MY America Trip

YLN

I'm looking at a little jaunt to North America and am going in fairly blind in terms of time to spend in different places or where to go etc. So I've a friend in Toronto so I was going to go there for 5/6 days, then head to New York for 3/4 days, then Miami for 5/6 days and then head to Charleston where I've another friend and I'd spend maybe 4/5 days there. I don't drive so I'd be at the mercy of public transportation systems. The flights are nearly €1000 all in which isn't bad including all those internal flights, but I'd be interested to hear if I'm missing out on somewhere I should go, or what I should do in my time in the different places etc. I have a cousin in New York I might get in contact with. I'm not really looking to go out and get very very drunk, more head around the different places and hang out and people watch and get a feel for things. Maybe do things. Like I don't know. Watch a Villa match in a supporters bar in NY. Something like that. Or do an art class. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas for things or have identified mistakes I've made, or ways I could improve the trip, please do let me know. Tnx xox

Edited by YLN

Toronto is nice but not 6 days nice... Couple of days will do you .... Consider heading to Niagara on the lake and then the falls...you could take the train to New York from Toronto but it may not be any cheaper than a flight and takes around 9 hours if I recall ( trains are fairly pants in America from my experience ) 

3 / 4 days is about right for New York

id go to Washington , again you could take the train from New York , so check the price ...lots of interesting landmarks  and museums to visit  and Charlestown is only a short and cheap flight 

Miami- I'd cover a bit more of Florida rather than just Miami 

When are you going, YLN?

In a week or two I think.

I think I'm happy enough to just pal around Toronto for a few days extra. Drink coffee, read, be a self actualised super-clearing in the woods. I would be interested in Washington though. I was looking at Boston too, but I'd fear a burn out. Lots of flying. Might leave both of them for another trip. 

Since you're only talking about the East Coast, Amtrak is actually fairly viable, though the border crossing at Niagara Falls can make the schedule unreliable for Toronto to New York, but there are two trains a day between New York and Miami.  It works out online to $278 for coach tickets via the Silver Meteor for New York - Miami - Charleston - New York: with a Roomette sleeper that goes to $844.

I got a pretty good deal on the flights, even though I probably would have preferred a train. Novelty may have worn off after a couple of days though. I'm flying into Toronto. Five nights there. Then three nights in NY. Three in DC. Four in Miami. Five in Charleston. Then fly home from Charleston. Aside from all the airports, I'm really looking forward to it. Flights came to €860 in total, including the internals, which I thought was pretty good. And the hostels are about €20-30 per night. Exciting. Not quite sure what I'm going to do in Miami. Beaches and strip clubs I guess. Any other ideas?

Toronto we booked a meal at the revolving restaurant in the CN tower, was ok, expensive, you do however get to go down to the viewing gallery, you don't have to queue either you just go straight up, we were ten minutes early, it was packed, got to go down to the viewing gallery before we ate

My missus who's as straight laced as they come asked me "what would they do if we walked away right now?"

:detect:

Queue jumping and for free... Depends on your conscious I spose

Â