Google Home

PieFacE

So, who is interested in one of these?

For someone like myself who's used only android phones and subscribes to Google Music, has loads of Hue bulbs, going to be purchasing a Nest, got a Samsung TV which will hopefully be SmartThings enables within a few months, it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

What are your thoughts on this? Gimmick, or something worth having? 

I'm thinking about getting one, or an Amazon Echo.  I'd ordinarily be buying something like this based purely on sound quality, but I like the idea of trying out the AI aspect of it.

I don't live in a smart home though (renting at the moment) and am an Apple prisoner, so don't know if the Google one makes as much sense as Amazon where we've got a Prime account.

• Like 1

I was very interested in Google Home, as I have Hue Lights, a Nest Thermostat and Smartthings and most importantly use Google Music, however I cannot see it being released here in 2016 and if the Echo or Dot are reduced in the Black Friday deals I will be going that way instead and cancel Google Music and have Spotify instead.

Home has the potentially to be really great but I suspect the reviews of it which come out after its release in the US will not be glowing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So Google Home arrived today. First thoughts are that it's much smaller than I expected. Not surpringly it's no Sonos replacement.

Works well with Nest, Hue and SmartThings which is what I expected. You cannot choose a UK news source, BBC World service is as close as it gets.

Might get a Dot to compare it with

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure how this compares to the Amazon Echo but with Google Home you have to use the exact phrase for it to do things so "hey google turn the lounge lights on" gets the very useful I cannot help with that but "hey google turn on the lounge lights" works.

This as you can imagine is driving my wife round the bend...................thank you google.

You cannot ask it to play music on a different speaker yet but you can get it to play youtube on the chromecast plugged into your TV.

At this point I would hold off paying money for it unless its a bargain. Google will get it right they just need to do it alot quicker than they are at the moment as Amazon are really capitalising on their early to market dominance.

Yeah when creating this thread I was torn between the Echo and Home. However, I currently have an Echo and a Dot and am liking it very much. Even my GF uses it without issue which is handy. Currently got it controlling my lights, TV equipment. Nest is getting installed next week. 

Google have just taken too long getting this out there and getting third party devs to create compatible apps for it.  I'm sure in the long run the Home will be smarter than the Echo as Google will create the better AI,  but right now Amazon are quite far ahead.

I agree that the delay in taking it out if the US might cost them but I am not sure that is even 70% ready for primetime just yet.

Google need their version of the Dot, something similar to the Nvidia thing announced at CES.

If you have Amazon Prime then it really is a no brainier.

23 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I agree that the delay in taking it out if the US might cost them but I am not sure that is even 70% ready for primetime just yet.

Google need their version of the Dot, something similar to the Nvidia thing announced at CES.

If you have Amazon Prime then it really is a no brainier.

Well here's the thing,  I didn't have Amazon Prime,  and I didn't use Amazon Music. I used to subscribe to Google Music but since getting an Echo that's all changed.  

Google seemingly taking their time could affect them more than they realise.  

• 2 months later...

So next week Google Home goes on sale in the UK and undercuts the Echo by £20.00. It will be interesting at to what UK centric offering google include as currently the closest you can get is BBC world service or something similar. I will be looking to change the language on mine to UK next week to see whats available.

• 1 month later...

I havent got an Echo so thats hard to say.

It understand what I say 99 times out of 100, my wife however it oftens doesnt understand (I have sympathy on that).

I have Hue lights and a Nest thermostat so that works great, I have a Yale door lock and Samsung smartthings so I can ask it to unlock the front door for someone if I am in the house and cant be arsed to get up. The speaker is OK, not at Sonos standard but I am sure at some point you will be able to cast to a sonos speaker. You can ask it to play a film trailer on your Chromecast attached to a TV and it will swith to that input and start playing.

If they role out the feature mentioned at Google I/O of being able to make telephone calls to your contacts through it then that will be cool.

How much stuff do you want to do with voice actions?

Â