Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, suck on that 'Phillies'.

I went to bed when it was 4-2 to Yankees and I was quite certain that I'd wake up and finding out Yankees won game 4... quite right I was too because Yankees batsmen have been excellent in the last two matches... especially A-Rod.

And yes, it'd be AWESOME if Yankees win the WS in Philly tonight. Would be hysterical to see all the arrogant Philly fans start to cry.

I want to hear Rollins explanation when the Yankees take the series. His comments before it started were hilarious "I think we could sweep, make it 5, I'll give them 1 win, I'm nice".. retard. :crylaugh:

Also funny watching Hammels choke the other night after he labelled the Mets chokers. Gutted. :lol:

I thought the singing of the national anthem was bad today! In England we tend to sing the anthem along with whoever is singing it, is there a reason the fans stay quiet i the US?

I don't rate Burnett highly at all so wouldn't be susprised if he **** it up. Would love him to win it in Philly though.

I thought the singing of the national anthem was bad today! In England we tend to sing the anthem along with whoever is singing it, is there a reason the fans stay quiet i the US?

It's not generally sung along to in the USA (it felt slightly odd singing along to it in Columbus for Villa's visit to Crew Stadium, but the British fans there had done a rousing rendition of GSTQ so the Yanks in the crowd felt compelled to sing along to ours). I remember watching a Blue Jays WS game with my mom, who commented on how the Canadians would sing along to

(of course, O Canada is probably the best national anthem EVAR!). I figure the reason for generally being silent during the singing of the anthem is that it's viewed as a solemn occasion and should be treated as such.

It's not generally sung along to in the USA (it felt slightly odd singing along to it in Columbus for Villa's visit to Crew Stadium, but the British fans there had done a rousing rendition of GSTQ so the Yanks in the crowd felt compelled to sing along to ours). I remember watching a Blue Jays WS game with my mom, who commented on how the Canadians would sing along to

(of course, O Canada is probably the best national anthem EVAR!). I figure the reason for generally being silent during the singing of the anthem is that it's viewed as a solemn occasion and should be treated as such.

That probably answers why so many American fans complain when fans from the opposing nation boo the American national anthem in football. It's the norm for the home fans in Europe to boo the away team's national anthem... just like it is in South America.

Btw, Italia's and Eire's national anthem > ALL national anthems :winkold:

That probably answers why so many American fans complain when fans from the opposing nation boo the American national anthem in football. It's the norm for the home fans in Europe to boo the away team's national anthem... just like it is in South America.

Btw, Italia's and Eire's national anthem > ALL national anthems :winkold:

I don't think we boo the national anthem, depends on the opposition. If England were playing the US in football, the US anthem would not get boo'ed, but when Hatton faced Mayweather, it was... just depends on when it occurs I suppose!

I think Italy have one of the worst, it sounds ridiculous.

Anyways 6-2 Phillies.

When the US national team plays qualifiers throughout Latin America, booing of the US national anthem is par for the course, and it's really the least of it in terms of abuse from opposing fans.

I think the reasons for Americans not singing along to the national anthem are (A) It's so "over-used" that it's not taken seriously and its meaning is pretty much lost on the average fan in the crowd because we hear it so often, (B) I think a lot of people, honestly, don't know all the words and/or are "too cool" to sing along, partly because no one standing next to them are singing along either.

(it felt slightly odd singing along to it in Columbus for Villa's visit to Crew Stadium, but the British fans there had done a rousing rendition of GSTQ

I was there for that, too, and fair play to all the English fans who were there and singing along loudly to their anthem. Needless to say TSV, sitting a couple seats to my left, wasn't singing along.

(it felt slightly odd singing along to it in Columbus for Villa's visit to Crew Stadium, but the British fans there had done a rousing rendition of GSTQ

I was there for that, too, and fair play to all the English fans who were there and singing along loudly to their anthem. Needless to say TSV, sitting a couple seats to my left, wasn't singing along.

That's why I said "British" fans... ;)

(not to open up the GSTQ as the UK national anthem can of worms... in all honesty what's needed is an English national anthem so that GSTQ can be the anthem for the UK)

I think another part of it is that the Star Spangled Banner isn't really a paean to a people that can be sung along to... it's mostly a downer (we're getting the shit bombed out of us, oh noes!) until the last few lines (but the flag is still there, **** yeah!), and you'll typically see at least some people join in for the last couple of lines (in my experience you'll get a few people singing "Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave" with more joining in throughout "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave").

Â