Headphones - Charging Problems

Rodders

Hello, 

I was given a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless headphones for christmas 2021, and the charging function appears to have already gone kaput. There is a DIY fix it page on the internet, but considering my wife spent a fair whack on these ( £250! :o ) I'm not **** doing that. Absolutely fuming with the technology. I've had regular cheapo headphones that cost 30 quid and lasted years, and these **** have gone after less that 18 months. 

I have emailed and complained to Sony and expect **** all back, but has anyone had similar issues at all, or know of ways to fix it that don't involve me having to deploy a fecking tool kit? There's no Sony store anywhere near Cardiff as far as their store locator thing suggests so unsure where to go. 

It is a usb charging cable, I have tried differed usb ports in different computers and I've used a plain old USB plug charger to a socket. Nothing's working. 

The only easy thing I can think of is dirt/lint in the usb-port preventing good contact. Poke around carefully with a toothpick and see if anything comes out

Edited by Tegis

45 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Hello, 

I was given a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless headphones for christmas 2021, and the charging function appears to have already gone kaput. There is a DIY fix it page on the internet, but considering my wife spent a fair whack on these ( £250! :o ) I'm not **** doing that. Absolutely fuming with the technology. I've had regular cheapo headphones that cost 30 quid and lasted years, and these **** have gone after less that 18 months. 

I have emailed and complained to Sony and expect **** all back, but has anyone had similar issues at all, or know of ways to fix it that don't involve me having to deploy a fecking tool kit? There's no Sony store anywhere near Cardiff as far as their store locator thing suggests so unsure where to go. 

It is a usb charging cable, I have tried differed usb ports in different computers and I've used a plain old USB plug charger to a socket. Nothing's working. 

I agree 14 months isn't reasonable. Your contract is with your retailer, not Sony. If they were bought on a credit (not debit) card you have even more protection as your contract is with them.

They are not fit for purpose and it's for the retailer to make good.

On 26/03/2023 at 13:53, Rodders said:

Hello, 

On 26/03/2023 at 14:17, Tegis said:

The only easy thing I can think of is dirt/lint in the usb-port preventing good contact. Poke around carefully with a toothpick and see if anything comes out

I've occasionally had some success 'reviving' apparently faulty headphone jacks and charging ports on pc's and ipads at work using pure compressed air from a can suitable for use on electronic equipment (*not* from a standard air compressor, as compressed air from some compressors may include droplets of oil). Point the narrow tube that is attached to the nozzle of the can directly towards the charging port from a distance of appx. two inches (not any closer), give it a short burst of compressed air, and test. Repeat if necessary. At the very least, it won't do any harm to the headphones or void any warranty.

I've had different brands of wireless headphones  do this and sometimes a reset has bought them back to life , assuming this is different to the DIY fixes you refer to  ? 

Reset 

Put headphones on the charging.

Press the power button and custom button at a time while the headphones charging.

After that headphones will reboot.

or 

Factory reset 

First, turn off your Sony WH 1000XM4 headphones, and don’t plug the charger.

Press and hold power and custom buttons for 7 seconds.

After seven seconds the blue indicator will blink blue four times which means your headphones are reset.

video shows how to do both these resets 

https://youtu.be/J8TYMfYZh88

Â