Volunteer work abroad

mikeyp102

So not going away with mates this year and can't take a long time off work to go travelling on my own again (a holiday alone is a different). So I was thinking of maybe going to somewhere (Africa maybe) and doing some volunteering. Has anyone ever done something like that? 

My brother did volunteer work for about 3 weeks in a school in Tanzania a couple of years back. There are a few organisations that you can do it through, but from memory he organised it through International Volunteer HQ.

• Like 1

I've done it twice, in Ghana and Cambodia. Both in schools. Really enjoyed both stints but do your research as to which charity you work with as with both of mine I felt there were issues with how funding was distributed. PM me if you need any advice!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chappy said:

I've done it twice, in Ghana and Cambodia. Both in schools. Really enjoyed both stints but do your research as to which charity you work with as with both of mine I felt there were issues with how funding was distributed. PM me if you need any advice!

How did you find Cambodia chappy? I am considering going there for few days when I next go Thailand

How did you find Cambodia chappy? I am considering going there for few days when I next go Thailand

Definitely recommend going. Wasn't too enamoured by Phnom Penh as a city but definitely go there and visit the Killing Fields. Siem Reap is a must because you can use it as a base to visit Angkor Wat. In terms of beaches in the south, I went to Sihanoukville and Koh Kong, the first is touristy and the second is not, both worth going in their own way.

Â