wordpress

Big_John_10

After some advice from the very smart people who use VT.

Looking to set up a simple site. I've found a WordPress theme that will basically be my site but I need a WordPress site to upload it to.

I'm a little confused with the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?

I've seen you can buy a host with a wordpress site, anyone have any experience with that? Any recommendations?

Once I'm up and running it seems pretty simple to purchase the theme I want but very confused on how best to get started.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Having your own hosting set-up will allow for more in-depth customisation of Wordpress and theming options. You can't upload themes to sites hosted by Wordpress themselves I believe.

It all depends on what the site is for really, how many pages it will have and so on. As a CMS (Content Management System) it does a great job and you'll have no problem updating information, images and so on without any help at all really.

In terms of hosting, I would make sure to go for a UK based provider, I use lcn.co.uk myself but there are plenty out there. I have had bad experiences with GoDaddy so I always tell people looking for hosting to stay away from them specifically.

My advice has changed. I'd recommend squarespace.com rather than wordpress.

Squarespace is very, very good. In fact, I'd definitely recommend them if the information you need to have on the site is basic. They have some lovely themes too.

Edited by samjp26

Cheers for the tips.

I've used weebly for another site which to be honest was perfect for my needs and ridiculously simple to use.

I'll have a look at squarespace and see if they have the theme I need.

With the hosting once you're set up with a host is it pretty simple to edit your site? Like I say my only experience is weebly and with that I just open my site and drag and drop what I want.

Cheers for the tips.

I've used weebly for another site which to be honest was perfect for my needs and ridiculously simple to use.

I'll have a look at squarespace and see if they have the theme I need.

With the hosting once you're set up with a host is it pretty simple to edit your site? Like I say my only experience is weebly and with that I just open my site and drag and drop what I want.

If you get hosting with Wordpress already installed then you won't have a problem, you'll just have to login to www.whateveryourdomainis.com/wp-admin. 

Deffo have a look at squarespace though, all of their packages have the option to include ecommerce, blogs etc. You get a free domain too.

If I get hosting with WordPress am I then always committed to that host or could I move the site?

You can move wordpress installs from host to host. Or you can self host. Wordpress installs are the biggest source of DDoS attacks on the internet at the moment and most blog owners have no idea they've been compromised.

You can import the wordpress site into squarespace, but it's not worth the first step, just use squarespace :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â