Giants News

kkr

Out of that elite club, I'd probably rank it something like

Class by himself:

Montana

Should win, barring massive ****-ups

Brady

Elway (WARNING: may be traumatic for BerniesElbow)

Staubach

Starr (can't find a youtube highlights compilation...)

Often relied on supporting cast, but can put a team on their backs

E. Manning

Aikman

Bradshaw

Woerthlisrapistberger

Guys who are here because of their defense or running game

Griese (no highlight vid on youtube)

Plunkett (Jeff George would have won multiple Super Bowls with the early 80s Raiders)

In Tom Callahan's book The GM: The Inside Store of a Dream Job and the Nightmares That Go With It, he profiles Accorsi during his final season as GM of the Giants. In the second chapter, Callahan provides the exact scouting report Accorsi wrote of Manning during his junior season at Ole Miss. Eli played Auburn that day in 2002. It reads:

Wears left knee brace… During pregame warmup, didn't look like he had a rocket arm… As game progressed, I saw excellent arm strength under pressure and the ability to get velocity on the ball on most throws. Good deep ball range. Good touch. Good vision and poise.

Sees the field… In shotgun on most plays and his only running option is a draw… his offensive line is poor. Red-shirt freshman left tackle. Eli doesn't trust his protection. Can't. No way he can take any form of a deep drop and look downfield. With no running game (10 yards rushing the first half) and no real top receivers, he's stuck with the three-step drops and waiting til the last second to see if a receiver can get free. No tight end either. No flaring back. So he's taking some big hits. Taking them well. Carried an overmatched team entirely on his shoulders. I imagine, except for Vanderbilt, his team is overmatched in every SEC game… He's big, never gets rattled. Rallied his team from a 14-3 halftime deficit basically all by himself. Led them on two successive third quarter drives to go ahead, 17-16.

The first touchdown, a 40-yard streak down the left sideline, he dropped the ball over the receiver's right shoulder. Called the next touchdown pass himself, checking off to a 12-yard slant… Makes a lot of decisions on play calls at the line of scrimmage, but they ask too much of him. They don't just let him play. This is a guy you should just let play… When he's inaccurate, he's usually high, but rarely off target to either side… Plays smart and with complete confidence. Doesn't scold his teammates, but lets them know when they line up wrong or run the wrong pattern… Threw three interceptions. Two were his fault. Trying to force something both times. He could have run on one of them, a fourth down play. He has a lot to learn.

Summary: I think he's the complete package. He's not going to be a fast runner, but a little like Joe Montana, he has enough athletic ability to get out of trouble. Remember how Archie ran? In that department, Eli doesn't have the best genes, although I never timed mom Olivia in the 40. But he has a feel for the pocket. Feels the rush.

Throws the ball, takes the hit, gets right back up… Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic. As [former Baltimore Colts defensive back] Bobby Boyd told me once about Unitas, “Two things set him apart: his left testicle and his right testicle.”... Peyton had much better talent around him at Tennessee. But I honestly give this guy a chance to be better than his brother. Eli doesn't get much help from the coaching staff. If he comes out early, we should move up to take him. These guys are rare, you know.

Ernie Accorsi

That scouting report sounds incredibly accurate in hindsight considering how Eli's career has played out so far. Manning has morphed into an elite quarterback in the NFL with the Giants and has earned the reputation as being one of the top performers in the clutch. The skills and characteristics that Accorsi wrote down in his report have allowed Manning to realize all of that potential, and that quarterback has led the Giants to their second Super Bowl in five seasons.

link

David Carr fulfills his potential as a #1 selection and wins a super bowl.......

In all seriousness though I'm happy for him, he took a beating in Texas.

Grant, Bernard, Rolle and Ugoh all tasted Super Bowl defeat before now write their names into Giants lore.

2007 was a great draft and helped us to a Super Bowl that season but I think 2010 could be better after leading us to a championship a season later.

2007 - Ross, Smith, Alford, DeOssie, Boss, Koets, Johnson, Bradshaw

2010 - JPP, Joseph, Jones, Dilliard, Petrus, Tracy, Dodge, Ballard (udfa), Cruz (udfa)

2011 was good too - Amukamara and Austin were both injured so I'm looking forward to seeing them next year. Jernigan, Brewer, Jones, Sash, Williams, Scott, Herzlich (udfa), Paysinger (udfa), Hynoski (udfa)

2012 Free Agents

Offense

QB David Carr

OG Stacy Andrews

OT Kareem McKenzie

OT Tony Ugoh

TE Jake Ballard

TE Bear Pascoe

WR Mario Manningham

WR Devin Thomas

WR Michael Clayton

WR Domenik Hixon

Defense

DL Rocky Bernard

DL Dave Tollefson

DL Jimmy Kennedy

LB Chase Blackburn

LB Jonathon Goff

DB Deon Grant

DB Aaron Ross

DB Terrell Thomas

DB Justin Tryon

DB Will Blackmon

DB Michael Coe

DB Derrick Martin

Beasts

P Steve Weatherford

Spotrac

Think it'd be nice to keep guys like Manningham, Ross, Pascoe and Bernard, but I think other teams will overpay for them (I believe I read we have exclusive rights for Ballard, not sure about the others).

Carr, Hixon, Tollefson, Blackburn, Thomas and Grant would all be willing to return for a decent price I think.

People will over pay those players and i think we tell most of them that we have a price for them but if people want to throw silly money at them, especially Manningham and Ross then we wont be able to match that.

Carr will come back cheap, he got a free ring out of it this time around so why not hope for more of the same! Tollefson Pascoe and Blackburn are Giants and should come back as role players again so cheap. Grant i could see retire, if not then i think we would offer vet minimum and move towards Sash as his replacement.

Ballard we need to sign and i think he is unlucky that he has been injured and couldnt go back in during the Super Bowl due to an injury in his other knee. Probably a short 1-3 year incentive laden deal that is dependant on his health.

Weatherford needs to be resigned, he set a Super Bowl record for most punts inside the 10 in a single game! He is also great value on twitter so i hope we get a deal done!

Parade is at 1100 (1600) and the Rally at the stadium 1500 (2000), NFL Network is covering it so if you dont have it id consider it. They have 13 games next year, plus draft coverage, all highlights etc £30 a year, great stuff. They do monthly packages also.

T2 is the interesting one coming off the ACL also, i reckon we lowball him like Steve Smith and hope no one else picks him up. We need him or Ross to come back. Ross has started for 2 Super Bowl championships but i reckon he wants to test the market and see what value is out there.

The main free agents the next few years are as follows:

2013 - KP, Cruz, Beatty,

2014 - Nicks, Tuck, Boley, Webster, Joseph

Cruz and Nicks i would try and sign now long term, like 6+ year deals a piece. Tuck for sure will need to get paid but it wouldnt surprise me to leave that last minute and maybe even franchise due to injury issues. Same could be said about Nicks tbf.

Boley we can let walk in 2014 and Joseph is still developing so time will tell on him. Beatty i dont rate at all so id let him walk, i hope we draft some tackles this offseason and KP i like but at the right price.

Ballard confirmed as a torn ACL, i mean seriously how many is that this year FFS!? Hope he can come back and have an impact like this season. I think we will look to pick someone up in FA and the draft what with two thirds of our TE corps now having busted knees.

Forget the Yankees or any other team from New York, nobody wins championships as well as the NY Giants

With fourth Super Bowl in books, they feel like the biggest team in Apple

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

INDIANAPOLIS — It had been one of those nights when we were reminded that even though they have won just four Super Bowls in their history and eight NFL championships in all, the Giants can still feel like the biggest team we have, and that includes the Yankees. The Yankees are there in the playoffs every year, of course, and have won an epic number of World Series.

The Giants win better.

Now, second time in four years, they win better than any New York team ever has.

Say it again: You can put all the other great seasons up against them, Namath and Seaver and Willis Reed and whatever you think is the best Yankee victory of them all. Nothing beats what the Giants have done to the Patriots in these two Super Bowls.

All that talk from Rex Ryan about little brother and big brother and we are reminded once again in Indy on Sunday night that the Giants, when they are on top, feel like the biggest game in town, and you know “town” includes Jersey, too. Other teams win big. The Rangers were beyond big in 1994. The Giants win better. Twice now. And will always have a romance about them now that maybe only the old Knicks had.

Maybe half an hour after the game Sunday night, here came Tom Coughlin back across the field, through the confetti at Lucas Oil Stadium, going from one TV interview to the next. His guys were with him as always, Mike Murphy and Vinny Byron, who always block better for him than the guys on Coughlin’s offensive line block for Eli.

There are just a few of us walking with Coughlin in that moment, along with some cameramen acting as if they will get arrested if they miss a single step Coughlin is taking, the coach looking so much younger than the oldest coach to ever win a Super Bowl.

As we keep moving I ask what it is like for him being back on the field, Giants fans still everywhere at Lucas Oil, chanting his name louder than ever.

“When I took the walk a few minutes ago,” Coughlin said, “my grandchildren were on the ground.” He waved his arms in a circular motion, smiling. “They were down on the ground, do this with their arms, what do you call it when you do that in the snow?”

“Snow angels,” he was told.

“My grandkids were trying to make snow angels in the confetti,” Coughlin said.

Then he was asked if this one, 21-17 over the Patriots in Super Bowl 46, another come-from-behind in the last minute of the Super Bowl to beat the Patriots, an 88-yard drive this time, was better than the last one four years ago.

“They’re both special,” Coughlin said, moving closer to those chants now, pumping a fist at the fans, making the chants even louder. “They’re different memories I'll have for the rest of my life.” He smiled again, and said, “Pretty nice memories, though, aren't they?”

A few minutes earlier, this same part of the field, Lawrence Tynes was standing next to his father, and somebody was asking Tynes the same question, about which one was better for the Giants, Glendale or Indy, Super Bowl 42 or Super Bowl 46. This drive by Eli or the last one.

“This one,” Tynes said on the field, the machine shooting the confetti toward the roof of Lucas Oil right behind him, just adding more of a roar to the roar of the Giants fans in this place. “This one was better. We were 7-7. Are you kidding? We were 7-7. And from that moment on, we refused to go home.”

They refused to go home. Now they come home for another parade through the Canyon of Heroes, a parade for this generation of Giants fans and the one before that, for all the generations, for families whose tickets go back to the Polo Grounds.

Now only three teams in the history of their sport have won more Super Bowls than the New York football Giants: Steelers (6), 49ers and Cowboys (5). Giants and Packers now have four.

And Eli Manning will win more. He has gone from being mocked for answering a question and putting himself with the best quarterbacks in football to ending the season, these four playoff games, as the best quarterback in football, one who I believe will end his career being called the greatest clutch quarterback of them all.

Does this second Super Bowl, under these circumstances, like Affirmed sticking a nose in front of Alydar again, put Eli in the Hall of Fame someday? It does. Does this second Super Bowl, won like this from the outside, after 7-7, with more road and neutral-field victories, with another overtime victory in the NFC Championship Game, put Coughlin in the Hall of Fame?

Without question.

Put it another way, about the coach of the Giants and the quarterback of the Giants: The next time a coach and quarterback beat a favored team, on the road, in overtime, in a championship game and then come from behind in the last minute of the Super Bowl to win again, send up a flare. Nothing like this has ever happened in the Super Bowl era and nothing like it ever will.

When the confetti was flying in the first moments after the Giants rushed the field, the general manager Jerry Reese, the best evaluator of talent in the National Football League, said, “Don’t ever be fooled by the way Eli looks. He is a baby-faced killer. What he did tonight? He did all year long.”

Game over by then. Long, happy night for the Giants just beginning. Coughlin one of the last to walk through the confetti, where the snow angels had been. Other New York teams win. Every four years the Giants just win better.

link

What do you think happens with Osi? I think he deserves a new deal personally. If a promise was made based on performance, he has definitely lived up to his side of the bargain. 20.5 sacks in the past 2 seasons in just 25 games and he's not even a starter anymore. I know it is risky to play someone who is essentially a role player starter money, but I think our Dline rotation is our biggest strength and losing Osi will probably hurt both Tuck and JPP in the long run.

Eli's Super Bowl winning playoff numbers

'07 - TB - 20/27 - 185 yards - 2 TDs

'07 - DAL - 12/18 - 163 yards - 2 TDs

'07 - GB - 21/40 - 251 yards

'07 - NE - 19/34 - 255 yards - 2 TDs, 1 INT

Total - 72/119 (60%) - 854 yards - 6 TDs, 1 INT

'11 - ATL - 23/32 - 277 yards - 3 TDs

'11 - GB - 21/33 - 330 yards - 3 TDs, 1 INT

'11 - SF - 32/58 - 316 yards - 2 TDs

'11 - NE - 30/40 - 296 yards - 1TDs

Total - 106/163 (65%) - 1219 yards - 9 TDs, 1 INT

Total overall - 178/282 (63%) - 2073 yards - 15 TDs, 2 INTs

2 great runs and amazingly good numbers overall. Be interesting to see how many Super Bowl winning runs by a QB have been better than Eli's this year. High completion %, 300 yards a game and a 10:1 TD:INT ratio!

Those numbers are insane!

Osi i realy dont know, he will either be traded or forced to play the last year of the deal he signed but id expect a hold out if that was the case. Eventually we are going to have to pay JPP, Tuck, Cruz, Nicks and arguably id rather lose Osi before id lose any of them. I hope we could work a deal though, he does deserve it but i think he was very me first for portions of the season. Not that it mattered in the end.

Dave Diehl has played with a broken left hand since the first Dallas game.

Not once on the injury report, what a beast! Makes me feel better about bringing him back now, i thought he had declined too far but if we can rework his deal to save some cap that would be great. Another true Giant.

Eli had 7 comeback wins this season wich ties the record set by Peyton Manning in 2009.

Career TD's vs

Dallas: 31

Philly: 27

Skins: 12

TD passes by quarter:

1st: 38

2nd: 58

3rd: 36

4th and OT: 62

Â