Star Citizen

Straggler

After the mile wide and inch deep experience that was No Mans Sky, the next project that I am getting unreasonably excited about is Star Citizen.  The ambition for this game is HUGE, and the ability of the comparatively small team to deliver against has to be a concern, however if they can pull it off the game looks like it could be a bit epic.  Unlike No Mans Sky whilst there are procedural planets they are doing story driven stuff inside it which sounds more like how something like how Red Dead Redemption worked.  It relies on multiplayer and there will be PVP, mining and a a bunch of ships with different flying styles and a bunch of vehicles to use when you land on a planet.

I have a number of concerns with the scope being so huge, all the delays that have already been announced and how they are looking at monetising it (it looks very expensive as they have it at the moment) but if it is good as I hope then take my money.

• Like 1

Star Citizen is not something I'd stake my hopes on. 

The delays, increasing monetisation, a more than a few stories would have me fairly wary.

I'd be surprised if the game promised ever releases.

33 minutes ago, Straggler said:

After the mile wide and inch deep experience that was No Mans Sky, the next project that I am getting unreasonably excited about is Star Citizen.  The ambition for this game is HUGE, and the ability of the comparatively small team to deliver against has to be a concern, however if they can pull it off the game looks like it could be a bit epic.  Unlike No Mans Sky whilst there are procedural planets they are doing story driven stuff inside it which sounds more like how something like how Red Dead Redemption worked.  It relies on multiplayer and there will be PVP, mining and a a bunch of ships with different flying styles and a bunch of vehicles to use when you land on a planet.

I have a number of concerns with the scope being so huge, all the delays that have already been announced and how they are looking at monetising it (it looks very expensive as they have it at the moment) but if it is good as I hope then take my money.

I just needed to clear up some things with your post. 

One the team isn't small. Cloud Imperium Games have four studios around the World with a combined talent pool of 300+ people.

The game has a development budget of $127 million, which makes it the 6th most expensive game in history. Yet due to how they monetise the game in early access they generate on average $3 million a month which adds to that total.

Second the game on release will be a full price title with some small microtransactions like every other modern video game.

What it won't be is what it is now with $900 ships for purchase as those are merely a way for backers to support the development while getting a ship to fly around in. If that's not your jam then wait a couple years for it to officially launch for £60 and buy that version.

• Like 1

I was going to post the gif somewhere yesterday - can't at the moment as at work - but the 'inter-planetery jump' is mighty impressive. I'll have to dig it out and put it in here later.

As it won't ever make it to console (well, I'm pretty sure it won't - just look at it), I am highly unlikely to ever be in a position to decide whether to buy it or not. I have been, and will continue to, keep tabs on the development of it.

32 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I just needed to clear up some things with your post. 

One the team isn't small. Cloud Imperium Games have four studios around the World with a combined talent pool of 300+ people.

The game has a development budget of $127 million, which makes it the 6th most expensive game in history. Yet due to how they monetise the game in early access they generate on average $3 million a month which adds to that total.

Second the game on release will be a full price title with some small microtransactions like every other modern video game.

What it won't be is what it is now with $900 ships for purchase as those are merely a way for backers to support the development while getting a ship to fly around in. If that's not your jam then wait a couple years for it to officially launch for £60 and buy that version.

Agreed, not a small team, certainly bigger than No Mans Sky, but significantly smaller than the team that produced GTA for example.  That said, I'm not an expert on game development, I'm only excited by the possibility of this style of game.  Even if this one doesn't hit it's brief perfectly (or at all if it doesn't get released) I like the direction of travel. 

Regarding microtransactions, I'm at my heart not a fan of them at all, but I think it is because most of the time I see them they are a part of a full price AAA game.  I resent having content withheld from a game at full price that I have to pay extra for to get the full experience.  I am beginning to come around to the idea though for games like this one so long as it avoids pay to win situations, I do understand that they need to earn to keep the game alive.

I'd prefer a full price game with all the content available but gated by experience / progress to get to the high level stuff with paid for expansions down the road.  However I know for this game to work they will need a large community playing it to make it feel alive which is much easier achieved with a low/no barrier to entry and a free to play model.  But as I said I'm no expert so the last thing they need to do is listen to what I have to say on the matter (which is non committal anyway)

• Like 1

All my old Planetside playing buddies somehow got me to preorder this about about 18 months ago, I should really be paying more attention to the weekly emails they send out as it's quite the sort of game I'd like to amble about for hours doing not much.   Though it hasn't yet captured my imagination (maybe because trying to play the hanger "demo" section they launched some time ago makes my 8 year old PC cry.

I really ought to get back into the habit of reading minimum computer specs before I buy games again!

Ah yeah the specs for this game are insane at this point. To even get close to the visuals they use to show off the game you are looking at the most cutting edge hardware.. Even to get it running well at any sort of visual fidelity requires high-end hardware and it's only getting higher as they add more stuff. 

• 8 months later...

This 'game' is now effectively owned by a bank.

All those people who have spent hundreds, thousands, of pounds on promised ships might not be best pleased in the near future.

This is buying time before the thing collapses entirely. Presumably the bank must see some value in some of the assets they cobbled together with over £150m to date, that can be flogged when the wheels fall off.

• 4 months later...

That transition from the city to the orbital is pretty blooming amazing (23ish mins in).  I've not looked at this game in months and checked the Youtube page because it is more fun than actually doing work and found what if it is real looks so like my cup of tea.

• Like 1

The thing with Star Citizen is what they show is 100% real, there are playable builds right now for those that pledge money, but the issue is this game is 6+ years in the making and they likely still have another 4-5 years to go before it truly leaves Beta. When the game is fully out and complete it will be phenomenal and those playing the totally unfinished game right now love it, but we are so far away from this game being fully completed. It does look phenomenal though and the latest keynote of the planet wide cities are just stunning. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Daweii said:

The thing with Star Citizen is what they show is 100% real, there are playable builds right now for those that pledge money, but the issue is this game is 6+ years in the making and they likely still have another 4-5 years to go before it truly leaves Beta. When the game is fully out and complete it will be phenomenal and those playing the totally unfinished game right now love it, but we are so far away from this game being fully completed. It does look phenomenal though and the latest keynote of the planet wide cities are just stunning. 

Wow, ten plus years in the making is sinking a big chunk of so many peoples professional lives into a single game.  I hope for the people who devote all that energy into it that they can be proud of the results. 

• 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, hogso said:

Is it a game yet? 

Come back in 2028 ?

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

There's a £27k pack available for this now.

If you've already given them a grand.

And you're pants on head insane.

The more they do stuff like this the louder those claiming the game is a massive scam get. This "indie" game right now has a budget bigger than almost any other game ever made and it's like 15% completed or something stupid. This game was meant to have launched in a complete state in 2014. We are now in 2018 and they are still trying to add more than one planet that players can land on, this is a game that is meant to have thousands of planets, bases, cities and everything else, yet here they are sinking all of their time into ships of which some of them have a higher value than a semi-decent second hand car. I want to believe that this game is legit and on the up and up, but holy shit are they pushing it with packs like that.. The scary thing is they likely sold hundreds of packs at £27,000. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Is it a game yet? 

29 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Come back in 2028 ?

The more they do stuff like this the louder those claiming the game is a massive scam get. This "indie" game right now has a budget bigger than almost any other game ever made and it's like 15% completed or something stupid. This game was meant to have launched in a complete state in 2014. We are now in 2018 and they are still trying to add more than one planet that players can land on, this is a game that is meant to have thousands of planets, bases, cities and everything else, yet here they are sinking all of their time into ships of which some of them have a higher value than a semi-decent second hand car. I want to believe that this game is legit and on the up and up, but holy shit are they pushing it with packs like that.. The scary thing is they likely sold hundreds of packs at £27,000. 

It's less a game, more a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Pretty incredible DF video here, at least, if you weren't already aware of just how detailed, and impressive technically, this game is. 

Edited by hogso

Â