The 'internet of things'

PompeyVillan

y5zhVfB.png

Taken from here

The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects or “things” embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and exchange data.  The Internet of Things allows objects to be sensed and controlled remotely across existing network infrastructure, creating opportunities for more direct integration between the physical world and computer-based systems, and resulting in improved efficiency, accuracy and economic benefit. Each thing is uniquely identifiable through its embedded computing system but is able to interoperate within the existing Internet infrastructure.

With a billion-plus connected smart devices and machines worldwide, the Internet of Things (IoT) provides vast amounts of actionable data in near real time.

Pretty much every building we do now is hooked up through BMS, it's ridiculously clever stuff

But that's been happening for years, I think about 7 years a go I built a school in Telford where a bloke on a computer could monitor co2 levels in the classroom and open the windows if it got too high...

I'll jump on board for lights, thermostats, even smoke alarms, though there's no chance I'm exposing them directly to the internet.

Toothbrushes, kettles and microwaves though?!

Traffic management is the exciting one for me. The cloud already knows where traffic is bad as it monitors the speed and direction people with sat navs are travelling. When that data can talk to traffic lights then we could see significant drops in commute times and pollution. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone was considering Samsung Smartthings I can whole heartedly recommend you don't waste your money. The UK supported tech is just not comprehensive enough with nearly half of the items supported being speakers, no thermostats supported which is a huge mistake. 

They only managed last week to fix the issue which meant you couldn't add the Smartthings channel to your IFTT account.

Pity really

Â