Vivaldi Browser

leviramsey

Many of you may remember my long-time advocacy for Opera, which some years ago switched to being essentially an alternative skin of Chrome, discarding nearly every feature of Opera in the process, especially those in the UI. Since then, I've been kind of in limbo: I use a 3 year-old version of Opera Classic except for sites where I need Chromium or Firefox. None of these is a good choice for me.

Well, the former CEO (and original programmer) of Opera has a new browser, Vivaldi. Nearly all of the old features has carried over: customizable key-bindings, customizable UI (tab bar on the left and address bar on the bottom is The One True Browser Layout!), most-recently-used tab-cycling, and, since it's using Chrome's rendering engine, it renders pages exactly as Chrome does.

I know I'm gushing but I found out about this today, and it's in the running for best thing to happen to me in years (also in the running: getting married and having a kid).

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

How did anyone get on with this?  I'm finding that Chrome is just eating way too much memory on my Mac so I'm looking for an alternative. Don't like that Safari doesn't allow Favicons so I need an option.  Help!

The best alternative is probably a Chromebook.

:trollface:

1 hour ago, limpid said:

The best alternative is probably a Chromebook.

:trollface:

Probably not ideal for my line of work. Alright for browsing in Starbucks though ;)

I've ended up going through Safari, Opera, Vivaldi and now Firefox this morning.  Gonna stick with Firefox for now.  Not used it for years, but it seems to have the visuals and functionality I need.

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Probably not ideal for my line of work. Alright for browsing in Starbucks though ;)

I've ended up going through Safari, Opera, Vivaldi and now Firefox this morning.  Gonna stick with Firefox for now.  Not used it for years, but it seems to have the visuals and functionality I need.

I went back to Firefox in the end.  I just find that the others lack something whereas Firefox has everything I like, plus I'm used to it insofar as I know how to get into its gubbins if I need to tweak something.

It's definitely a general Chrome issue that it's a resource hungry app.  I Googled around (ironic) and found that it's a common issue with Macs and Chrome.  Using another browser can save hours in battery, apparently.

In the Activity Monitor there were several entries for Chrome Helper Tool, each accounting for several hundred MB.  Safari is fine, but there are no Favicons and I rely on them a lot, so Firefox is looking like the best option right now.

The reason Chrome is as quick as it is as a browser is because it hogs as much of the PC's resources as it wants.  Each tab is a separate process in itself as opposed to there being 1 Chrome process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yep - that seems to be the issue @BOF.  There's also no option to manually run plug-ins so everything is full pelt at all times.

Does this work?

Have you ever opened a webpage only to have all sorts of multimedia on the page just start playing? Chrome has a hidden setting that was designed to prevent situations just like that. Read on to find out how to enable it.

24 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

@limpid No, they've taken that functionality out. Makes me wonder if they get kick backs off the advertisers too.

I've just tried it on Linux and the options are all there to turn off automatic running. I wonder why they're disabled on MacOS.

Â