Problems with streaming sites (viruses)

villaguy

I've had various issues on my PC from viruses where I've had to download my operating system and start afresh a few times. I don't see this as a problem as it doesn't take too long and I haven't got any important documents saved to it, I pretty much use it entirely for watching streams of football. Anyway, everything is working OKish at the minute, it takes me a few attempts to load the internet but once it does everything works fast. The one thing that has happened since yesterday is I can't get any sound through my audio devices. Is this because of a virus? If it is I'll just download windows again, has anyone got any ideas?

Edited by villaguy

I'm going to preempt Limpid's excellent advice, and say that if all you use your PC for is web browsing, stop **** around with Windows. Especially if you're visiting such dodgy sites that you're regularly installing your OS, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Get yourself on to Ubuntu. It's free, takes about 10 minutes to install, and the only issues some people have with it are to do with running specific Windows-only software, which doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you. You'll be able to fill your boots with dodgy streaming sites with no chance of malware.

• Like 3

Is Word and Excel windows only? Is Ubuntu an OS?

It is an OS, and doesn't run Windows software (which is why you don't need to worry about the Windows malware you may encounter on some of the streaming sites) . MS Office is Windows only, but LibreOffice (or even Google Docs) does the same thing.

If you're unsure before jumping ship, you can download Ubuntu, burn it to a disc, and boot the OS from the CD to give it a test run before you actually install it (it will be a lot slower when running from a CD, so don't let that put you off).

Edited by Davkaus

You could install several os's on your computer instead of just relying on windows or use VMware workstation. That way you could use windows if you want to install Office and another os for the internet. Just a suggestion!

Except use virtualbox. Far easier than VMWare.

Except use virtualbox. Far easier than VMWare.

VMWARE is pretty easy actually, but i haven't used virtualbox so don't know and if its free then that fair enough.

I get the feeling Villaguy is reading all of this virtual machine stuff wondering wtf is going on. Did you make the jump, or have you reinstalled Windows 5 times this week? :)

On a side note...After 3 days of dicking around due to a very poor implementation of VMWare on a ridiculously isolated Vsphere server (firewalled off to the extent you can *only* access it via RDP, every other protocol is blocked,  and the damn console is physically locked away..), and using a Windows 7 build process that only works via USB, I finally got a proof of concept Win7 VM to build. Half of me feels proud, the other half is too busy hating my IT security team.

I get the feeling Villaguy is reading all of this virtual machine stuff wondering wtf is going on. Did you make the jump, or have you reinstalled Windows 5 times this week? :)

On a side note...After 3 days of dicking around due to a very poor implementation of VMWare on a ridiculously isolated Vsphere server (firewalled off to the extent you can *only* access it via RDP, every other protocol is blocked,  and the damn console is physically locked away..), and using a Windows 7 build process that only works via USB, I finally got a proof of concept Win7 VM to build. Half of me feels proud, the other half is too busy hating my IT security team.

Yeah it is a bit confusing, I downloaded the ubuntu but then it asked me to burn it to a disc so I just re loaded windows. After which the audio still didn't work which I found was because both the speakers and my headphones are broken, got some new earplugs now though. If I get any more issues with streaming I'll persevere with trying to decipher what you tech geniuses mean

Â