Sign in to follow this  
Stevo985

Dubai

Hello chaps and chapettes

Yet another travel topic to be opened by me :)

Thinking of doing a long weekend in September/October somewhere different (different for me!) and Dubai is on the list.

Only requirement at the moment is a nice hotel with a pool for a bit of sunbathing, and some advice on what to do when we're there.

All suggestions welcome :) 

Been a few times as it's easy to get to for a last minute Christmas break and I've left it too late to book further afield 

Dubai is one of those places you'll either love or hate , I like it , 6 hour (ish) flight (in the A380 as well seeing as you know what they are now :) ) ,warm weather , nice hotels and access to stuff to stop you getting bored ....beaches are ok , nothing to see in the sea though doubt you'll even see a fish off most of the beaches

...but it's very sterile and bloody expensive , I won't bore you with the Burj Al Arab and them wanting £9 for a can of Diet Coke by the pool ,  though tbf from the room you could send your butler over to the shops and he'd get you them for free :)

lots of rich Russians at the resorts which means lots of inappropriately dressed Russian women , probably a reason why Mrs H doesn't like the place as much as me as I go off into a trance by the beach looking at g-strings instead of watching my children  :blush:

The kempinski is on the mall of the emirates  , some of the rooms look into the indoor ski centre , pool was small but not crowded , I liked it there as you could sunbath by day then go skiing by night ( and shop a bit if that's your bag , easy access for food joints instead of being stuck at the hotel )

the Atlantis is fun ( and expensive ) but gets very busy at the watermark  , if you're  a guest you can access the rides(for free ) before the public and then get out of dodge when they arrive

Jumariah Beach is nice , it's where I met Rodger Federer as he was using their courts , nice bloke , stayed and did photos/ autographs  with everyone ... true story I was walking past the courts with Mrs H and could here some bloke grunting away hitting balls , said to Mrs H , who does that clearing in the woods think he is Roger Federer ?  ... turned out yes he does :)

other end of town by the Marina we stayed at le Meridien , good access to the tram and a short walk to restaurants in the marina by night , bit noisey at night due to the nightclub and rich arabs  revving their Ferraris at 3 am :)

To do , the Burj  Khalifa is worth a go , do the VIP tour and skip the que and also get free tee and cake and up to the top floors , the non VIP doesn't get you as high

Dune safari will equally scare you and thrill you , they tag in a camel ride and sand wake boarding ( hard work climbing back up the dunes ) and you can even do sky diving if you so wish ( I've not done it , not sure I ever will either )

one option to consider is a few hours drive from Dubai is a town called Fujairah , I've not been but it looked a lot more remote and peaceful  , kinda more Scenic with some hills  and on the Indian Ocean so you'll actually see some fish ... google sandy beach hotel and resort Fujairah and you'll get an idea of what I mean 

Or consider going to Oman instead ( I would have said Qatar but maybe not at the moment ) not as crowded should be slightly cheaper ( though not if you go cocktail drinking with awol as Mrs H and I did :) )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

I would 2nd Tony and go to Oman going instead. I find Dubai so ugly/distasteful where-as Oman is a fascinating mix of ancient culture, natural beauty and a modernizing leader who is truly loved by his people. (Not in a weird North Korean way.)

On 12/07/2017 at 01:00, tonyh29 said:

Been a few times as it's easy to get to for a last minute Christmas break and I've left it too late to book further afield 

Dubai is one of those places you'll either love or hate , I like it , 6 hour (ish) flight (in the A380 as well seeing as you know what they are now :) ) ,warm weather , nice hotels and access to stuff to stop you getting bored ....beaches are ok , nothing to see in the sea though doubt you'll even see a fish off most of the beaches

...but it's very sterile and bloody expensive , I won't bore you with the Burj Al Arab and them wanting £9 for a can of Diet Coke by the pool ,  though tbf from the room you could send your butler over to the shops and he'd get you them for free :)

lots of rich Russians at the resorts which means lots of inappropriately dressed Russian women , probably a reason why Mrs H doesn't like the place as much as me as I go off into a trance by the beach looking at g-strings instead of watching my children  :blush:

The kempinski is on the mall of the emirates  , some of the rooms look into the indoor ski centre , pool was small but not crowded , I liked it there as you could sunbath by day then go skiing by night ( and shop a bit if that's your bag , easy access for food joints instead of being stuck at the hotel )

the Atlantis is fun ( and expensive ) but gets very busy at the watermark  , if you're  a guest you can access the rides(for free ) before the public and then get out of dodge when they arrive

Jumariah Beach is nice , it's where I met Rodger Federer as he was using their courts , nice bloke , stayed and did photos/ autographs  with everyone ... true story I was walking past the courts with Mrs H and could here some bloke grunting away hitting balls , said to Mrs H , who does that clearing in the woods think he is Roger Federer ?  ... turned out yes he does :)

other end of town by the Marina we stayed at le Meridien , good access to the tram and a short walk to restaurants in the marina by night , bit noisey at night due to the nightclub and rich arabs  revving their Ferraris at 3 am :)

To do , the Burj  Khalifa is worth a go , do the VIP tour and skip the que and also get free tee and cake and up to the top floors , the non VIP doesn't get you as high

Dune safari will equally scare you and thrill you , they tag in a camel ride and sand wake boarding ( hard work climbing back up the dunes ) and you can even do sky diving if you so wish ( I've not done it , not sure I ever will either )

one option to consider is a few hours drive from Dubai is a town called Fujairah , I've not been but it looked a lot more remote and peaceful  , kinda more Scenic with some hills  and on the Indian Ocean so you'll actually see some fish ... google sandy beach hotel and resort Fujairah and you'll get an idea of what I mean 

Or consider going to Oman instead ( I would have said Qatar but maybe not at the moment ) not as crowded should be slightly cheaper ( though not if you go cocktail drinking with awol as Mrs H and I did :) )

I'm here now, anything to add to that since then mate? 

53 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I'm here now, anything to add to that since then mate? 

Not been back there since I wrote that but knowing  Dubai they’ve probably built Jurassic Park since I was last there and you can stroke dinosaurs :)

probably still Atlantis and the Khalifi are still the “best” things to look for .....have fun 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this  

Â