Giants News

kkr

The Original G Man : 1:02 pm

Ebenezer Samuel

TC on Manningham: “We’d love to have him back. We’re not naive. The guy just made Super Bowl memorable plays.”

Ebenezer Samuel

Coughlin also said Giants are “not in business” of “training coaches” for other teams.

Aditi Kinkhabwala

Tom Coughlin on not letting Kevin Gilbride Jr interview after losing 2 O assts: “We’ve got to put our hands around our situation first”

Ohm Youngmisuk

Coughlin said Brandon Jacobs is a big part of the future of the Giants as far as he is concerned.

Ohm Youngmisuk

Coughlin says Da’Rel Scott had a good year last year, working hard in practice and scout team and has shown Giants things he can do

Jenny Vrentas

Coughlin said Thomas and Goff are part of team’s free agent planning, both recovering well but not there yet. #nyg

Aditi Kinkhabwala

Tom Coughlin was first coach here w/ NO media handlers. Said he’s going to have some words for @giantspathanlon (fair warning, Pat!)

Jenny Vrentas

Coughlin hasn’t heard anything on Manningham being headed for FA market. Said he’s not naïve but would love to keep him. #nyg

Aditi Kinkhabwala

Tom Coughlin hasn’t talked to John Mara about a contract extension yet. He said he’s looking for 15 years. Can’t say if he was kidding

The Original G Man : 1:18 pm

Aditi Kinkhabwala

DT Joseph (ankle), DE Tuck (shoulder), DT Canty (knee) all had surgery, TC said. None expected to be major side-lining.

Jenny Vrentas

Coughlin said he does not believe Bradshaw will need offseason surgery.

Jenny Vrentas Coughlin said not sure if Canty's was a scope or not. Surgeries a concern? "It's always a concern because look at the date," he said.

Aditi Kinkhabwala

Tom Coughlin was asked how high JPP's ceiling was. Flopped head back, looked straight up, said "How's that?"

Ebenezer Samuel

For next year, Coughlin points to Scott, Amukamara and Sash as young guys who could take big steps. Also mentions Jernigan

RodneyHamp : 12:25 pm

expects Jacobs, TT, Goff, Osi to be Giants next year.

From TC's press conference at the combine.

SI rumour - we have interest in John Abraham. Only way that happens is if we lose Osi to a trade and then he comes cheap. I would take all our top three ends over him anyway.

TC said that TE this year is a big need like centre last year and that ended up in free agent pick up Baas. Jermichael Finley is locked up now and there isn't much else out there. I would look at Martellus Bennett, change of scenery and working with the best TE coach in the NFL will help.

For me now, if a TE isn't bare minimum 6'5 then I'm not really interested.

Coby Fleener in the draft I would love too.

Manningham gets key to city

New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham won’t guarantee he will be with the Super Bowl champions this spring.

The Warren Harding High graduate said Friday that he’s “75 percent” sure he’ll sign with another NFL team when free agency begins on March 15.

Friday, Manningham was celebrated at his alma mater with a plaque and key to the city presented by Warren Mayor William Franklin.

“It’s good, man, it’s good to know that my city is behind me,” the four-year NFL veteran said.

Manningham’s 38-yard over-the-shoulder catch between two defenders in the final minutes of Super Bowl 46 helped the Giants drive for the winning points in their 21-17 victory over the New England Patriots on Feb. 5.

Asked if he has an idea of what might happen, Manningham said, “Yeah,” then wisely added, “I ain’t talking about it.”

The former University of Michigan receiver suggested leaving a champion might not be that hard.

“How many times have you seen a repeat?” he said.

When the Patriots were mentioned as the last NFL team to repeat (in 2004-05), Manningham said that franchise “is a different type of breed right there, different type of coaching staff then what we [have].”

Manningham agreed that Giants quarterback Eli Manning’s skills are among the best and it’s good to have an elite quarterback behind center.

“He is, but there are a lot of good quarterbacks in this league,” Manningham said. “I just want the ball more, that’s all.”

With the Giants using Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks as their top receivers, Manningham said a new team might give him more opportunities.

“I’m ready for whatever, man, I am ready for whatever,” Manningham said before the Harding-Cleveland Heights basketball game. “If it ain’t there, it’s somewhere else.

“I want them to go back to the Super Bowl, that’s me being a team player,” said Manningham who then added that he wants to go back “with whatever team I am playing with.”

Asked if he was a Browns fan growing up, Manningham replied, “No. Next question.”

A week after the Super Bowl, Manningham and Cruz were presenters at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. Their category was best rock performance and the winners were Foo Fighters whose lead singer Dave Grohl is a Warren native.

“I didn’t know [he was from Warren],” Manningham said of Grohl. “I heard that afterwards.”

Manningham said standing on the Grammy stage was nerve-wracking.

“It was worse than playing on the field,” Manningham said, “It’s been crazy, man, just crazy, “[i’ve] just been loving everything that’s been going on.

“Thank God I am in this position I am, to come back here and see everybody and show love to everybody in my hometown.”

He has never been the brightest but some of the comments here are stupid.

I am not about to hate on him for going after the $$$ post Super Bowl win but he needs to be very careful about which team he signs for next.

Eli said that this year he told the receivers if you run the wrong route you arent getting the ball which i think speaks volumes about Mario's big time decline in production. We have also seen numerous occasions where Eli is just looking at him and gesticulating as if to say you ran the wrong route...........again!

He isnt very cerebral but in a dummed down/spread offense he can have success i think and maybe be a #2 receiver. He would need some other pieces around him though.

I also think a lot of the great plays along the sideline that you see him making are down to the coaching. TC was a WR coach with the Giants under Parcells and i think that he does a great job coaching them up.

I would take Garcon from the Colts as a replacement. I think there are a lot of free agent WR's so someone like Garcon or Mario might not get the $$$ that they think are out there.

Id consider Smith and Plax too, Smith first.

Things Eli Manning has done that no other QB in the history of the NFL can claim.

- Won 5 road playoff games

- Completed 100 passes in a postseason (106 in 2011)

- Thrown for 1,200 or more yards in a postseason (1,219 in 2011)

- Led two game winning TD drives in the final 4 minutes of a Super Bowl

- Win a Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked rushing offense

- Lead at least 21 4th quarter comebacks (including playoffs) in his first 8 seasons (Tom Brady is 2nd with 20)

- Beaten Tom Brady and Bill Belichick 2x in the postseason

- Win 2 road playoff games at Lambeau field

- Win at least 6 playoff games against teams who went 13-3 or better

- Win 10 road games in a single season (including playoffs, 2007)

- Win a Super Bowl with a defense that allowed 400 or more points

- Win a Super Bowl while accounting for over 80% of your teams offense (threw for 4,933 of our 6,161 yards of total offense)

- Throw for at least 27,000 yards in his first 8 seasons while winning a SB in that span (he's won 2, and 2 MVPs), only 4 other QB have thrown for 27,000+ in their first 8 seasons, none of them won a SB though.

- Thrown 2 go ahead TD's in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl

- Driven his team down to score the winning TD in the Super Bowl with less than 2 minutes to play when anything less meant defeat. (i.e. 4 point+ deficit)

Weatherford franchised which is a good move. Hixon re-signed to a 1 year deal for league minimum which for someone his age is approx $600k.

Giants' Eli Manning restructures 2012 salary to create $6.75 million in cap space

The Giants were reportedly $9 million or so over the salary cap and needed to get down by the start of the league year this coming Tuesday, so it was likely players like Brandon Jacobs would have to take a pay cut or get cut.

One other option was to do a simple restructuring of a big contract. The team has done just that with Eli Manning.

Per NFL Players Association records, the Giants guaranteed $9 million of Manning's $10.75-million base salary for the 2012 season, which allows the team to spread the cap hit over the remaining four years of his contract. Manning's new base salary is $1.75 million.

Manning's 2012 cap number shrunk from $16.35 million to $9.6 million, saving the Giants $6.75 million on this year's cap.

The move doesn't hurt Manning at all. In fact, it only helps him. He gets that $9 million right now, as opposed to waiting for the season. Plus, it was previously non-guaranteed money, so there was a chance he wouldn't have gotten it. Because, you know, he might've gotten cut before the season began.....................

........moving on........

While Manning's cap number grew smaller this season, the numbers for the next three years grew by $2.25 million each. A look at his cap numbers:

2013: $20.85m (was $18.6m)

2014: $20.4m (was $18.15)

2015: $19.75 (was $17.5)

The numbers will apparently be easier to stomach starting in 2014 because that's when TV revenue hits and is supposed to raise the cap by a ton.

Also, NFLPA records show the Giants have re-signed both of their exclusive rights free agents: TE Jake Ballard and CB Bruce Johnson. Once they tendered those players, they had no choice but to come back to the team. The Giants are hopeful Ballard, coming off ACL surgery, can play at least part of next season. Johnson is working his way back from a torn Achilles tendon suffered in training camp last summer.

One more thing to note is OL David Diehl's 2012 base salary jumped up $375,000 from $3.825 million to $4.2 million. Not sure what that's about. Might've been an escalator for playing a certain amount of games at left tackle this past season. I'll check on that.

link

Good news all around there.

Like the little tidbit about Bruce Johnson, i think he can still be a useful player for us but obviously his season was ended early last year.

We have also told Kareem McKenzie that we wont be resigning him. I imagine the conversation went something like this, " we cant afford to sign you so we will have to let you go."

Probably the best free agent signing we have had in so much that he as an elite player for us since we signed him all the way up until the season before last. This year he clearly declined some, but im glad he got to get another ring with us.

At his peak, you did not have to worry about the right side of the line, him and Snee were beasts together. All the best to him going forward.

Noooooooooooo, reports are that Jacobs will be released. Hopefully a Rocky Bernard type situation where he then comes back for less money!

Disagree, he averaged 5.6 ypc the season before last and had 9TDs in the reg season this year. The oline has declined more than he has, there isnt much a power back can do when he has to juke and cut straight after taking the handoff because his oline are being blown back into his face.

Bradshaw wasnt much better either and is just as injury prone if not more. Aparently it came down to a difference of $500k and there was no progress to Jacobs asked to be released. $2m is bonus money and his cap was $7m so we save $5m. I think we would have been offering $1.5-2m a season or asking him to cut it to that for the final year and he obviously thinks he can get $2.5-3m which is fair enough.

I hope he doesnt and we get him back, a bit like the Bernard move last year! Plenty of punishment in the tank, get us an oline that is average and he would be great again.

I am a bit disappointed in Bradshaw that he came back because Jacobs restructured for him and yet he couldn't return the favor what with it being only a $500k difference.

On another note it looks like RG3 will be in the NFC East next year, should be interesting.

Kevin Boss is going to b cut by the Raiders tomorrow, i would take him and Steve Smith back on 1 year vet min contracts. Get them healthy and contributing again in a bid to establish their real value.

Looks like T2 isnt going to do that, he has been tweeting a few things and i think pointed to Aaron Kampman coming of an ACL injury and getting a big contract so clearly wants to cash in now. Dont blame him, but hope no one bites and he has to come back to us on the cheap.

After releasing Jacobs we were approx $1-2m under the cap so we get another $1.6m off of Dallas and Washington now, but we will need to clear a lot more space. We need a minimum of $5m to sign draft picks and thats before we consider re-signing any of our own guys and then having space to pick up guys through the year to cover injuries etc.

Edit - its $5m needed to sign draft picks

Â