From Mine to Milan: The Gerry Hitchens Story.

LancsVillan

From Mine to Milan: The Gerry Hitchens Story.

Author: Simon Goodyear.

ISBN: 978-1-85983-752-8

There is a good chance that the majority or VTers will go "Who?", there will be some who can remember their Dad raving about some former Villa player and of course there are some who were obviously fortunate enough to have seen him play in CnB.

However, here is a biography of one of, if not the, best centre forwards to have graced Villa Park. Written, in no small part, from the aspect of a Villa fan researching a former great to honour not only that player's but also his own father's wish to put this great story down for all to read.

Simon Goodyear does an excellent job of capturing the spirit of the game through the 50's and 60's, especially the differences between the English game and the Italian one. While Gerry Hitchens may well be a true Villa great, he is best known in Italy where he outlasted such greats as Denis Law and Jimmy Greaves (who in turn remembers Gerry in the foreword).

With input from some of the best players of the days, the book is well set out into sections, the main one being his life story and then breakdowns of some great matches Gerry played in (including our best post-war win 11-1 v Charlton almost 50 years ago now), tributes and his playing record.

So if you want to read about a former Villa player who scored in the Bernabeu, the San Siro, one who scored on his England debut and excelled wherever he went, I recommend you get a copy of "From Mine to Milan" as I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Win with VT:

Normal sort of competition. Please predict the score AND attendance for our match this weekend at Goodison.

e.g. Everton 0 - Villa 0 Att: 34,567

Due to the cost of postage this competition is only open to UK residents - sorry. There will be more comps coming up that will be open to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
Simon Goodyear will be signing copies of his new book – ‘The Gerry Hitchens Story – From Mine to Milan’ in the Villa Village on Saturday 14th November 2009. Joining him will be Peter McParland, Bobby Thomson, Jimmy MacEwan and Ronnie Wylie.

The event is to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Villa’s highest post-War victory on 14th November 1959, when we beat Charlton 11 – 1 and Gerry Hitchens scored 5 goals.

Come along to the Villa Village and meet the author and the four Villa legends from 12pm to 2pm.

or you can buy the book here.

Â