Alonso or Raikkonen to win Championship this year ?

BOF

Who will win the WDC in 2005  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the WDC in 2005

• Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Someone else (specified below)

Some light relief from the transfer market discussions of late.

Alonso has the lead but Raikkonen has the quicker car. Who do you think will win the driver's title this year now that we're at the midpoint? Or do you think Schumacher will still win despite Ferrari's apparent lack of pace?

Raikonnen, the experience will tell. although the FIA wanting big self owned car manufacturers Ferrari - Renault may yet step in. I mean it was blody stupid that Kimi had to go back 10 places last weekend.

As for Schuey - I hope he never wins again EVER - most over-rated champion EVER

The trouble facing Raikkonen is that the points system is such that if he was to win every remaining race, all Alonso would have to do is come 2nd behind him and he'd still win the title. Giving 2nd place 8pts instead of the 6pts that it used to be, means less of a reward for winning the race. It was designed to make Schuey's dominance look less ..errr .. dominant, but now it seems to have backfired and consistency is now a far more valuable asset than outright speed on the day. And racing should always be about the fastest man winning the title, not the most consistent one. You can feasibly win the title nowadays having never won a race. Unlikely, but easily done.

Actually its political historical persecution, to a degree...maybe..

Whats wrong with beeing german? Do you lads have bothersome history? ^^

Isn't saying Schumacher is overated a bit like saying Man Utd are as well? Sure nobody round here likes them, but you can't deny how successful they've been. Same with Schumacher, you don't win that many races and championships by being overated...

Correct Iain. People use their dislike of him to sell him short. His achievements are unparalleled, and even though I'm not a fan of the man outside F1, you can't but admire some of the performances he put in throughout his career. The only shame for him is that he has spent his entire career at a time when there was no top class opposition, much in the same way Federer might be doing. He is still the 1 driver on the grid that you think "he might just be able to do that". He is definitely one of the greatest ever, although not the greatest. He is certainly not over-rated though. And I don't think he'll be winning this year's title.

Isn't saying Schumacher is overated a bit like saying Man Utd are as well? Sure nobody round here likes them, but you can't deny how successful they've been. Same with Schumacher, you don't win that many races and championships by being overated...

But F1 is different to football. This is a sport relies heavily on the performance of the car and less on the ability of the driver.

Even Jacque Villenueve won a championship (if I remember correctly) in a good car.

Just think he has been lucky with the cars he drove throughout his career. He is a good driver, but not as great as most think.

well use google and find a definition then bicks

and Iain, he used to be a really great driver and yes I thought he could (and quite possibly would) have become a true great but then the safety aspects and money took over. Ferrari were able to pour literally millions down the drain to regaing the title (hmm see where the ManU thing comes in) when the opposition were never likely to be in the same position.

Look at the season Irvine would have won the title, did Cobblers help him NO. Then when Barrichello is doing better than him does he help NO.

True greats would not only be winning themselves but also helping their team-mates should they be able to.

And don't even start me on the cheating.... and FIA / Stewards help

Part of Schumacher's greatness is his ability to get the best team then get the best from them. You wouldn't have a team like Ferrari pumping millions into their car if they had Irvine as the number 1 driver.

Fact is Schumacher's ability in a Jordan then in a Benetton alerted Ferrari to his ability.

Villeneuve was given the chance at BAR to do what MS did at Ferrari. Bring in his own team, have a blank cheque, yet he did nothing of note. Toyota now have the biggest budget in F1 and they've yet to win a race.

We can all say he got the best opportunity to win, but the fact remains that these opportunties only present themselves to the best people, and he took that oportunity and realised it, in a way that no-one before him ever has. And others had the same chance and let it go begging.

He is one of the best, and no-one can take that from him. But he still lags behind the likes of G.Villeneuve, Rosemeyer, Senna and the definite number 1 Tazio Nuvolari as the greatest ever.

Bri was brought up by my dad eulogising over Clark and Fangio, then Moss, Hill, Peterson, Fittipaldi and other 'greats' but my dad reckons (and he was watching the British GP before the WAR!! on Pathe or LIVE) that only Senna of the 'modern' era was a sufficiently good driver to have lived with those of the 50's and 60's, as only he had the pure drive and naked ambition to push himself and the car beyond what they should achieve.

I'm with my dad on this one.

Â