The House Price Crash Thread

Gringo

Will the average house be worth more or less in real terms in 12 months time  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Will the average house be worth more or less in real terms in 12 months time

• More
    • Less

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this stable economy, you know the one you defend Ian, is a contributor.... you know high interest rates, drives down house prices... boom and bust Ian...

where's this boom and bust evident? :?

where are these high interest rates? :?

apart from that, excellent post. :shock:

I wonder if this stable economy, you know the one you defend Ian, is a contributor.... you know high interest rates, drives down house prices... boom and bust Ian...

Labours time is over... and not a moment to soon!

Not wishing to go OT but I can't see Labour losing power any time soon

Interest Rates at 5.5%, thats pretty high, and rising... watch the housing market Jon... watch interest rates, they will be 7% before you know it!

what do you base that on, though, Nick?

I mean, interest rates rose in this country for 3 years up to the end of 2007, and in the last few months have actually been cut twice. So they are coming down, albeit only slowly and by small amounts.

.... Labour are putting pressure on the BofE to lower Interest rates as a vote winner

hey? :?

there is no looming GE in this country. Not for the best part of 2 years, anyway. Do you know something we don't?

If the independant BofE were to lower IR as a GE sweetener, i doubt they'd be doing it now.

.... Labour are putting pressure on the BofE to lower Interest rates as a vote winner

hey? :?

there is no looming GE in this country. Not for the best part of 2 years, anyway. Do you know something we don't?

If the independant BofE were to lower IR as a GE sweetener, i doubt they'd be doing it now.

Exactly why Labour will not be losing power any time soon. A GE is not even on the political horizon at this moment in time.

As for the BofE and interest rates would that be the same Labour party putting pressure on the BofE that made it independant in the first place? mmm

There WILL be a GE in the next 12 months, there will have to be, swapping PM's halfway through a term, don't make me laugh.

what, like when Major replaced Mrs T? Where was the GE then?

There does not have to be a GE after a change of PM/leader Nick. You know that. There is nothing in the UK constitution that necessitates that.

Could you explain therefore why there WILL be a GE in the next 12 months, as you won't find much support or evidence for that view, IMO.

Totally agree Jon. It is no different to the situation with the Conservative governments change in PM and your 100% correct when you say that there is no constitutionaly requirement.

Labour can effectively call a GE when they wish and I'm certain despite your belief Nick that in the current climate there is no chance this will happen in the next 12 months.

Yep I will, there will be pressure from the press and peers as GB will keep screwing the pooch.. it's gonna happen, mark my words, if I am wrong 20 bucks to VT!

20 bucks? Thats about 10 quid isn't it? Not that confident then? :D

$20 is quite alot, when interest rates are at 10.55% over here, guess what under a Labour Government... Tories will be back in here in the next election pretty much 100%... Nice...

As will happen in the UK.... GE in UK next 12 months definately!

Nick - your words are those of a desperate man mate - you are sounding more like Green Dave :-)

I'll take your 20 bucks bet and loser pays to VT, any more for the Nick bet?

As said the World economy is taking a hit. Unlike when Thatcher was in power the UK economy is now better able to take these punches and not go into meltdown like we experienced then (and for the record can you say who was one of the economic advisor's at that time - green and rides a bike are the clues).

Housing prices will find a new level and people will make adjustments accordingly but at least they can do it now not with inflation running at massive figures, and major unemployment.

As for Oil prices, yeah far too high and the cartel that set's the price will soon have to adjust as the new players in the market China and India can't get the growth that they need with prices at that level

Nick from Bloomburg

New Zealand's economy is expanding at an annual rate of 3.3 percent and the central bank has boosted interest rates four times to a record 8.25 percent in a bid to cool spending and limit inflation.

Â