bought for £3, but anything healthy (hot and filling) will set you back atleast twice that amount.

Recommend any recipies on curries BOF?
This is my own creation and it's the one I worked the calories out on (per portion). You might want to adjust the heat downwards though... And as I said, rice, bread etc is extra.

Love Vinegar in currys.

Hence a traditional Vindaloo has always been one of my favourites.

There's also the fact that i'm broke, so it's a bit of a no brainer.

I do find that eating healthily comes at some cost though. Pizza can be bought for £3, but anything healthy (hot and filling) will set you back atleast twice that amount.

I bought a piece of fresh haddock the size of your arm in tesco for €2.76 the other day. I follow their specials. A bag of spuds and a few veg and some stock will make a stew that you can eat for about a week. I'm not saying eating junk isn't cheap, but I disagree that eating healthy is any dearer. Of course you CAN spend more eating healthily, but you also don't have to. You could also spend more eating junk if you wanted.

I found that the main difference between the 2 ways of eating is the effort required, and I will concede that I'm not always in the humour of starting something from scratch, but that's where the old fried eggs on toast come in. Fast food, good food. I also find that because I make curries or stews, there always seems to be something ready to eat from a previous day's efforts, so I rarely have to scurry around looking for grub.

To be honest BOF, they're rarely good. I'm talking Tescos special Piri Piri chicken with Jalapenos. Though a really good Romana Pizza with anchovies & capers is the food of the kings.

My treat is a tesco ham & mushroom pizza. Ham & mushroom is my favourite kind, so it's a happy co-incidence that it's not only their cheapest own-brand pizza but also has the fewest calories :D

Â