History Repeating

VillanOfAston

I know I have posted this in response to another thread - but I think it deserves more focus!  Well here it is:

But to me it seems quite clear - That's it's all just a little bit of history repeating.
(To the tune of Shirley Bassey)

Back in September 1979 our Talisman Andy Gray left us for a British record fee of £1.49 Million to join our rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.  Wolves overspent and ended up in deep financial trouble and were relegated to the second division.  Almost ruined!

Using that money Villa rebuilt and replaced him with Peter With and co.  We won the league 80/81 and the European cup 81/82.

Move forward 42 years

Our Talisman Jack Grealish leaves August 2021leaves us for a British record fee of £100 Million to join up with Manchester City.  After buying Kane as well they are finding themselves having overspent.  They are in financial trouble and get relegated through mismanagement.
Villa however invest this record fee in several top quality new team members and are again playing the best football seen at Villa Park for years.

The following season we win the premiership and the following league we win the UEFA Champions league!

They do say things go around in cycles!  UTV

Unfortunately the only form of "financial mismanagement" that could doom City is its sale. Nothing less will stop this madness, because we know the FA will do FA to curb this.

As much as we like it, but things are a lot different now than it was back in the days. 
I don’t think City are in a bad financial shape. I’d really like someone to make us understand the financial situations of top teams. Liverpool for example seem to have some challenges? Why and how? Utd as much as they spend it doesn’t seem to affect them?

Things were a lot more fluid in those days, you could come up from the old 2nd division and be competitive straight away, just needed a good manager and a couple of smart signings.

Clubs are businesses these days, being backed by abhorrent amounts of money.

Â