Defending corners / set pieces

Adam2003

On 18/02/2023 at 15:26, Adam2003 said:

Mods, sorry, I looked for a set piece thread but I didn’t see one. Hope this is ok. I thought about the Austin McPhee thread but I’m not sure he’s coaching set pieces now apparently…?

Just thinking - I watched Stevenage’s winner against us and thought “that’s a freak goal to concede” - and then with Arsenal’s second today, and multiple other attempts, I realised it isn’t. Teams have figured out that our zonal marking means that if someone just stands on the edge of our area, we leave then completely unmarked. If you just work the corner to them, they can shoot at their leisure, and it’s now cost us at least a couple of goals in the last six weeks.

Am I missing something? Surely someone little like Coutinho could at least go and stand in that person’s way without disrupting our entire defence?

No, Its them that's missing something.

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

In advance of Dyche ball, hopefully Villa go back to zonal marking during our best defensive showings (Arsenal lockdown above) compared to the half zonal/half man we play now. 

I always thought our set piece defending post lockdown was still a sort of hybrid zonal/man scheme, but different to what we do now.

We basically had Mings and Konsa stationed 6 to 8 yards out, one covering front post zone, one back post zone (visible in that Arsenal screenshot)

Other players took an opposition player to stick to, but their aim was basically to disrupt, to give enough time for Mings or Konsa to get there first.

Of course for the odd goal we let in, it led to the usual 'why is our winger marking their CB' (even though they weren't really), but that 2nd season back we had one of the best set piece defences in the league. It played to our strengths of two aerially dominant CBs and also Emi in goal who could also claim well.

There's always lots of debate on zone/man-to-man/partial zone for set-pieces.  One of the easiest ways to create a numbers mis-match is for the attacking team to put two at the ball - this drags at least two defenders away from the danger area.  When I coached I used a zone that would change depending on opponent and what type of keeper I had.  It was either (roughly-speaking) a 3-3-1 with two spare to cover front post and challenge at short corners or 2-3-1 with two/three spare.  If the other team didn't put two at the ball, one of the spare players would be 15-18 yards from goal (in line with near post) to pick up anything/anyone around the edge of the area.  If the opponent had an especially dangerous individual (a John Terry type if you will) one of the spare players would be assigned to track and disrupt him. 

One thing I ALWAYS had was one attacking player far up the pitch.  I agree with the other posters who have said that when you have all ten outfield players back in your own box, you have no outlet when the ball is cleared AND you invite your opponent to push as many players high up the pitch as they like.  I (somewhat) understand why coaches want all ten back as it gives you the extra body to cover the area, but to me it is an overly negative tactic that does little to help in the big scheme of things.

Maybe because we are a relatively small team, McPhee/Unai feel the extra body is needed.  

On occasion, I would have two-up near the halfway line when the scout indicated they were susceptible on counter attacks or lacked pace. One particular game I actually had three-up, spread across the pitch on the halfway line.  It caused a good deal of confusion for the opposition and it wasn't until the second half that either of their centre-backs ventured up! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It looks like McPhee is shouting WTF. I don't blame him. The inability of certain players to focus is embarrassing.

I wonder if, we have a squad with the majority, geared to expansive football, and a minority, with a natural nose to defend....to the point that the balance is out of kilter.

Now we all know, as we rise up the league, players have to have a handle on both, but maybe we have limited players, who can only be comfortbable with the creative side of the game, and struggle with stopping the opposition, on the ugly side.

Maybe we have too few, who can stop, close down and shut out opponents.....and a natural football brain to defend.....so even if they are being told correctly, they simply can't do it.

its just a thought.

Edited by TRO

Â