England World Cup - 23 Man Squad

WakefieldVillan

Would be interested to see some of your squad selections for Qatar 2022. Going to be a few disappointed players when the squad is announced on 20th October. 

Obviously injuries/form nearer the time will play a part but here's mine FWIW:

1. Pope 2. Pickford. 3. Ramsdale.

4. Walker. 5. James 6. Stones. 7. McGuire. 8. Tomori. 9. Mings. 10. Shaw. 

11. Rice. 12. Phillips. 13. Mount. 14. Bellingham. 15. Ward-Prowse. 16. Henderson. 17. Maddison.

18. Foden. 19. Grealish. 20. Saka. 21. Sterling. 22. Kane. 23. Abraham.

I think Southgate's will be much different, for a start I am at least 3 RB's short, and I can't see him picking any of Mings, Maddison or Ward-Prowse.

based on everyone fit and firing

who he should take - 

pope, pickford, ramsdale, TAA, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Mings, Chilwell, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham, JWP, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Kane, Abraham

who he will take - 

pope, pickford, ramsdale, TAA, James, Trippier, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Coady, White, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Kane, Abraham

he will have at least 1 too many defenders if not 2, he will have an imbalance between RBs and LBs, Abraham and Coady will be cheerleaders and wont see the pitch,  he hasnt got a clue how to use TAA but will call him up because of liverpool, he will underuse bellingham and shift mount out to a wide attacking position ahead of better players (not dissing mount, just he should be in a midfield 3 not a wide man)

the biggest no no he can do for me right now is call up rashford but i don't think he will

first 11 should be - 

pickford

James Stone Maguire Shaw

Rice Bellingham Mount

Sterling Kane Grealish

and we win it...there's some ropey players in there who dont actually do much wrong for england despite shit club form (maguire, pickford) or are in general in good england form and suit how southgate plays (shaw, sterling)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

who he should take - 

pope, pickford, ramsdale, TAA, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Mings, Chilwell, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham, JWP, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Kane, Abraham

who he will take - 

pope, pickford, ramsdale, TAA, James, Trippier, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Coady, White, Shaw, Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Kane, Abraham

he will have at least 1 too many defenders if not 2, he will have an imbalance between RBs and LBs, Abraham and Coady will be cheerleaders and wont see the pitch,  he hasnt got a clue how to use TAA but will call him up because of liverpool, he will underuse bellingham and shift mount out to a wide attacking position ahead of better players (not dissing mount, just he should be in a midfield 3 not a wide man)

the biggest no no he can do for me right now is call up rashford but i don't think he will

first 11 should be - 

pickford

James Stone Maguire Shaw

Rice Bellingham Mount

Sterling Kane Grealish

and we win it...there's some ropey players in there who dont actually do much wrong for england despite shit club form (maguire, pickford) or are in general in good england form and suit how southgate plays (shaw, sterling)

Great post.

Yours is not too dissimilar to my preferred squad and that in bold - haha 100%, agree with you on that - That is what I am fearful of, and one of the reasons I dislike him being in charge of this talented squad.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure Mings will be in now, seemingly out of fashion. Ward-Prowse must be borderline, unless he moves to a scum 6 club in the summer like Spurs.

I don't think he will take Mings either, but as a natural left footed CB he would get on the plane for me, plus he's actually done ok when he's played for the national side.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

who he should take - 

who he will take - 

first 11 should be - 

pickford

James Stone Maguire Shaw

Rice Bellingham Mount

Sterling Kane Grealish

Agree but without Mount starting. Prefer JWP/Phillips

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Would be interested to see some of your squad selections for Qatar 2022. Going to be a few disappointed players when the squad is announced on 20th October. 

Obviously injuries/form nearer the time will play a part but here's mine FWIW:

1. Pope 2. Pickford. 3. Ramsdale.

4. Walker. 5. James 6. Stones. 7. McGuire. 8. Tomori. 9. Mings. 10. Shaw. 

11. Rice. 12. Phillips. 13. Mount. 14. Bellingham. 15. Ward-Prowse. 16. Henderson. 17. Maddison.

18. Foden. 19. Grealish. 20. Saka. 21. Sterling. 22. Kane. 23. Abraham.

I think Southgate's will be much different, for a start I am at least 3 RB's short, and I can't see him picking any of Mings, Maddison or Ward-Prowse.

You only chose 7 defenders, Southgate will pick 9 defenders and Rice, Phillips and Saka who can cover if needed

He will reluctantly bring a 2nd centre forward and not play them which could probably mean a big name missing from the squad. 

That will be between Foden, Grealish and Sterling, I can see Grealish being that fall guy

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You only chose 7 defenders, Southgate will pick 9 defenders and Rice, Phillips and Saka who can cover if needed

He will reluctantly bring a 2nd centre forward and not play them which could probably mean a big name missing from the squad. 

That will be between Foden, Grealish and Sterling, I can see Grealish being that fall guy

Yes I agree he will definitely pick more defenders than I have selected. Especially to play with a back 5 and 2 holding midfielders 🙄

I only chose 7 because I think we should play with a back 4 (Walker Stones McGuire Shaw) with (James, Tomori, Mings and Saka as back up) Ideally Saka would only be used further forward, but his versality would get the nod in the squad for me over Chilwell. 

At a push if there were lots of defensive injuries you could always play Rice / Phillips / Walker at CB - Not ideal but I wanted to get as many attacking players in that I could.

I'm pretty certain all of Foden, Sterling and Grealish will go, now if it was Villa's Grealish well that's a different matter...

22 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Yes I agree he will definitely pick more defenders than I have selected. Especially to play with a back 5 and 2 holding midfielders 🙄

I only chose 7 because I think we should play with a back 4 (Walker Stones McGuire Shaw) with (James, Tomori, Mings and Saka as back up) Ideally Saka would only be used further forward, but his versality would get the nod in the squad for me over Chilwell. 

At a push if there were lots of defensive injuries you could always play Rice / Phillips / Walker at CB - Not ideal but I wanted to get as many attacking players in that I could.

I'm pretty certain all of Foden, Sterling and Grealish will go, now if it was Villa's Grealish well that's a different matter...

Barring injuries Southgate will bring 9 defenders, 3 goalkeepers and maybe 4 centre midfielders plus Kane and probably a 2nd striker probably Tammy or Ollie. I would say Mount and Sterling are also guaranteed a spot

Thats 20 spots already. Grealish, Foden, Saka, Sancho, Rashford {a Southgate favourite}, Smith Rowe and now Bowen has broke through

A big name or 2 is being left out, I can also see him finding  a way to not include TAA as well

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Barring injuries Southgate will bring 9 defenders, 3 goalkeepers and maybe 4 centre midfielders plus Kane and probably a 2nd striker probably Tammy or Ollie. I would say Mount and Sterling are also guaranteed a spot

Thats 20 spots already. Grealish, Foden, Saka, Sancho, Rashford {a Southgate favourite}, Smith Rowe and now Bowen has broke through

A big name or 2 is being left out, I can also see him finding  a way to not include TAA as well

Oh I agree that there will definitely be a couple of players left disappointed - I completely forgot about Sancho when I did mine! Though I personally wouldn't take him.

I like Bowen, he may go and yes Rashford is a GS favourite. Will be interesting to see who does and doesn't makes the squad - But I don't think I am going to be happy with it. 

Â