Ashley: Newcastle set to join SPL

NurembergVillan

Newcastle United could join a rejigged Scottish Premier League as early as the 2010-2011 season, owner Mike Ashley announced this evening following his club's relegation from the English Premiership.

The SPL has long been dominated by Celtic and Rangers "the Old Firm" and the prospect of northern English clubs joining them would lead to increased TV revenue and a dramatic rise in international interest.

With Europe an increasing obsession, clubs like Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool desire a reduction in the size of the Premiership. But in Scotland's case an INCREASE in the size of the league by adding northern giants such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Blackpool would give the league added appeal.

No one should doubt the seriousness of Newcastle's intentions in heading North. Mike Ashley, Newcastle's majority share-holder, said on Sunday that a move was "inevitable", adding that he felt "let down" by both Sky Sports and the Football Association whom he claimed had given him "assurances" that Newcastle would avoid the drop. But defeat against Champions of People's Hearts, Aston Villa, put paid to those "promises".

Brian Quinn, Celtic's chairman, claimed at Celtic Park on Sunday that the top Premiership clubs "relish" the prospect of joining the Old Firm, a view endorsed by a fat man with no shirt on outside Villa Park after Newcastle's lacklustre defeat.

The Premier League insist there are "no plans" to change the structure of the 20-strong division. But with Newcastle no longer under their jurisdiction the Toon Army would be free to move to the Scottish league where Ashley claims they would "get the love and respect" they "deserve".

Jumping borders may concern UEFA, not to mention the Scottish and English FAs, but Newcastle know their lawyers would have a case at Brussels where, in a world altered by Bosman, they could argue restraint of trade and movement. UEFA might struggle to explain why Monaco can play in the French League, Cardiff City and Swansea in the English but Newcastle cannot in the SPL.

"This club deserves to be in the Champions League year-on-year", Ashley concluded, "and a move to Scotland - our natural home some would say - means our amazing fans would get what they deserve".

The SportsDirect mogul went on to add that "the additional revenue generated would benefit the Scottish game immensely. I'm sure that the Scottish fans would be grateful to have us there and we'll show English football what they're missing. We were badly let down this season. Sky Sports and the Football Association promised me that they would ensure our Premier League survival if I appointed Alan Shearer as Manager for a publicity stunt. Now I'm left feeling that I've been made to look a right "publicity stunt" myself."

Clicky

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ARTICLE HERE IS A COMPLETE FABRICATION AND THE QUOTES ATTRIBUTED TO MIKE ASHLEY AREN'T TRUE AND WEREN'T MADE BY HIM. IT'S A BIT OF FUN WITH NO INTENTION OF CAUSING ANY HARM.

THANK YOU.

I don't believe the disclaimer.

Brilliant stuff - which I have plugged at Salut! Sunderland - short link - with an obvious credit to Villa Talk. As my pal said yesterday, you were the heroes of our day

It was the bit about SKY and the Premiership giving assurances that they wouldn't go down that made me start sniffing for a conspiracy theory...! It'll only be a matter of a few years before there is another re-jig - but I think it'll be the old firm teams coming south to play.

• 5 weeks later...

Good bugger off to the SPL League, He ruined Newcastle United FC.

I think they'll have a big if chance of getting promoted back to the Premier League

Leicester City FC mean while I hope we get in the top 4 this coming season I follow them you see I hate Coventry City FC.

Hope you'll make me welcome on here first new post

Kind Regards

CaptCubbio2009

I think this talk has rather tapered off as I haven't heard anything else of it, but it would be rather remarkable (and very humorous) if Newcastle thought they could better make their mark moving over to the SPL than repromoting and trying to make strides in the Premier League. A 10th place finish is better than a 2-4th place finish in the SPL in my opinion.

Â