Delivery Problems

Demitri_C

So guys what happens if the post office lose your package admit to it but then tell you, you need to claim the refund from the company who you purchased the item from? They said I  will then have to be refunded by them and then the company puts in a claim against royal mail?

I have got in contact with the company but they are ignoring my emails and have no number to call on their website. I paid by debit card as well on this occasion not  card. what can i do? Have I lost my money? 

They're correct that you need to go via the company you bought the product from - you have no contract with Royal Mail, it's the sender who needs to pursue the costs for the lost package. 

How long have you been trying to contact the retailer without a response?

This is worth a read:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-you-ordered-hasnt-been-delivered/

If something you’ve ordered hasn't arrived, you should contact the seller to find out where it is.

It’s the seller’s legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you. They should chase the delivery company and let you know what’s happened to your item.

If your item wasn't delivered to the location you agreed (eg it was left with your neighbour without your consent), it's the seller's legal responsibility to sort out the issue. 

If the item doesn't turn up, you’re legally entitled to a replacement or refund.

Get the item delivered again

You can write to the seller and ask them to deliver the item again. You should do this if the item wasn't delivered within a reasonable time or the item wasn't delivered by an agreed date.

Our template letter can help with this.

Include these lines

"Failure to deliver within a reasonable time and outside of the agreed deadline is considered to be a breach of contract.

I am now making time of the essence and request the item be delivered within 14 days of receipt of this letter."

Get your money back

You can ask for your money back if you don’t receive the item either:

• within 30 days of buying it
  • on the date you agreed with the seller - if it was essential to receive it by then (eg for an event then or shortly after)

If the seller refuses to give you your money back, you should put your complaint in writing - follow their complaints procedure if they have one. 

If that doesn’t work you could:

• contact their trade association - look on their website for this information, or contact them to ask
  • use an alternative dispute resolution scheme - it’s a way of solving disagreements without going to court, where a third party will mediate to try and reach a solution

You might also be able to get your money back through your bank or payment provider - this depends on how you paid.

If you paid by debit card

Contact your bank and say you want to use the ‘chargeback scheme’. If the bank agrees, they can ask the seller’s bank to reverse the transaction and refund the money back into your account.

Many bank staff don’t know about the scheme, so you might need to speak to a supervisor or manager. They might ask you to put your request in writing. You should do this within 120 days of when you paid.

If you paid by credit card

If the item cost less than £100, you should contact your credit card company and say you want to use the ‘chargeback scheme’. They could also ask you to put your request in writing. There’s no time limit for when you need to do this.

If the item cost more than £100 but less than £30,000, contact your credit card company and say that you want to make a ‘section 75’ claim to get your money back.

If you paid using PayPal

Use PayPal’s online resolution centre to report your dispute. You must do so within 180 days of paying.

Report to Trading Standards

If you think the seller’s broken the law, for example, by taking your money and refusing to deliver your item, you should report them to Trading Standards. They may be able to investigate and even prosecute the seller, but won’t usually be able to get you your money back.

Edited by Davkaus

Also worth mentioning that sometimes the seller has something like a 30 day policy on this stuff.

As in, you have to wait 30 days and if it still isn't delivered after that period, then they'll refund you.

It's annoying, as you both know it isn't going to arrive, but I've had that on at least a couple of occasions in the past.

@Demitri_C I had a similar situation, but it wasn't Royal Mail that lost it but the company that just didn't send the item (blamed supply issues, was 10 weeks since the order was placed). I filed for a chargeback with HSBC on the phone who were aware of the policy and eventually got me my money back. They were pretty good to be honest, even though I've now switch to Nationwide.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 09:29, a m ole said:

@Demitri_C I had a similar situation, but it wasn't Royal Mail that lost it but the company that just didn't send the item (blamed supply issues, was 10 weeks since the order was placed). I filed for a chargeback with HSBC on the phone who were aware of the policy and eventually got me my money back. They were pretty good to be honest, even though I've now switch to Nationwide.

Great I a with HSBC am going to ring them today. THese clowns just ignoring emails. Never ordering from a website contact number again 

Â