Ingress

Rob182

Has anyone heard of this game? Or is playing it?

I've heard a bunch of guys at work talking about it, and it seems like a good idea (though I'm not playing it, as it sounds like it would take up a lot of my time!)

This is wiki's explanation:

'Ingress is a near-real time alternate reality massively multiplayer online pervasive game created by Niantic Labs, a startup within Google, originally for Android devices, and since July 14, 2014 for Apple's iOS. The game has a complex science fiction back story with a continuous open narrative.

The gameplay consists of establishing "portals" at places of public art, landmarks, cenotaphs, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units, i.e. people, nominally controlled by each faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map).

The necessary links between portals may range from meters to kilometers, or to hundreds of kilometers in operations of considerable logistical complexity.'

I like the idea of taking photos of real landmarks and your team 'owning' them in the game. Villa Park anyone?

Yeah - been playing it for ~16 months or so.  

It's ok as a game concept, it really depends on the local community, if they're full whiners, cheaters and malcontents it's not like you can just switch to another server.  However it's much better if you can get involved with local events and embrace the MM part of MMO.

That said the "achievements" don't add anything to the multiplayer/teamwork aspect - and with them now being required for the higher levels, Niantic won't be winning any friends by pulling stunts like draining everyone's portals as they did over the last weekend to make things a bit easier for the IOS rollout this week (and basically ruining everyone's work in trying to keep a portal under their control for 6 months).

Get a battery pack for your phone mind, if you thought NSS was a battery drain...

Edit for layout (as it was making my eyes bleed rereading it) and for some awful spelling errors.

Edited by CardiffGreens

Â