London Marathon Training

villan-scott

Well, this is a first for me! 

I had a charity place confirm for the Virgin London Marathon 2018 last year. I was inspired to run it for the Neuro Foundation, following my little boy being diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis. A condition to which there is no treatment or cure, and differs in severity from one person to the next. So we have everything crossed for him. 

My training is taking shape now, and gone from doing very little to being able to run around 10 miles fairly comfortably now. 

Has anyone on here ran marathons before and got any tips and words of wisdom for me, as this will be my first one. 

Also, my Just Giving Page has been set up, here - 

Villan-Scott’s Just Giving Page

So if any Villatalkers feel generous, any donation is appreciated. Mods, if this contravenes any rules please let me know and I’ll remove  

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Well, this is a first for me! 

I had a charity place confirm for the Virgin London Marathon 2018 last year. I was inspired to run it for the Neuro Foundation, following my little boy being diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis. A condition to which there is no treatment or cure, and differs in severity from one person to the next. So we have everything crossed for him. 

My training is taking shape now, and gone from doing very little to being able to run around 10 miles fairly comfortably now. 

Has anyone on here ran marathons before and got any tips and words of wisdom for me, as this will be my first one. 

Also, my Just Giving Page has been set up, here - 

Villan-Scott’s Just Giving Page

So if any Villatalkers feel generous, any donation is appreciated. Mods, if this contravenes any rules please let me know and I’ll remove  

You can either run or you can't . Marathons don't require training for in the slightest. Just rock up on the day and get through it on adrenaline. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brumerican said:

You can either run or you can't . Marathons don't require training for in the slightest. Just rock up on the day and get through it on adrenaline. 

I ran three marathons in consecutive years, back in the mid-80s. First one (London), I trained properly, but never over 17/18 miles. Finished in 3:39. Second one (Leeds), I trained only sporadically, but finished in a very similar time. Third one (Leeds again), I did NO training. Zilch. Did the same time again. But it felt like utter hell. At that point I quit marathons - and indeed, all running - until I turned fifty, joined a club, and started running seriously. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I ran three marathons in consecutive years, back in the mid-80s. First one (London), I trained properly, but never over 17/18 miles. Finished in 3:39. Second one (Leeds), I trained only sporadically, but finished in a very similar time. Third one (Leeds again), I did NO training. Zilch. Did the same time again. But it felt like utter hell. At that point I quit marathons - and indeed, all running - until I turned fifty, joined a club, and started running seriously. 

I've never done 26 but we used to do 10 milers at least once a week in the Airborne Brigade (Even us non paras) so I'd like to think I could have done a marathon . (I've done the 3 peaks in 24 hours)

It is however something you absolutely have to train for unless you want to die :D

• Like 1

Â