Championship vs Premier League

Mic09

Now that we can all get excited about new transfers and funky Spanish players from teams like Celta Vigo rather than Irish players formerly at Dundee, it looks like there is a split in opinion.

Some people say that players like Lolley or Kodja are very good for the championship, but not good enough for the PL.

Others say that we need to be buying gems from the Championship as they are the 'undiscovered' talent.

That raises a question - how much difference is there between Championship and Premier League? Is the gap really that big? Could Norwich overtake Southampton or Brighton? Why did Wolves do so well last season?

Could the top 5/6 championship teams hold their ground playing West Ham or Newcastle on weekly basis?

Edited by Mic09

man utd buy a winger from Swansea who has 1 championship season under his belt for 18m

im not sure there are any undiscovered gems that would be a bargain 

I don't think the gap is that big, part of why city have got so many points is because the bottom half of the table is utter dogshit

think Dwight gayle is a great championship / not good enough for the PL player, not sure why though

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

man utd buy a winger from Swansea who has 1 championship season under his belt for 18m

im not sure there are any undiscovered gems that would be a bargain 

I don't think the gap is that big, part of why city have got so many points is because the bottom half of the table is utter dogshit

think Dwight gayle is a great championship / not good enough for the PL player, not sure why though

I really think PL below the top 6 (Leicester or Wolves included) is a lottery. Anyone can go down, anyone can fight for 9th. 

If the top 8 in Championship and the bottom 8 in Premier League from last season played in a league with the current squads you couldnt pick a favourite. Premier League is all hype and no substance and overall lacks quality

Interesting too that recently relegated clubs Stoke, Swansea, us, Hull have really struggled to get back up, Newcastle being an exception

Gap from top 2 to 3rd-6th is sizeable, gap from 6th-7th is enormous. 7th downwards is nothing. Wolves got low/mid 50s I think, and Brighton got about 38... thats just one good spell over 8 games separating them. Teams coming up will struggle as a matter of course, but Bournemouth and Watford have shown its possible to be comfortable in the PL without spending hundreds of millions, and I doubt Wolves will struggle either.

As was said above, teams coming down into the Championship struggle to get back up immediately as a rule - mainly due to losing players and restructuring. The one team that didnt do that went straight back up (Newcastle).

Look at the teams in there - its full of teams who've gone down in the last decade, and the likes of Bolton and Sunderland in L1...

Edited by StewieGriffin

Â