2022-23 year end awards

TomC

I’m going to repeat last year’s categories, except I’m not bothering with “best manager” because we know who would win this year. What are everyone's picks for:

Player of the year

Young player of the year

Most improved player

Most regressed player

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count)

Worst new signing (ditto)

Most underused player

Best victory

Worst loss

Goal of the year

Feel free to add categories...

• Like 1

I’ll go first:

Player of the year: Close call between Doug and Kamara. The fact that they’re my two candidates shows how clueless SG was about not playing them together. I’ll give it to Doug just because Kamara missed so many games.

Young player of the year: Have to give it to JJ by default since hardly any other youngsters got a look, although he’s been in the senior squad long enough that maybe he shouldn’t be eligible anymore.

Most improved player: I don’t know if he was improved compared to his best season, but compared to last season, Konsa was miles better this year.

Most regressed player: I would have said McGinn midway through the season, but he came back strong. When you look at the whole season, I really can’t think of anyone who went backwards, unlike last year. That says something about Unai getting the best out of the group.

Best new signing: Kamara a clear winner, with Moreno a clear second place. Diego will probably come good but missed too much time.

Worst new signing: Augustinsson. Barely got into the side, looked bad when he did, got hurt quickly, loan ended in less than a year.

Most underused player: Before he was sold, I would have said Ings, but we really didn’t miss him after he was gone (except maybe on the penalty against Liverpool last weekend). Unai didn’t bench anyone who shouldn’t have been benched, so I can’t choose a winner here.

Best victory: Villa 3 Newcastle 0, a fantastic performance. Runner up: Villa 4 Brentford 0, because the relief of seeing SG gone resulted in such a joyful performance.

Worst loss: Wolves 1 Villa 0. It wasn’t our worst performance (that would have to go to one of several matches under SG), but it hurt the most. We’re a better team than them and should have at least nicked a draw. With that, we’d have had a chance at the Europa League this weekend. (I picked a loss to Wolves as our worst loss last year, too. Without the Bluenoses or Baggies around, I’m just going to have start hating Wolves more.)

Goal of the year: Have to give it to Dougie’s Olimpico against Bolton, the better of the two. Also considered: Digne free kick against Man Utd, Kamara to Bailey against Leeds (great pass!), Traore against Leicester, Doug to Buendia to Doug to Bailey against Brentford in the first minute.

• Like 1

Player of the year: Mings

Young player of the year: JJ

Most improved player: McGinn under Unai

Most regressed player: McGinn under slippy

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count): Moreno

Worst new signing (ditto): Coutinho 

Most underused player: No one obvious

Best victory: Newcastle at home

Worst loss: Stevenage it was embarrassing!

Goal of the year: Digne against manure

Player of the year: Mings has been a titan, but Luiz was so so close

Young player of the year: Ramsey - kinda by default here, but you can't argue with those important goals

Most improved player: Young in terms of his impact from last season to this

Most regressed player: Cash

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count): Kamara because his ceiling is potentially higher, but Moreno is an honorable mention

Worst new signing (ditto): Olsen has been actively detrimental to our results this season

Most underused player: Not a crowded field, so I'm just going to state that shipping out Hause in favour of Chambers was a mistake in my book

Best victory: Manchester United at home just beats Newcastle at home because of the hoodoo-breaking

Worst loss: Bournemouth on the opening day - the emperor wearing no clothes revelation was hard to take

Goal of the year: Bertie against Leicester

Player of the year - mings

Young player of the year - JJ

Most improved player - luiz

Most regressed player - bailey

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count) - moreno

Worst new signing (ditto) - olsen

Most underused player - duran maybe?

Best victory - utd or newcastle. i thought chelsea at the time but that looked less good each week afterwards!

Worst loss - bournemouth

Goal of the year - mcginn vs chelsea

Player of the year: Mings (can't split him from Luiz really)

Young player of the year: JJ (he's the only young player!)

Most improved player: I'd give it to Watkins as he changed my option of his talent ceiling. 

Most regressed player: Chambers (I don't want to pick players who suffered lots of injuries) Chambers as though of him higher at start of season

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count): Moreno edges out Kamara

Worst new signing (ditto): Olsen due to him being atrocious at football

Most underused player: Tough one this, Archer before his loan actually

Best victory: I'd go Brentford just because it was the release from what came before. It inspired hope.

Worst loss: Bournemouth, no question

Goal of the year: Coutinho against Arsenal - playing from back to front goal with slick passing and moving shows exactly what Emery wants

Player of the year - Mings (toss of a coin with Luiz) 

Young player of the year - Ramsey

Most improved player - Luiz 

Most regressed player - Cash (Though terrible luck with injuries so maybe I’m being harsh. 

Best new signing (summer or winter window, loans count) - Moreno (I think Kamara is the better player but Moreno has transformed how we play. 

Worst new signing (ditto) - Olsen

Most underused player - Maybe Duran, but difficult to get in ahead of Oliie. 

Best victory - UTD. 27 flipping years I’ve waited for that

Worst loss - Bournemouth 

Goal of the year - Probably not the best but I’m going to give it to the goal that meant the most to me. As noted above, seeing us beat UTD was incredible and the 3rd goal sealed it for me, so I’m going with Ramsey. 

I think we need some other extra categories especially for "VTers"

Best turn of phrase category I would like to nominate ..... The one and only Mr rjw63 for describing wolves as "Custard Bowl Knobbers"

Insightful wise person category I would like to nominate .....Mr TRO

Best English Breakfast category I would like to nominate.... Mr Follyfoot

Other suggestions....

Best use of Kenneth Williams category.........

Russia and its "Special Operation" updates category.......

I am sure there will be other suggestions and nominations for these prestigious awards

VTID

Â