Nuzlocke challenge

StefanAVFC

The 2 basic rules are:

If a pokemon faints, it's dead.

You can only catch 1 pokemon per route/area (usually the first you encounter)

You can add more rules as you go along.

I'm doing:

Have to nickname all pokemon

No healing outside of battle (apart from pokemon centres)

That doesn't sound like much fun. I like to take my time on pokemon. I like a balanced team and I level them all up equally and do a fair bit of grinding.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

It's fun because it's a challenge. Also you have to play far tactically because they can never faint.

My current team is:

Russell the Torchic (level 13)

Aphrodite the Lombre (level 16)

PIDGEYLOL the Taillow (level 14)

Boxed: 

Biatch the Poochyena (level 7)

Just beat Roxanne.

• Like 1

My team very rarely faint anyway, but sometimes it can't be helped. Some of the Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and the Champion have pokemon that can one-hit-KO you.

That doesn't sound like much fun. I like to take my time on pokemon. I like a balanced team and I level them all up equally and do a fair bit of grinding.

See my partner does that!

I have a different strategy, two very powerful, two less so and then one less than that, with one not too powerful (so I can still battle and catch on the go). I am currently (still!) playing Black & White 2, I might start again and do a challenge.

I still remember getting my copy of Blue through the post and not knowing what to expect. I bloody loved it. I love all pokemon games. Shame the newer pokemon are so terrible though. They need to stop doing pokemon without any evolutions and just make vast majority if not all pokemon two evolutions.

They're remaking Ruby and Sapphire. Not my favourite game but I'll still get it any way.

I think Gold and Silver are my favourites overall to be honest.

Not through anything other than chance. I told my brother about it and said we should get both so we could trade and he wanted Red so I went with Blue. The only thing I like about Red over Blue is that Red has Scyther which is cooler than Pinsir. Oh and Growlithe I guess. 

I wish they'd do another remake of Red and Blue for the 3DS.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

GOLD! My favourite too! Bloody thing (original version) has a dodgy battery in the cartridge though - both Mia and I can't use our version :(

To make matters worse, I had the remake of Gold, was playing it on a train - took it out, put another in - got off at my stop and realised it wasn't with me, I had knocked it off the train table and presumed I had put it back in the case (as you do...). I had worked so frickin hard on that!

When will Nintendo finally make the Pokemon MMO RPG that everyone has wanted for years.

Something like Ni No Kuni but with Pokemon and massively multiplayer - that would sell like a bajillion copies.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

Not knowing anything about Pokemon, but reading this thread it sounds interesting...

anyone want to give me an overview?   Why different colours?

Is it in essence a puzzle game?

The different colours are just names. Basically, pokemon games come in generations which refer to the pokemon that feature in the games and the lands they are set in.

The first generation of games are Red and Blue. These games featured the original 150 pokemon. Every generation has two games denoted by different names, often colours or opposites. After having been released for a while, they usually release a third game in the generation which improves upon it in some ways, new challenges and bug updates for example. The only difference between these games are that there are a few pokemon that you can catch in one copy, but not in the others and vice versa. This encourages you to trade pokemon with a friend with the other copies, either that or it encourages you to buy all of the versions and two Gameboys so you can trade.

For example, Red featured all pokemon with exception to: Sandshrew and its evolution Sandslash, Vulpix and its evolution Ninetails, Meowth and its evolution Persian, Bellsprout and its two evolutions Weepinbell and Victreebell, Magmar and finally Pinsir. These pokemon are all available in Blue but not Red. Likewise, Red had a number of pokemon that Blue didn't. You don't HAVE to catch 'em all, but you can if you wish.

The main gameplay of every single pokemon game no matter what generation is that you start off as a new trainer and can choose from one of three starter pokemon (it's worth noting that you can't catch any of the starter pokemon in the wild, so you need to trade for them too) from a Pokemon Professor. You then set off on a journey to catch more pokemon, raise them, evolve them to make them stronger if you wish and go around the land battling wild pokemon and other pokemon trainers for money and pokemon Gym Leaders for badges. Once you have eight badges from eight different gyms, you challenge the Elite Four, four of the best pokemon trainers in the land, and then the Champion, the best trainer in the land, so you can be crowned champion. There is also usually an evil team up to no good that you wind up battling against numerous times to thwart their plans.

The next generation of games is Gold and Silver. It's set in a new world with new pokemon (though a number of the original 150 pokemon can be found in-game (or at least traded over) and you pretty much do the same as the last game. Gym badges, Elite Four, Champion and evil doers.

Battle is turn-based and matching up pokemon types is often key. For instance, the three starter pokemon are always Grass, Water and Fire. If you choose a Fire-type, it'll be effective against Grass-type pokemon but weak against Water-types. Water-types are strong against Fire, but weak against Grass. Grass-types are strong against Water and weak against Fire. There's more than just those three types though, so learning what is strong and weak to what is important.

That's the basics really. There are a number of pokemon games now each with new pokemon to catch and train:

Gen 1: Red and Blue (later remade into Fire Red and Leaf Green and there's a special edition called Yellow where you start off with a Pikachu that mirrors the Pokemon cartoon)

Gen 2: Gold, Silver and Crystal (recently remade into Heart Gold and Soul Silver with updated graphics and gameplay.)

Gen 3: Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald (these are in the process of being remade with updated gameplay and graphics for the 3DS)

Gen 4: Diamond, Pearl and Platinum

Gen 5: Black and White (with their sequels the imaginatively named Black 2 and White 2)

Gen 6: X and Y

Hope that answers some of your questions, but anything else you'd like to know feel free to ask.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 4

Â