Gigabit Wifi

mykeyb

I am currently with Sky Broadband (not Fibre) and with 2 kids and a wife we do an awful lot of media streaming from my server. I am currently looking at changing my current bog standard Sky Router with a Gigabit Wifi Router which hopefully will give me more internal bandwidth and a better wifi signal around the house. Any recommendations?

What's your budget?

I swear by the ASUS range, I've been using the AC68U for a year or so now, it still pleases me when my phone connects to it at the end of the street, and I get 80Mbps at the bottom of my garden which is about 15 metres and a solid external wall away.But it has all sorts of bells and whistles that you might not give a shit about. Is it just raw data transfer speeds and range you care about?

FYI, Sky don't support using your own router, and won't give you the username/password. It's obtainable, you'll just have to spend some time dicking around with Wireshark to get them. There's a few guides online and people have been doing it for years, but's it's a bit more involved than it is for other ISPs.

Edited by Davkaus

Money no object, want something that works well...........................hmm

I have just bought a Homehub 5 of ebay to see if there is indeed a speed increase.

Not expecting a miracle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I shouldn't post this in this topic but I have just moved to a new flat. The area doesn't have fibre broadband yet so I've got BT with supposed speeds of up to 17mb/s.  When I was unpacking I noticed that the previous tenant had left his old router at the flat and he also had a netgear gigabit switch installed. I have no idea what one of these is just that it is supposed to improve speeds. Is it worth keeping? Will I get a better speed compared to the bog standard router BT provide?

The newer homehub (v5) has Gigabit ethernet, anyway. If you have one of the older homehubs that doesn't, you'll get better speeds locally, as in between the devices that you have plugged in to the switch, so if you move lots of files around between your own devices, or stream media from a home server or something like that, it may be beneficial.

It won't have any effect on your internet speeds unless you had a connection faster than 100mbps which you're nowhere near.

Edited by Davkaus