Dubai

Stevo985

4 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

What is the point in going to Dubai? There is nothing there.

Years ago I had an Asian landlord. Lovely guy, stayed in his place for a good few years.

He used to go to Dubai a lot, and I found it puzzling for similar reasons to you.

Eventually I asked him what the attraction was?

He said his wife could put on her silks and her jewellery and could walk the streets in safety. Thought that was quite sweet.

He was a little guy that lived with his little wife, two little daughters and little father in law.

He usually played down his wealth by habit, and it was probably a sensible thing to do?

On 05/10/2023 at 23:17, viivvaa66 said:

There are many cases where tourists are arrested for made up offences and you could be detained for years or until you pay a massive bribe/fine, see Detained in Dubai.

There's actually quite a bit there, they've chucked money at entertainment now too, they've got several Waterparks and theme parks, a ridiculous amount of shopping centres etc

What is severely lacking though is just the ability to walk round and soak everything up, other proper cities you can walk the streets rather than go seek activities, dubai I personally thought that you couldnt, partly because of the heat but mostly because there's nothing of interest, it's all just tower blocks

Was planning to go to deira and see if that was different but because of the heat I couldn't be bothered

Also agree with the other post that in general it all felt perfectly fine and safe to me, the metro was rammed and not everyone was friendly but I've had worse, whenever I did walk about anywhere there was no people to be bothered by, no down and outs, no "rough" bits etc the idea of being arrested for holding hands or something fake again I didn't spend enough time outside the hotel to ever really think about that kind of nonsense

On 05/10/2023 at 22:17, viivvaa66 said:

There are many cases where tourists are arrested for made up offences and you could be detained for years or until you pay a massive bribe/fine, see Detained in Dubai.

If you are a Tik Tok influencer and you think wearing a skimpy outfit in a mosque is going to get you lots of likes , then yeah you will be arrested  

for 99.9% of the the rest of people you won't have any trouble  , heck the place is full of Russian prostitutes , they know it goes on , they just don't like you shagging your prostitute on the beach and stuff like that 

You aren't going to  see the Eiffel Tower or Windsor castle  if you go there  , but there is lots of stuff to see and do in Dubai , the 2 pages list lots of them   

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

If you are a Tik Tok influencer and you think wearing a skimpy outfit in a mosque is going to get you lots of likes , then yeah you will be arrested  

for 99.9% of the the rest of people you won't have any trouble  , heck the place is full of Russian prostitutes , they know it goes on , they just don't like you shagging your prostitute on the beach and stuff like that 

You aren't going to  see the Eiffel Tower or Windsor castle  if you go there  , but there is lots of stuff to see and do in Dubai , the 2 pages list lots of them   

Most people will most likely have no problems, but you do not need to do anything stupid or illegal to be detained or arrested.

Tierra Allen - Spoke loudly after a car accident, detained for months, allowed to leave Dubai after paying a bribe to the police.
Elizabeth Polanco De Los Santos - Falsely accused of “assaulting and insulting” Dubai airport staff, sentence to one year in prison.
Lee Bradley Brown - Beaten to death in Dubai prison, after being accused of swearing.
Jamie Harron - Detained for brushing past a man in a busy bar.

And the list goes on and on, even if you most likely would have no problems, it is still possible that your life will be ruined for no reason at all, just for visiting Dubai. If you need Russian prostitutes that badly, visit Russia instead. (OK, Russia has a questionable legal system too, but not as bad as Dubai.) 

Â