Star Wars : Squadrons

RunRickyRun

Star-Wars-Squadrons-VR-Support.jpg

This one was a must for me - A  spaceship dog fighting game with full VR support selling for £30 at launch. All I needed to know after hearing about it was that it was functional!

The modes are pretty barebones, offering only a dogfighting and a grand scale fleet battle at the moment, but there are four different spaceships for each faction which are customisable by unlocking different components through grinding . The gameplay though is excellent and in VR it's even better. For the first time I'm craning my neck to see Tie fighters which have flown past my cockpit and once a few salvos have been fired you do become totally immersed. 

I think it's worth checking out for anyone with a compatible VR headset, maybe even waiting until xmas when it will likely be on sale. I think those without that aren't particularly into spaceship dogfighting can probably give this a miss for now. 

• Like 1

I've picked this up today.  Haven't had a chance to play it yet,  looking forward to trying it on PSVR. Not sure they'll add anything extra to it as it's not a full price game but should be fun for a while. 

Started playing this last night.  Only had about 30 mins on it but so far it's great.   Need to sort the controls out a bit (inverting the flight stick), and have a look at some of the other options too.  Must say its great in VR, but I do need to try it with a decent headset on. 

Yeah it took me a bit to get used to it.  Particularly apparent during the "thread the needle" moments if you know what I mean.  Might try remapping them for a second playthrough at some point.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Yeah it took me a bit to get used to it.  Particularly apparent during the "thread the needle" moments if you know what I mean.  Might try remapping them for a second playthrough at some point.

Yeah I'm going to spend a bit of time in the training sections to see if i can make things a bit smoother. 

Feels a bit basic and unpolished to me. I was a massive fan of the Rogue Squadron games on the N64 and Gamecube, but so far this has yet to kindle the same kind of excitement. I played those missions over and over as a kid, but so far the missions in SW:S seem a bit dull.

And the on rails point-and-click bits in between missions that are presumably meant to be inspired by the X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC flight sims are just boring. The characters are lame and the story so far is naff, which would all be fine if those bloody sections didn’t last as long. I assume you can skip them, so it’s probably my fault, but I just want to make sure I’m not missing something important.

It just doesn’t feel like Star Wars, and it’s set in one of my favourite points in the timeline. It kind of feels like the people who wrote the story don’t really get it.

Kinda wish you could change views so you could switch between cockpit or behind the ship, but obviously they’re gearing this heavily towards VR, so I suppose they were never going to make that an option.

I dunno, maybe my taste in games is more refined than it was as a teenager playing my N64, but this game just feels shallow. I’ll concede I’ve only played a few hours here and there though.

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

And the on rails point-and-click bits in between missions that are presumably meant to be inspired by the X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC flight sims are just boring. The characters are lame and the story so far is naff, which would all be fine if those bloody sections didn’t last as long. I assume you can skip them, so it’s probably my fault, but I just want to make sure I’m not missing something important.

Yeah, I can confirm after one whole playthrough that (with the rare moments that you can chat to Hera Syndulla, though again it's really nothing of interest/substance) I wished I'd just skipped straight to the missions, the story/character is naff.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Â