Albania

Tayls

Hi all

I am currently holidaying in Corfu and you can see Sarande in Albania which is just across the sea. Is it worth going over there for a day to see the city and also to check out Butrint? Has anyone ever been to Albania or will it merely just add a new country to my list of places I've visited without providing any excitement?

Edited by Tayls

Which part of Corfu are you in? We went to Kassiopi last year and you could see it from there too. We hired boats and went down the coast but we told not to go over there as tempting as it was.

Edited by adz.villa

We're in Kassiopi as well bud! Yea we would have to head back down to Corfu town and get the boat from there, but if it is worth seeing then would definitely be up for it.

Any other recommendations whilst we are here? Got another 4 days or so.

I'm doing exactly that in June

Ferry from Corfu day at Butrint and then carrying on up to Tirana ... If you like your Romans then Butrint will be well worth it

sarande is supposed to be quite decent for night life but not sure how it would Compare v Corfu ( less Brits I'd imagine )

Edited by tonyh29

Im booked in for a few days in Ksamil, slightly south of Saranda, in August, then getting the ferry over to Corfu to finish the trip. By all acounts Saranda is a bit of a dive, but Ksamil is supposed to be nice for beaches. But I guess if youre in Corfu you already have good beaches?

(On a side note, how is Corfu treating you? Any tips on nice beaches to go to? Anything interesting to see?)

I keep seeing things about Albania being in the top 5 places to visit as they are really trying to bring in more tourism now, so, good time to go if you are going properly. I am really keen to see Butrint which is down south of Sarande (I think) but my family are not so keen on heading over there with me. Grrrrr.

I am in Kassiopi which is lovely. Staying in a nice villa right by the sea. (Just seen a pod of dolphins playing as I write this). There are no sandy beaches mind, however the pebble beaches are still worth a visit and you can quite easily lounge about for a few hours. The town is great with some lovely tavernas right by the harbour. Lots of shops and supermarkets also.

We spent a day in Corfu town which was ok, much busier than Kassiopi of course. Again lots of restaurants that you can just grab a seat outside and watch the world go by. Lots of lovely churches and squares to visit that you can have a mooch around. We took a glass bottom boat out to sea, booked through Cosmic (small trip company) and they had divers that went into the water to point out all of the sea creatures to you. That was kinda fun.

Corfu is really lovely, as are all Greek islands though tbf.

Edited by Tayls

I keep seeing things about Albania being in the top 5 places to visit as they are really trying to bring in more tourism now, so, good time to go if you are going properly. I am really keen to see Butrint which is down south of Sarande (I think) but my family are not so keen on heading over there with me. Grrrrr.

I am in Kassiopi which is lovely. Staying in a nice villa right by the sea. (Just seen a pod of dolphins playing as I write this). There are no sandy beaches mind, however the pebble beaches are still worth a visit and you can quite easily lounge about for a few hours. The town is great with some lovely tavernas right by the harbour. Lots of shops and supermarkets also.

We spent a day in Corfu town which was ok, much busier than Kassiopi of course. Again lots of restaurants that you can just grab a seat outside and watch the world go by. Lots of lovely churches and squares to visit that you can have a mooch around. We took a glass bottom boat out to sea, booked through Cosmic (small trip company) and they had divers that went into the water to point out all of the sea creatures to you. That was kinda fun.

Corfu is really lovely, as are all Greek islands though tbf.

Cheers for the heads up bro! Shame you cant head over to Albania.

As for Corfu sounds blissful! One of the guys im travelling has an absolute hissy fit when he sees a beach with pebbles and not sand, so he wont be up for that, but the rest sounds great. Hope you have a brilliant rest of trip!

went corfu few years ago nice little greek island. beaches are ok not the best, but lovely atmosphere there and friendl;y people

thought the food was crap over there though and avoid going kavos its a absolute dump

• 4 weeks later...

re Albania - you will get a lot of "street urchins" asking you for the obligatory Euro - evil look and a NO will usually suffice.

It's poor basically and its one of those tick off the list places - but I haven't spent any length of time there so I suppose it has to be put on the "maybe will revisit" pile

Â